Windy Baby!

mds

Reaction score
Hi,

Our little girl is doing just great. We feel blessed that she is so easy going and an absolute joy to be with.

However, we have 2 areas where things could be better. Firstly, she seems to be developing very bad colic/trapped wind in the evenings. It's starts after her 6PM feed and can last right up to midnight (off and on). We do usual burping tricks - over the shoulder, on her tummy, bicycle kicks etc - but nothing really seems to help. We started her on Infacol a couple of weeks ago which seemed to help but now we seemed to have normalized her "witching hour" and the colic/wind is just something we live with. We'd like it stop, for her sake and for us too.

Secondly, sleep! We've never had more than 4 hours unbroken sleep yet (just over 6 weeks old). We have a lot of friends at a similar stage who's babies are sleeping through. We haven't gone down the dummy route and would prefer not too, but we would really like to progress beyond 4 hour stints.

Does anyone have any hints/tips/advice on the above?

First - what seemes to help Lola's windyness is massaging her tummy and holding a warm cloth on it.Also try and put her on her tummy because that releases trapped wind.

Second - don't compare to your friends hun,at 6 weeks she is still quite young and every day brings a lot of changes.Lola still isn't sleeping through the night and she's 3 1/2 months.:lol:
Probably one she goes through her first growth spurt she will be sleeping more.

:hugs:

I personally found Infacol constipated Jasmine, so I stopped it...

Are you breast or bottle feeding? Jasmine was bad for the first couple weeks with colic until we changed her over to a soy product, she still has the odd cranky day, but I think it is more related to growth spurts.

Jasmine is 10 weeks almost and does not regularly sleep through, sometimes she does, sometimes she doesnt.... Alot of babies dont sleep through until they are on solids because a liquid diet is simply not filling. Also solids will help with wind and colid once she is ready too.

Hi hun. I found that putting Grace on her tummy helped with trapped wind/cplic.

With the sleeping through, Grace was 10 months when she slept for more than 5 hours stints in the night and was 12 months ish when she first slept through the night. Every baby is different, but at 6 weeks waking every 4 hours is a healthy pattern xxx

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

She is 100% breast fed.

Has anyone tried anything other than Infacol and grip water for wind/colic?

It may be something you are eating which could be bothering her, if you have any dairy product...

I use gripe water and thats it, but she has never been super bad. I always save her bath for the evening though...

I breastfed Grace and found that it was coffee that was causing her stomach/wind problems. When we realised, i gave up coffee and it got alot better. I just used infacol by the way. You could ask your GP if there is anything else you could give xx

Charlie suffers with colic but he is bottle fed, we have changed his bottles to Dr Browns which i know wont help you but we had him on dentinox as well to start but when i went to get some more the store didnt have any so we had to get infacol instead but i think both work just as well. We have tried gripe water but found it didnt work. I have found as well that a bath helps with colic and charlie loves his bath he also spends a lot of time during the day when i can see him on his tummy which he loves.

Charlie isnt sleeping through yet either and i cant wait until he does but it will be when he is ready, he goes 5 1/2 hours from his last feed after 8pm so it can be anything from 1am to 3am when he wakes then he goes another 4 hours.

Hope the colic eases for you becuase it really isnt nice. x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->