Winter Babies

Kitters

Reaction score
Beware the clueless first time mum! :wacko:

I am totally lost when it comes to preparing this October baby's wardrobe :shrug: I've bought loads of long sleeve bodysuits and sleep suits in newborn and 0-3, and a few precautionary tiny baby bodysuits. I have hats, socks, mitts etc, too. I don't really plan on putting him in 'real' outfits for a while, apart from gifts or for when we have special visitors. I just want him to be cosy and comfortable for his first few weeks/months.

Now I'm panicking thinking I should have more clothes to build layers. What on earth do babies wear?!?! What are vests?! Will I know if he's too hot or cold?

I have never, ever been around babies and so just really don't know what I'm doing here :blush: any help MASSIVELY appreciated!!

Sounds about right to me what you already have. Also you may need a coat/snowsuit type thing for going outdoors obviously. Clothes wise that's all I need now for my little one. Body suits I assume is the same thing as vests lol, think people just call them different names. Depending on how warm/cold it is you can layer with blankets too. My daughter was born in January and I used to dress her in vests and sleep suits most of the time.

Well I'm a second time Mum but my first was a May baby! Am planning on vest + sleepsuit most of the time for my November baby (won't do many outfits in the first few months). Figure that will be enough in a centrally heated home - with hat + blankets + probably all in one snow suit if it's cold for going out (which I'll have to do lots more than when my son was small as I'll be taking him to and from Nursery)

And yes - bodysuits and vests are the same thing. Personally I'm going for short sleeved ones under long sleeved sleepsuits but that's just my choice.

My first little boy was born in March, so although it was a little cold, it wasn't freezing. This time round I'm due in October and will be layering short sleeved vests with long sleeved bodysuits and then blankets etc for when she's asleep or if it's really cold. Snowsuits for when we're out and about :)

I had my first little girl at the end of September. The nurse told me not to overdress her because we didn't want her to overheat. She said that babies just need one layer more than you would need.

Yes bodysuits and vests are the same thing :) my ds1 was born in April and we had a heat wave and then summer weather so his wardrobe was mainly summer clothes but this baby is due in November so I have to totally rethink! Like others have said snowsuit/pram suit for outer wear when outside with hats, mittens and blankets, I'm going to buy short and long sleeve vests see how I get on and mainly sleep suits indoors x

And yes - bodysuits and vests are the same thing. Personally I'm going for short sleeved ones under long sleeved sleepsuits but that's just my choice.

That is what I did with my daughter. She was born in September but didn't leave the hospital until November when it was cold. The bodysuit/vest/onesie (we call them onesies here) also helps keep diaper explosions off the sleeper. I only ever used her snow suit once. It was too big and bulky. I used to dress her warmly, put a blanket over her in the car seat and then cover the car seat with a cover that was only open where her face was.

Hey,

As a fellow first time mommy, I'm so glad that you asked about this! My baby isn't due until the beginning of December, and it's going to be so cold in Canada. The terminology is N. America is different than UK, so when I hear 'vest', it definitely means something different over here (think, Marty McFly in Back to the Future) But...I actually came across this list yesterday (conveniently created by Momtastic itself!) and find it fairly helpful, although I won't really know if it's actually a good suggestion of items until baby comes and I really see if we need more or less:

https://www.momtastic.com/shopping/398909-how-much-baby-clothes-do-you-need/

i have 2 december girls and due nov baby.

When i left with hosp with my second she had bodysuit (short sleeves) and sleepsuit on. Then put into a snowsuit (all in one) and hat. With blanket over.
At home it was always bodysuit followed by top/trousers (then coat/jacket if going out)

Hey,

As a fellow first time mommy, I'm so glad that you asked about this! My baby isn't due until the beginning of December, and it's going to be so cold in Canada. The terminology is N. America is different than UK, so when I hear 'vest', it definitely means something different over here (think, Marty McFly in Back to the Future) But...I actually came across this list yesterday (conveniently created by Momtastic itself!) and find it fairly helpful, although I won't really know if it's actually a good suggestion of items until baby comes and I really see if we need more or less:

https://www.momtastic.com/shopping/398909-how-much-baby-clothes-do-you-need/

You definitely will want more than that when it comes to onesies and sleepers. 7 onesies does not give you one for every day of the week. That would last 3-4 days, but if you have a baby that spits up or has messy diapers it would be less. I had at least 20 onesies for my daughter when she was born. I'd triple the amount of sleepers too, 4 is not enough. Every spit up, drool, dribble etc gets on them and they get wet which turns smelly after it dries. We went through 2-3 a day. My daughter spit up often so she was wearing a bib at every feeding, but it would still manage to get on her clothes under the bib. You will also want to make sure you have enough to always have at least one change of clothes in the diaper bag when you go out. If I was going out for longer than a couple of hours, I'd bring 2 changes of clothes just in case.

Thanks ladies, some great advice here! I'm going to keep stocking up on sleepers and bodysuits and start looking at snow suits.

This will be my second winter baby, my son was born in February 2012 and my daughter will be born in October, lots of sleepers is what he stayed in but I put a short sleeve obese under it, in case he got hot, little hats when we went out and if the sleeper was thin socks underneath :) . One of the car seat covers was great for when we were out and about but make sure not to dress them in thlck clothes when using the. over or unzip it while they're in the car or they will burn up. Have receiving blankets on hand. Always pack extra clothes, in case of a diaper explosion or spit up right down to extra socks, I figured this one out the hard way when I had to buy my son an entire new outfit down to his socks due to an explosion

Yep, lots of long sleeved vests and sleep suits for us too and probably some knitted cardigans too for when it's chillier. I do think the general rule of one more layer than you need is a good one for baby too. Remember that if you're checking how hot they are too you should feel the back of their neck and not their hands, feet or forehead xx

Yep, lots of long sleeved vests and sleep suits for us too and probably some knitted cardigans too for when it's chillier. I do think the general rule of one more layer than you need is a good one for baby too. Remember that if you're checking how hot they are too you should feel the back of their neck and not their hands, feet or forehead xx

I was told to feel their belly. My daughters hands and feet were always cold but her belly was always nice and warm and her temperature was fine. She wouldn't keep mittens or socks on, even as a newborn and still won't at almost 2 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->