Worried about milk intake

CoffeePuffin

Reaction score
I am forever worrying about Millie's milk intake. I don't know whether because she has a cleft palate makes me feel like she's more fragile makes it worse for my worrying.

She's never been a big eater, or the best weight gainer. She has to work a little harder to drink because of her cleft, though she feeds very easily with her special squeezy bottles. Some weeks she'll gain 4-7oz but others only 1-2oz.

Sometimes she'll drink the amount she's "supposed to have". But more often she has around 200ml less than what she's supposed to be having for her weight. This makes me worry so much. She always has wet nappies (though she doesn't wet overnight unless she decides to have a night feed) so I know she's not dehydrated. But I'm so worried she's not having enough to eat. She pushes the bottle away after about 90-100ml (just over 3oz).. Almost all babies are having much more at her age. She only has about 100ml every 3 hours. She won't go longer than 3 hours and take more, and she won't let me feed her more frequently either. She's also decided to drop her night feeds which means she's having even less because she's not making up for it in the day. I've tried waking her up for a feed at night but she's not interested.

Her cleft nurse doesn't seem worried as she's never lost weight. But she rarely gains the amount the health visitors would like. The health visitors seem more concerned and she's even been referred to the failure to thrive department (almost two months ago and still haven't got an appointment!).

Not sure whether I'm asking for advice, words of support or what here.. Just needed to write it all down. I can't stop worrying about her. She's also teething and has a cold at the moment which I know will contribute to her lessened intake but she's like this even when she's well.

:cry:

I think you are doing just fine!

She is gaining weight, not losing or staying the same
She has plenty of wet nappies
She doesnt want feeding more often than the 3 hourly
She seems happy and content with her feed amounts
She has dropped night feeds on her own

Some babies are just slow gainers, but they are GAINING, which is the main thing. You are doing everything you can by getting her weighed regularly and talking to her cleft nurse. If the cleft nurse was concerned Im sure she would let you know, but she obviously thinks your daughter's feeding is fine. I know its easier said than done but try and believe that you are doing a great job and your daughter is happy and healthy! xx

I think you are doing just fine!

She is gaining weight, not losing or staying the same
She has plenty of wet nappies
She doesnt want feeding more often than the 3 hourly
She seems happy and content with her feed amounts
She has dropped night feeds on her own

Some babies are just slow gainers, but they are GAINING, which is the main thing. You are doing everything you can by getting her weighed regularly and talking to her cleft nurse. If the cleft nurse was concerned Im sure she would let you know, but she obviously thinks your daughter's feeding is fine. I know its easier said than done but try and believe that you are doing a great job and your daughter is happy and healthy! xx

Thank you for your reply and making me feel a little better!

I know some babies are just slow gainers. My concern is more than her intake hasn't increased in almost two months. She's having the same amount. Surely that's not normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->