Work issues

jlosomerset

Mummy to 3 boys
Reaction score
Hi girls

Dont know if anyone can give me any advice but here goes!!

Basically I have worked for the same company part time since last October, in that time our Manager had changed...for the worse!!.

I am leaving to go on mat leave in 2 weeks and discovered on Thursday that an agency is advertising what is potentially my role but on a full time basis, now as my desk will be the only free one in the office it looks like they are intending to replace me with someone full time.

They are advertising the role as temp to perm, but I have been told by others that after 13 weeks it has to become a permanent contract??

Basically, I have e-mailed my manager asking for written clarification about this but wondered if anyone has any further information for me, I really need to know where I stand when I go back from mat leave, can they turn around and say that I'm no longer needed as they need someone full time??

Any help gratefully appreciated

Janine x

All the rules are on direct.gov but basically Ordinary Maternity Leave (OML) is 26 weeks / 6 months... and if you return after this then you go right back into your old job.

If you take Additional Maternity Leave (AML) and then go back... they have to continue to employ you in a role no less than your original role. This applies to all sorts of things like pay, hours, skill set etc.

I'm taking a full year off work and know I may not end up in the same role when I go back. It may be that they are looking to take someone on if you are only going back part time.

Have you had any response from your work?

We employed someone new on a permanent contract to cover my mat leave and carry on as an assistant manager when I get back (I am the manager). But I was very short staffed before, plus I will not be able to work so much overtime now I'm a mum, so I welcome this move.

I believe the law is that after AML (ie the full year) you are entitled to your job back, or as close to it as is possible.

Thanks girls.

Unfortunately my immediate Manager is off on compassionate leave so obviously no response there.
I have had a meeting with the finance director who has assured me that my role will still be there and that they are moving someone else out of my office to make room for the new full timer.
Also had some good news through work in that they are willing to fund me doing some HR courses!!!
Am hoping to do these whilst on mat leave, mostly 1 day courses, means I can then up my hours when I go back to work to combine the 2 roles, this will in time mean that we can move house, yipee!!!!

Thanks for the replies girls x

They did this to a girl an OH's work. Took on someone new and permanent, but they only had her desk there, so when she came back they made her share a desk with this person, and of course it was impossible. She has now left after basically being bullied out of the job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->