Work based nurseries - too close?

Lousie598

Reaction score
This is all hypothetical - not even pregnant yet but the job is available now which is why I am pondering this. Any experiences of work place nurseries please?

Just wondering whether having a nursery attached to the work place is a good idea or not. I am considering applying for a job (within my current business) a site with an attached nursery. I am planning to use that nursery what ever happens as it is so much more affordable thanks to the staff discount scheme, even though it is a fair distance from where I currently work.

What I am wondering about it how difficult would it be to cope with? I have never had a child so I have no personal experience but would it be doable knowing that your little one is just on the other side of the building but is completely out of bounds until the end of the working day? Would popping in at dinner times be more stressful for everyone? Or is it more comforting to know the little one is under the same roof as you not a long journey away if you are needed?

At the moment I am looking at having to return to work after 9 months if the money gets tight or 12 months if we can afford me to be completely incomeless for the extra three months.

I'm sorry I can't really answer as I have no experience but I am not planning on going back to work as anything I earned would be spent on child care.
It would certainly be easier for you to drive to one place in the morning than drop lo off at one and drive to another, I can imagine getting yourself and an 8 month old baby ready on time every morning isn't easy.

x

I think the lack of additional travel would be brilliant. My LO goes to bed at 7pm, and I was getting home at 6pm before I went on mat leave.... add on another journey to get her from nursery.... that will be just enough time to feed and bath her and her bedtime will still be later.

when i put my oldest in nursery, i used one that was 2 mins walk from work and home. It was really good cause if they needed me i could be there really quick, or if i wanted to check on him he was just around the corner. The first couple of days are hard, getting used to being away from lo, but you appreciate them more, but then you also get to have grown up conversation instead of baby talk all the time.

I'd love to have a nursery close to work! My LO started daycare last months (at 8 months). we chose a nursery very close to our home, so I drop her in the morning between 8-9 and OH picks her up around 4 pm. But I usually don't get home until 5.30 or so, so I see very little of her during the week (she goes to bed between 6 and 7 pm).

I think you need to consider how long the commute would be - and if it's public transport or a car journey. Also, if you choose a daycare close to your house as opposed to work, it may be hard to get home on time to pick up the baby if you don't have anybody to help you. (Our creche closes at 6.15 - so in case I get out late from work, I could easily be late picking her up taking into account the 30 min commute).

I think having the option to choose a daycare close to work is super, and once the time arrives to choose - just consider all the factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->