working while pregnant (chef)

kj135

Reaction score
hello, im 16 weeks pregnant, and had midwife today everything is good and we heard the heartbeat for the first time.
im a chef in a restaurant, and my job involves long hours on my feet, in a hot kitchen, i have recently been off work sick for 5 months with back pains and was in hospital due to it. but im back at work and have been since just before finding out i was pregnant. i asked my boss about a risk assessment a few weeks ago as i was told i need one at 12 weeks, he replied *you dont need a risk assessment until your about 27 weeks*
well we saw the midwife today and she said i need a risk assessment as soon as possible and i should not be handling raw meat and fish.
my ex the father of the baby also works with me, we split up a week after i found out about the pregnancy (we still get on). but he helps with any heavy lifting i have to do, but he is not always working when i am. my boss is not supportive at all. but has said he will do a risk assessment next time im working witch is Saturday, so we will see if he does a proper one. i have read that if my boss cant change my working hours and conditions then he can susspened me on full pay is this true??
im worried about the stress of work as me and the baby have been really stressed with the fact me and the father spilt up (even though we get on most of the time its really hard and dont always get on) and that we still live together as we both have no where else to go, we live with his parents!!
do i really need the stress of work but cant afford not to work

can anyone help im sorry for such a long message

kellie x x

i feel so stressed and alone, im even in tears whilst typing this

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. I don't know anything about risk assessments but hope things work out okay for you.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I also worked as a chef but put in my notice as soon as I found out I was pregnant. My first trimester was really exhausting and I probably would have ended up getting fired if I hadn't. I don't know anything about risk assessment so I can't help you there. All I can say is working in a kitchen is hard and demanding work! More power to you for being able to go in every day. Know your limits and if you can't do something then ask for help and please don't go lifting anything you know you shouldn't ... and drink lots of water!!! GL to you

My oh is a chef, and I several times I have wondered how pregnant women can work on a kitchen late in pregnancy. At 23 weeks, my back hurts after standing for about 10 minutes and my feet start hurting quickly as well. I don't have any advice, but I do wish you good luck with working things out at your job.

Very sorry about the break up.. I know how frustrating and difficult it must be especially now. Hugs...

i should not be handling raw meat and fish.
This is silly, as long as you follow the hygienic rules and you don't actually digest raw fish or meat you will be fine.

Since you are already working as a chef your body can adopt to it during pregnancy nicely, it is not like you were sitting on your butt all your life and suddenly on 2nd tri you have to work as a chef, on your feet all day. However make sure to stay hydrated and take regular breaks (have a chair near by). And be careful of slips and falls of course.

I don't know anything about risk assessment!
But here is a doc I found of a generic risk assessment www.surrey.ac.uk/fahs/files/fahs_pregnancy_risk_assessment.doc

yeah i thought handling raw meat and fish was silly as long as i wash my hands on a regular basis like i do anyway then i will be fine. i am a bit worried about the stress of work at the moment as i have been through a lot of stress while i have been pregnant, and people keep telling me im too stressed and its not good for the baby.as for taking regular breaks its quite hard as the restaurant is quite busy taking 5 is almost impossible at times. i have just has a week off work and go back tomorrow and am quite worried as all this week i have been really tired and emotional. and am worried my boss wont understand as he is male he has no understanding of how women feel when going through this sort of thing

I know quite a lot about risk assessments, as I am in the throws of a court case regarding not having one done, and the Health & Safety Executive are involved. Before I type a long message are you in the UK ( otherwise it prob wont be relevant).

yeah i thought handling raw meat and fish was silly as long as i wash my hands on a regular basis like i do anyway then i will be fine. i am a bit worried about the stress of work at the moment as i have been through a lot of stress while i have been pregnant, and people keep telling me im too stressed and its not good for the baby.as for taking regular breaks its quite hard as the restaurant is quite busy taking 5 is almost impossible at times. i have just has a week off work and go back tomorrow and am quite worried as all this week i have been really tired and emotional. and am worried my boss wont understand as he is male he has no understanding of how women feel when going through this sort of thing

Stress: daily stress from work will not harm your baby. Warfare, abuse and other extreme stress might. What people say is once again silly as we all face some stress everyday, very few live protected lives with no stress.

You can learn a few relaxing techniques to help you out. I got a hypno birth cd set and has a lot of stress relief techniques that really helped me, it is worth looking into the hypno thing, just for the relaxation stuff they have.

I think you should wait until you see your boss again, in my experience so far males are more understanding than females in terms of pregnancy, they seem to care more. Women are tougher, especially those who had children, idk why though.

Even if normally you don't take regular breaks you must start taking them, at least 5 min off every 45-50 min.

Best of luck next week!:flower:

Basically there is no obligation to do a specific one, unless there are risks that that COULD pose a threat ( I would guess as chef there are). Basically if you had any kind of accident you employer will be in the s*it.

I would ask in writing what the position in ( paper trails are good in case something happens).

Also check what your contract says re. health and safety. My contract writes the requirement to do a risk assesment explicitly into in, so in failing to do one they have breached my contract.

If you want any info/advice pm me, I am quite familiar with the law now, and am taking my employer to a tribunal.

i understand that everyone has stress in there lives, but with the separation of me and my ex and still living with him and the way he treats me and the stress at work (that's not just the normal stresses of work) and that me and my ex work together and that my boss is no way supportive, it feels like i should not be under this much stress, i feel really alone as i dont get on very well with my family, all of my mates are also mates with my ex and his family are wicked but there his family so talking to them is hard. i fell like i should not be this stressed out. im finding being pregnant really hard as well i cant wait for the baby to arrive and am very excited but at the moment im not enjoying it like i hear most women do.

Thank you for all your help, im seeing my boss tomorrow morning so will let u know what happens

kellie
(feeling very alone and scared)

not sure where you live (sorry if you posted it later in thread) but I am a restaurant manager (our concept doesnt have separate chefs and FOH managers - some shifts were up front and some shifts were in the kitchen)

I know my general manager/owner HAD to make accommodations for me. There is some prep work I cannot help with due to my pregnancy, I dont do any lifting anymore, and if I need to sit down for a few minutes after hours and hours on my feet they let it slide. Lately ive been needing to eat snacks more frequently which they're letting slide, even though theyre not quite understanding as to why, it seems.

The health of you and your baby are a priority and they should have to accommodate you. You may need to look into local labor laws (you should even be able to get them online i'd think, or at least a number to call), but here pregnancy is considered a temporary 'disability' as they don't seem to know how else to classify it, so I get those rights. They cannot hold any limitations against me and I just put in extra effort in the areas I still can for good measure.

Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"