Worrying about maternity leave

Natty_babez

Alexa-Jayne & Daisy-Mae
Reaction score
Hi

I haven't been at my new job that long so I'm entitled to maternity leave but not maternity pay but as far as I can see I am only entitled to 9-10 months of maternity allowance pay. I am wanting to take 12 months of which is fine with my employer and the last conversation I had they made it out like this was the norm for all employees but I'm worrying we will really struggle financially.

Does anyone know of any other benefits we may be entitled to ? When do I need to inform tax credits that I am pregnant or do they just need to know when I've had the baby ? I'm trying so hard not to worry about money as I know it's not good for the baby but I can't help it I'm losing sleep over it now

Xxx

Hiya,

We're in the same boat :)

I'm on maternity now, although I just passed the date to qualify for SMP although to be honest it's hardly anything more than maternity allowance.

I called the tax office to see if we were entitled to any additional benefits and found that once my maternity started I was entitled to child tax credit as mine and dh wages fell within the threshold. I called them this week and they are sending me the forms out to complete to apply. I'm not sure what the limit is on joint earnings but we also pay out for childcare for dd so that may also influence the fact that we are entitled.

It's definitely worth giving them a call; they asked both our wages and any outgoing such as childcare. As I say, I couldn't apply before my maternity started but they can backdate it. I'm just hoping the form isn't too complicated!

I would call just to see if you are entitled now - but you may be like me and not eligible until you're on maternity pay, in which case they'll tell you to contact once you're on maternity but I would ask them to send out the forms so you have them ready.

You can get working tax credit but your joint income is less than 16k.

You'll also get child benefit once baby is form comes in the bounty pack you'll get in the hospital. Judging by your profile pic I'm assuming you already claim for your existing child so you just need to claim for your new baby and will get £137.60 a month

Xx

Thanks Hun I went on a calculator thing on the internet yesterday and it said I may be able to get income support but then when I read up about it I don't think I will. We do already get child benefit for our daughter so will just get the extra for the new baby.

I'll definitely give them a ring and see if they can help me. When do I need to apply for maternity allowance ? It says can apply anytime after 25 weeks and can claim it upto 11 weeks before our baby is due but I'm gonna still be working till about 4 weeks before my due date and surely I can't claim maternity allowance while I'm still in work being paid by my employer can I ? When did you apply for your maternity allowance and how long did it take for the application to go through and payments be made ?

Xxx

Thanks Hun I went on a calculator thing on the internet yesterday and it said I may be able to get income support but then when I read up about it I don't think I will. We do already get child benefit for our daughter so will just get the extra for the new baby.

I'll definitely give them a ring and see if they can help me. When do I need to apply for maternity allowance ? It says can apply anytime after 25 weeks and can claim it upto 11 weeks before our baby is due but I'm gonna still be working till about 4 weeks before my due date and surely I can't claim maternity allowance while I'm still in work being paid by my employer can I ? When did you apply for your maternity allowance and how long did it take for the application to go through and payments be made ?

Xxx

it's better to apply for MA around 25 weeks to give enough time for it to kick in and so you get paid. I personally never had any issues with payment but I gave a lot of time just in case they processed things slowly. I did it at my local job centre, they'll just start your payment once you no longer get paid from work.

definitely give the tax credits a call, with 2 kids and paying child care you can earn £55k or 35 if no child care costs xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->