Worrying about BH. Advice Please!

SweetPea3200

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I'm 22 weeks with my first babe and I've been experiencing Braxton hicks for the last week or so. They aren't necessarily painful, just uncomfortable and annoying. So I have a couple of question for ladies who have been through this before:

Did early BHs indicate early labour for you?
Did they get worse as your pregnancy progressed?
Anything I can do other than drink more water?
When should I be worried?
How will I know when real labour starts if I'm still having BHs?

Any answers and advice would be very appreciated. Thanks!

I've had these with both pregnancies and they started around 17 weeks last time. Very annoying and super uncomfortable.

I was a week early with ds1 and a week late with ds2 so no, they didn't shorten my pregnancy in the least. Occasionally they can be a symptom of a uti or dehydration so keep an eye on that. Mine didn't get worse as the pregnancy progressed but we're stronger near the end. In my experience, bh's feel nowhere near as strong or painful as contractions so it's pretty easy to tell the difference. Drinking LOTS of water seemed to make them go away. Also, if you feel that they just aren't going away after a day or two definitely make a visit to your Dr to be on the safe side :)

Hi Ladies,

I'm 22 weeks with my first babe and I've been experiencing Braxton hicks for the last week or so. They aren't necessarily painful, just uncomfortable and annoying. So I have a couple of question for ladies who have been through this before:

Did early BHs indicate early labour for you?
Did they get worse as your pregnancy progressed?
Anything I can do other than drink more water?
When should I be worried?
How will I know when real labour starts if I'm still having BHs?

Any answers and advice would be very appreciated. Thanks!

I have been lucky this pregnancy and did not get Braxton Hicks early on, and I haven't had many. With that being said, I've had 2 premature babies and 1 full term baby before this pregnancy and I had early and frequent Braxton Hicks with all of them. I had more Braxton Hicks with my full term baby than my other babies though! :thumbup: They did become more frequent and painful as the pregnancy progressed (I also started getting them at 15 weeks, so fairly early). They were never unbearable though, and didn't compare to real contractions.

My Braxton Hicks and labor contractions are quite different though. I imagine you'll be able to tell the difference when the time comes too. Braxton Hicks normally aren't regular and don't become regular as time goes on.

Just drink lots of water and try switching positions or doing something different.

I wouldn't worry unless the BH become regular and don't stop after a little while.

I posted on this in second tri last week. It's my second baby and I while I got them last time I didn't have many and they came later on into third tri. I'm getting them a lot more regularly and much earlier this time. I'm not worried at all, just as with anything if they get painful or accompanied by any bleeding etc then seek out advice, but otherwise, they are not harmful at all. They can start as early as 6 weeks - we just don't necessarily feel them. And believe me, you will know when real contractions start - there is no mistaking those bad boys for BH I promise you x

Thanks ladies!! Went to see my doc yesterday so I'm feeling much better about them. I still get a few a day but I'm not worried now. I'll definitely notice if they ever get more regular or painful. I have been trying to drink more water but I feel like I'm just peeing all the time! Oh well, part of being pregnant I guess:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->