Work following failed IVF Cycle - UK Advice Please!

Likklegemz

Reaction score
Hi girls

Hoping someone can offer me some advice with how you got on with work following a failed IVF cycle.

I've just recently went through our first IVF cycle with was a :BFN: if that wasnt hard enough I'm now having trouble with work. We have a new sickness policy in work which means if your off 3 times in a 6 month period or 10 consecutive days sickness you get placed on certain stages which evenutally you can be dismissed from your job.

I was already at the first stage due to hospitilsation earlier in the year following an infection from a HSG test.

I had transfer on 5th September, and my OTD was 16th September. I did go into work the following day but was sent home as I was in such a state. My doctor signed me off work for two weeks because I was so distressed and having horrible pelvic pain as AF came.

Anyway I'm being sent to Occupational Health (which I'm not very happy about as I've recently been to see them) and I've been told that 'as I wasn't pregnant' this sickness episode counts. I've found an article on line (Infertility UK and a HR website) that clearly states:

"Employers should therefore be alert to the special protection afforded to women undergoing that particular stage of IVF treatment after the ova have been fertilised but before implantation into the uterus. Following implantation the woman is regarded as being pregnant. If the treatment is successful and the woman remains pregnant she will remain protected until the end of her maternity leave.

If the treatment is unsuccessful, the woman’s protection will end two weeks after the end of the pregnancy. As a pregnancy test is taken two weeks after the implantation of an embryo, the woman will have special protection for those two weeks and, if the pregnancy test is negative, for a further two weeks from that time."

As far as I can tell - under that guideline (the law if anyone needs to know is following ECJ Mayr v Backerei und Konditorei Gerhard Flockner OHG and Sahota v Home office and Pipkin) means that for this sickness episode this should be classed as pregnancy related and therefore shouldnt be held against me.

Have anyone had trouble with work? Where there any policies relating to IVF absence etc that could help me show work? As if IVF isn't stressful enough I've now got this to worry about.

I didnt take any time off between egg collection and transfer and I did use a day's annual leave following transfer so it's not as if I've been taking loads of time off. Just feel penelised and really upset. THey've pushed me to start looking for a new job, but I doubt anyone would now employ me due to my sickness absence.

Any help or if you wouldnt mind sharing your experiences would be brilliant.

Thanks girls x x x

Sorry to hear your news. You don't say what your job actually is, but are you a member of a union? They could offer you help, support and advice and even contact your employers for you. Hope it works out for you.

Sorry to hear your news. You don't say what your job actually is, but are you a member of a union? They could offer you help, support and advice and even contact your employers for you. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks for replying hun! Yes I'm in a union and they're supporting me which is great - I'm just after other peoples experiences to see what happened with them and how they were treated. The union can only offer perspectives from within the NHS really

I actually work within the NHS which is rather disheartening really! :( different trust from the one I did IVF with.

Can anyone offer any experiences they've had?

Good you are in a union make sure you bring the representation to your meeting and this document with you... Hr wanted to speak to me after the loss of my 17 week pregnancy...my boss told them to behave themselves.... They only know how to push pens around paper., and follow guidelines.,is my opinion..

Thanks hun

I'm just so upset with the way I've been treated! I can't believe anyone could be so heartless! Considering the laws on my side makes it so much worse.

I'm speaking to union rep tomorrow hoping that they can clear some bits up and may take out a grievance as this is causing me far more stress than what I can cope with

I wouldn't mind but I've always come into work and give 100% so it feels like I'm ring penalised as we'd like a family

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->