World Autism Awareness Day - 2nd April and some info on Autism

Charlotteee

Married Mum/Stepmum of 4
Reaction score
:wave:

I'm reading my monthly magazine and in it there is an article on Autism. Think its because of the World Autism Awareness day on the 2nd April

I thought i'd type it out so that people who are having trouble with there children and can't find a reason might have some answers in this. Its got quite a few facts in it so here goes :flower:

What causes it?
You can't always tell somebody has it just by looking at them. Boys are four times more likely to develop Autism than girls and only around 6% of autistic people get a full-time job.
Autism can pass from parents to their children, but nobody understands why the brain develops differently in affected people.
Autism has only been recognized since the 1940s, but famous people on history like Mozart and Einstein may have had this condition.

How's it diagnosed?
Getting the condition identified can take time because there is no medical test available. The diagnosis is based on behavior and while some people may have severe difficulties, others may have only mild ones: one person may like to be cuddles while another hates being touched; one may be upset by loud noise, the other is fascinated by certain sounds; some are able to follow relatively everyday lives, others will need constant support.

So how do autistic people behave?
They may not speak or be able to understand what other people say or how other people feel. They might repeat what somebody says all the time or only talk about their favourite topic, such as cars or a computer game.
Routine's vitally important, which can make life very difficult. Having to use the stairs instead of the lift or somebody moving the kettle in he office for instance can cause an autistic person acute anxiety and stress.
Autism can mean that someone is extremely clever at maths or art and have an incredible eye for detail. On the other hand they might find using scissors or riding a bike tricky or have a problem like dyslexia.
Autism is often confused with Asperger's Syndrome, but this is just another form of Autism. A person with Asperger's doesn't have difficulties talking, but, like autistic people, might find it hard to fit into a group or need a rigid routine.

What can be done?
There is no cure.
The best course of action is to give autistic people the help and support they need through education and training to help them fit into a baffling and confusing world. However, some alternative therapists such as Shiatsu Practitioners or Reiki therapists say that their calming treatments can help sufferers deal with some of the anxiety this condition causes.
Omega-2and omega-6 acids play key roles in brain development and some research shows that taking fish oil supplements can help calm autistic children who have tantrums or violent outbursts. Vitamin B6 and magnesium is also recommended, but there's no actual proof that any of these supplements work. It needs research.

So remember Autism Awareness Day. Think about giving a donation to help those who are trying to find out more about this troubling condition.

• Contact the National Autistic Society - www.autism.org.uk - or if you'd like some support and advice on coping with autism, ring their helpline on 0845 070 4004

I hope this helps you xx

Good write up :). (I am always wearing blue anyway, although the colours I know are rather the rainbow colours (coming from the spectrum

And a Video I recommend , because I think it is great is this by Temple Grandin , she is a researcher on autism and Asperger and she is on the spectrum herself too . so worthwhile watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEAhMEgGOQ

Too bad the people who wrote that article are too ignorant to realize that they are not "autistic people" but rather people who have autism. It turned me off the whole article. :(

Too bad the people who wrote that article are too ignorant to realize that they are not "autistic people" but rather people who have autism. It turned me off the whole article. :(

Sorry hun.

I just typed what was there. Thought it might have helped some people understand what it actually is :hugs: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->