worried about having smear done

Kelly s

3rd tri/ mum of 2
Reaction score
hi ladies, i had an abnormal borderline smear result a year ago n never got it followd up. now my consultant has to do a smear test on me on the 4th jan, am really worried about it and if it can cause damage, i no i should have had it followed up n its my own fault. i will be 21 weeks at the time and have had 4 m/c, he says its fine to do but surely if it was y do women have to waight till after they have had there bubbas in routine cases xxx

its up to you personally i would wait until after baby is here but dont know what to suggest

my mum had adnormal cells too she had to have laser treatment a few times as they came back but has been clear for a good few years now she wasnt pregnant at the time will ask her if she had a smear whilst pregnant

mum said never had one when she was pregnant and renders results invalid

I don't think they would doa smear if it was going to threaten your pregnancy. There may be a slight risk, but it must be that the risk to you for not being checked outweighs the risk to the baby. All you can do is think positive, and most likely, the baby will be fine. They have routine smears in pregnancy in the States, particularly when you first find out you're pregnant, and they wouldn't do them if the risk to the baby was high

A smear test should be fine as they just take a swab of your cervix. However, when you're pregnant they are less likely to get a clear result due to all the excess mucus around your cervix. They would discuss any treatment of needed, but chances are you'll be fine. The reason they wait over a year before looking more closely at borderline changes is because quite often it will revert back to normal.

its a known fact that ladies who are into their pregnancy and/or who have just given birth will more likely than not get an abnormal result. Its why they dont recommend smears til well after your 6 week postnatal.

hi, i had abnormal cells lasered in july and am now 16 weeks pregnant. i was supposed to have my 6 month smear this month but have been told to wait until 3 months after i have the baby - not sure why but they must think it is safe enough to wait. i suppose everyone is different. xxx

They do pap smear in US during the first appointment at 12 weeks when the MS rates are much higher than at 21 weeks. Don't think they would have suggested it if it would threaten the bubs. I do however think that even if you do get abnormal cells right now, there is nothing that could be done anyway, so why bother. Ask this? Good luck xx

i had abnormal cells removed a year past november and was supposed to have two follow up smears, i went for my first in June and it was all clear but was to have my next one in Nov. I spoke to my GP about this and she said i would not be getting a smear and they would wait till three months after i have the baby to do one. I wouldnt accept one im quite happy they are letting me wait.

Apparently you're more likely to get an abnormal result on a pap smear during pregnancy... I'm from the UK (where the NHS pretty much refuses to do them most of the time during pregnancy) and living in the US where they do them routinely. At my 12 week appointment I refused to have one done...and the woman said because I had the HPV vaccine that it would show up abnormal anyway :dohh:

I agree with Lanaross - that's exactly what I said - if they find abnormal cells what are they going to do? I wouldn't have an abortion so they could treat me, they'd have to wait until after the baby anyway :shrug:

You have the right to refuse one of course, so if you feel uncomfortable with it, have a good talk with your Dr...It can't make much of a difference to wait a few more weeks until after you've given birth?

xx

hi kelly s, i had abnormal smear results and had to have colposcopy, and had to have a follow up smear 6 months later but fell preg, my consultant said i need to wait until after baby is born to have smear done. guess every dr./consultant is different but just giving you my story. good luck hun x

thanks people, going on monday for it n then have my 20 week scan friday so a suppose i can wait till then n it will put my mind at ease that bubbas ok xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->