Will you change the amount of alcohol you consume when you start TTC?

HippyMumma23

Reaction score
I go out one evening a week. Sometimes I go to my friends house, sometimes I pop to my local pub with my girl friends. Always there is wine involved! Sometimes there might be quite a lot :rofl: Not an embarassing or worrying amount of course, but enough to make me re think it when I ttc.

The thing is though, if it take me 6 months to concieve I dont want to be a boring none drinking during that time. But at the same time I dont want to go out and have big fun then find out im pregnant- imagine the guilt.

Only thing I can think of is to early test with IC's which I was going to try and avoid!

Will anyone else be the same as me?

x

I hardly drink anyway but if i was TTC i wouldnt want to go on big binges in case i was pregnant. I wouldn't completely stop until i found out i was pregnant, but i would just have the odd glass of red wine.

I hardly have any alcohol nowadays already so I don't think it be hard to not have any a all again-

I don't drink much neither. Just a glass of wine or two once a week and one the rare night out I have a few more but never get drunk. I won't cut it out but I will maybes cut down a little bit more on a night out - that only happens about once every 6 weeks though.

I don't really drink much anyway so I'm not too concerned abotu whether I cut down or not when TTC - but I would be sure not to have any occasions where I drank a lot on one day (again, it's exceedingly rare for me to have more than two drinks anyway).

I suppose the only time I tend to drink more is over Christmas but as we're planning on TTC from January, this Xmas will already be out of the way and hopefully by Xmas 2010 I'll have had a BFP.

K x

I think thats what I will probably do. Just have a limit of 2 drinks and then go onto soft drinks. And if I think I could be I will test before I go out, to make sure.

I dont really drink, I used to have a few glases of wine with OH at the end of the week, but It gives me migraines now, and I cant have lemonade with spirits or a beer to make a shandy as im allergic to Lemon lol.
So If I do drink I have the occasional half a lager, but TBH I dont miss it, I dont like the feeling of being drunk, Ive been tipsy a few times but I like to be in control so dont go too far.
Bet I miss it when I Cant have it tho lol xx

lol... I guess I am a boring non-drinker. I just dont have the time or evergy for it anymore.

I read somewhere that as the baby, in particular it's organs don't start to develop until about 3 weeks, very little of your blood goes into the embryo and so it shouldn't be a problem. I have 2 friends who had been drinking before they knew they were pregnant and their doctors said there was nothing to worry about at such an early stage. Seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions abut it though. I'm just going to make sure i don't have too many if i think there's a chance i could be pregnant but won't be giving up altogether until i know i'm pregnant.

Hiya, when I was TTC my first LO, I didnt touch a drop of alchohol. When we stopped TTC and I went back to 'normal' - having a few drinks on the weekend - I conceived the same month! From my own experience I dont think it would make a huge amount of difference tbh, maybe just cut back a little bit if you have a bit of a drinking sesh!

This is one of the reasons that I wanted to plan my pregnancy. As I also chart, I would stop drinking completely before ovulating and would continue to be a teetotaller during the two-week wait. I don't consider the risks to the fetus from alcohol to be acceptable (as in, I decided that I wasn't comfortable with them personally), so I was happy to be completely booze-free during that time.
I intend to do the same with the next TTC. It just makes sense to me.
Alcohol can have a negative effect on fertility, too, so I think there are lots of benefits to cutting it out or really limiting it. I wasn't drinking lots before TTC, but I prefer not be drinking much at all, especially during ovulation and after.

I guess there is only going to be one weekend a month where I would have to be more careful- just incase.

Either way I reckon I will cut down a bit anyway just because its good to be all healthy for quick conception etc.

I think i will stop drinking in the house but in social situations if i dont drink people would think there was something up like im allready pregnant. Remember that it wasent so long ago that pregnant women were incouraged to have a pint of stout every night to help with their iron levels.

I don't really drink that much at all. Generally what happens is that I drink absolutely nothing for months and then really go for it at an adhoc party or christmas or something. As we are ttc in september, I will be fine carrying on not drinking until christmas and if I am not sure whether to drink at christmas, then I will test as early as I can for that month only as Christmas is the only time really that I love to really get drunk!! x

I won't change at all the amount of alcohol I drink

Why? Because I don't and have never drunk a drop :p

I have had about 3 glasses of wine in the last 18months 9 of which I was pregnant and didn't touch a drop, although i had a real craving for lager, ended up buying non alcoholic stuff and i still couldn't drink it coz I felt guilty. Won't drink at al when TTC

Remember that it wasent so long ago that pregnant women were incouraged to have a pint of stout every night to help with their iron levels.

Maybe, but they didn't know then what we know now. Trust me, especially when you know the effects even a little alcohol can have on neurological development you don't want to take the risk.
That's why I won't touch a drop from the word go. Saying that, I guess it's a lot easier for me anyway, since I drink virtually nothing. So I won't have a problem not drinking and I won't have a problem "hiding it".
Speaking of hiding it: If people expect you to drink but you don't want to you can always invent a stomach ache (or even better: exess stomach acid!) and say the gp banned you from drinking for a few months. I'd rather tell a little white lie than go against my gut feeling just so people don't know I'm TTC.

I very very rarely drink and when I do it is usually no more than two drinks so I probably won't change my habits. I usually don't drink at all when I go out. When I get pregnant I won't touch a drop.

I gave up alcohol about a year ago so won't be a problem :)

Last time I cut it out completely - I'm not a big drinker anyway. Probably will do the same next time around.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"