Winter Elizabeth Swift 22/01/09

kirstyloo82

Reaction score
So, as promised here is our story -

i had mw appt on tuesday 20th and was well and truly fed up as was past due date. she said that given my symptoms, baby would arrive any minute, but booked me for a week later for assessment at day unit and induction planned for 31st. i was so disappointed. that night i had a few contractions about 9pm but nothing serious, and after so many other symptoms, i didnt believe that they would come to anything.

3am i was woken with painful contractions. started timing them at 12 mins apart. spent the rest of the night pacing, as the time between gradually reduced until 8am wednesday to 4mins apart. i had a bath and the time increased but they were still painful. throughout the morning they were really irregular but very painful and we went into labour ward at 2.30pm. i was assessed by mw as 2cm, but cervix was thick and far back so not favourable. we came home. i took another bath and walked around for a bit. by 7pm the contractions were more intense and 4mins apart so we went back into hospital. on assessment i was still only 2cms but cervix much better. i wasnt coping well with the contractions so i had a diamorphine injection, and was sent to antenatal ward to walk about a bit. when we got there, i was able to rest and managed to go to sleep. at about 10.45pm the injectionwas wearing off and i could feel everyhting again. the contractions were very close only a minute or so between. i was reassessed and was 4cms. mw did a sweep and could feel waters bulging. we went to labour ward where i used gas and air to deal with each contraction. i had wanted to get in the pool, but babies heart rate kept dipping so i needed to be on the monitors. i opted for epidural as i wasnt coping at all, and still thouhgt i had ages to go. it took a while to organised, and then ages to get in but it was done by about 12.45am thursday. when they were checking me to see how much i could feel, it appeared like it hadnt worked as i was feeling everything. i started to panic a bit, but started to feel like i needed to poo, and remembered from last time, this was baby moving down. i pushed and felt her move. with the next contraction i gave 2 pushes and her head was born. i could feel mw check for cord around her neck, which was fine, and then with the next push her body came. she was lifted out but wasnt breathing. mw cut and clamped the cord, and tended to her. my oh was at my side and told me it was a girl. after what felt like ages, but probably only a minute the baby was put on my tummy and we were able to see her. i was completely overwhelmed and amazed. the placenta followed really quickly.

DONT READ ON IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH!
then came the scary bit. the baby was pulled off me, and oh told to get out the way (he sat in a chair with our daughter). emergency buzzer was sounded and all sorts of people came in (oh told me later that there was 15 people). basically i was bleeding a lot. i had a 2nd degree tear that mw had stitched, but bleeding was from inside and it wasnt stopping/slowing. the doctor took over and cut through the stitches and me and then had to use his whole hand inside. as epidural hadnt worked, i was only using the gas and air, so it was really traumatic and he was very rough as he was trying to work quickly. i had a senior mw stood on either side of me pressing hard on my tummy and shaking me (trying to stimulate my uterus). i just kept looking at my husband holding our baby thinking i was going to die, and sucking on the gas, praying so hard. after nearly an hour the doctor was stitching me back up. afterwards everything was explained to me - the uterus needs to be empty for it to start to contract and stop any bleeding, but i was filling up with clots, so the uterus wouldnt contract and was just bleeding out. the doctor had to 'manually extract' the clots to help, but then my uterus wasnt reacting quickly enough to stop the bleeding. it took a while, but eventually with a combination of the doctor and quite a lot of all sorts of drugs, it was sorted. i lost almost 2l of blood and am now stiched from front to back. ive had to have daily injections to prevent further clotting as im a little bit more immobile than i would be and traumatised to say the least. im feeling better each day adn the baby is a dream! im in love!

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 39
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 36
congrats hun, she is beautiful. You had quite a scary time, hope you heal quickly! xx

huge congratulations, she's beautiful, poor you having such a rough time hope you recover quickly :hugs: x

wow what a story, congrats, feel better soon

You poor thing, Sounds so frightening for you. But at least the worst is over and you have a gorgeous little one to love!

Well done for being so brave x

Congratulations hun she is beautiful.
Hope you are getting some rest too xx

Congrats on your baby sorry u had such a scarey time x

Congratulation honey and i hope you start feeling better soonxxxxxx

You must have been scared stiff hunn, gz on arrival of lo she is gorgeous, hope yu heal and feel better soon.

:hug:

beautiful baby, I'm glad you are ok

:cry::cry: wow how horrid!!!! im glad your ok though and baby too, i had epidural that didnt work as well, i could feel everything, and got straight out of bed and walked to get a bath:dohh: very weird but i also had clots too, i had really terrible back pains when i had given birth and i told midwife and she had to push my tummy in and push down like pushing them out there was lots of large clots looked like more planceta's:blush:

glad you and your baby are well. maybe you could get a follow up on wat caused that to happen they never really informed, just put in down to the fact i had high platelets:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->