won't lose weight for 6 months????

littledancer

Reaction score
Okay so I'm a bit confused...I was in to see the midwife today but ended up with an alternate as mine was at a birth. She told me that MOST women who breastfeed do not lose ANY weight for at least 6 months and that most actually GAIN weight after birth...WTF??!!:shrug:

She said I could expect to loose only about 10 lbs. during birth and that I wouldn't lose any more until much later!

She said it's only after about a year that most women start to lose weight. This seems to contradict EVERYTHING I have read- anybody hear of this before?? I know they say some women don't lose the last 5-10 lbs. until they stop breastfeeding- but I've never heard of NOT losing ANY weight until after the 6 mos. mark.

my midwife said the complete opposite hun, she said that i will lose weight, gradully mind ya, but because ur body is working so hard all the time the weight comes off a lot easier than people who bottle feed, buttt i guess everyone is different hun xx

my midwife said the complete opposite hun, she said that i will lose weight, gradully mind ya, but because ur body is working so hard all the time the weight comes off a lot easier than people who bottle feed, buttt i guess everyone is different hun xx

Yes, this was the impression I had as well and when I brought that up to her she said absolutely not, most gain...! WTF? Now I'm terrified as I am in the 'upper end' of the normal gain and will definitely have put on 35 lbs. by the end!!

I must say that's the opposite of what I've always heard too xx

Think your midwife is in lala land. I lost most of my weight BFing in the first 6 months....it was after I stopped I put on weight...opps!!
Its always harder to loose the last little bit but whether you BF or not those last few lbs are a pain in the buttocks!

I dont think that info is right!

I have always been led to believe the opposite - it better be bloody wrong anyway!! I got six months to lose 3 stone!!! lol

I only put on 2 stone and luckily it was mainly bump.
I lost 1 stone after 1 day of having Sophie and the other stone came off after about a maximum of 2 weeks! I was back in my pre preg jeans in no time!

I didnt breastfeed though
Everyone is different though :flower:

Oh littledancer, you are also very slim if I remember rightly which will be why you have put on the upper end of the scale (with my last one I put on 3 stone but lost the majority of that within 4 months of birth) and the only way you will put ON weight BFing is if you sit on your backside and eat mountains of junk food day in day out for those 6 months....

Think your midwife is in lala land. I lost most of my weight BFing in the first 6 months....it was after I stopped I put on weight...opps!!
Its always harder to loose the last little bit but whether you BF or not those last few lbs are a pain in the buttocks!

Thanks anothersquish, I probably sound vain but that was terrifying to hear! I've had trouble accepting the weight gain in the first place and feeling kind of down about it but have resolved to eat for baby now and worry about losing weight afterwards! :wacko:

Thanks for the perspective- I can breathe a bit now lol.

In my experience, most women, after the initial weight loss from the birth, lose weight gradually over the next year. I'm sure some women do gain, but everyone is totally different. They say some women will gain when they first start breastfeeding since hormones are released that make you very hungry (I can attest to this!) - so they don't generally lose until the 4-month mark. Some midwives say that it took 9 months to put it on and will probably take the same to lose. Personally, I lost all the weight really fast, but again everyone is different. I def wouldn't say most women gain though!
xx

Everyone that i know thats breastfed have lost weight much quicker than the girls i know who have bottle fed...

I bf my daughter and lost a lot of weight quickly!! i also watched what i ate but i ended up in better shape than before i was preggy! took me about 4 months to get down and in shape again.

Wow...I think she is very mistaken.
I gained 50 pounds with my son, lost 20 giving birth and another 20 in water/fluid loss over the next week. That was 40 pounds just in one week. (Granted my son was 10 pounds, but still...another 30 came off as well.) The last 10 came off within a few months.

there's a thread in baby club about how much weight did people lose - everyone's different but... loads of people popped right back. x

well my friends looking back to normal as she was b4 the pregnancy but with a little belly after only 2 weeks!! i think midwife was talking crap lol xx

at antenatal i was told 'it took 9 months to get you like that, expect 9 months to get back to normal'
erm, great!

if im totally honest i havent put on a lot of weight at all, i am all bump! I still wear my pre-preg skinny jeans (with the top button undone mind you!) so i am hoping that it doesnt take too long to get back to the old me :) preferably a new old me tho - skinnier than i was before!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->