Worn placenta anyone????

LeeMacca

Reaction score
Hey ladies, just had an ultrasound due to a fall and they told me that my placenta is 'quite worn out'...anyone had this or know anything about it? I'm waiting to see the doc to discuss it but won't be seeing him for 2.5 hours.

Im no expert but isnt this is usually the reason they dont allow you to go past 42 weeks ??(so the placenta doesnt start to wear out)
Maybe this is happening to you but just a bit early. I wouldnt worry, the doctors know what they are doing and if there is any risks to you or baby they will probably induce you early.

I had induction at 40 + 12 and placenta was showing signs of it failing. It's good they have picked this up now. Like Charmy says they will probably want baby out sooner :)

My placenta is not working properly because of a previous abrubtion. It's causing low amniotic fluid, but he's gaining weight, which is very good.

Means its time for baby to come out. Not good to keep baby in if placenta is not working well ( which is what it means)

Its probably that you placenta has some calcification, at your stage of pregnancy some calcification/aging is to be expected, for them to say its "worn out looking" is so uninformative and insensitive! My last pregancy showed some signs of calcification and its rated on a scale and monitored.
Try not to worry, it has a 42 week life and by 38 weeks it should be looking a little worse for wear after all the hard work its been through!

Some studies suggest that placental calcification can be caused by cigarette smoking. Other studies suggest that using antioxidants in the diet can help to neutralize the effect.
Try not to worry too much :)

I was told at around 38 weeks when i had my last scan that my placenta was showing signs of aging. The sonographer pointed out some white parts on the screen but didn't seem concerned about it. Im now 41 weeks pregnant and presuming all is ok with it as nothing else has been mentioned!

My DD was born at 38+4 weeks with all the signs of a baby who had gone way past her due date because my placenta had started to fail. She was 5lbs 7oz and 17 inches long, and due to loose skin, they could tell that she had actually been losing weight towards the end. Had they known any of this, they probably would have induced me and gotten her out sooner, but I never had any late ultrasounds, and my fundal height always measured right on.

That being said, if they were worried by the look of your placenta, I think they would take some action. If they're fine with letting you keep going, then it must not be too worn out. :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->