• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would like reviews and opinions on Medela vs. Ameda breast pumps

MamaBunny2

Reaction score
Called my insurance providers yesterday regarding breast pump coverage.

One provider covers the Medela Pump in Style basic kit - the motor, two bottle with attachments and tubing and power cord. I can upgrade to the On the Go kit for $100 out of pocket - same as above, with carrying bag, separate insulated bottle bag with ice pack and two extra bottles. I can get a script from my doctor and receive the pump the same day.

The other provider covers the Ameda Purely Yours - I'm not exactly sure which specific kit it is but the lady told me it's a $300 set and I think it comes with the basic stuff plus a carrying bag, extra bottle bag and I know she said it has 4 different flange sizes. I wouldn't receive this pump until after baby is born.

Anyone have experience with either, or both? Will I need a pump right away? I'm determined to breastfeed and am concerned about feeding baby breast milk if we have trouble or are unable to nurse at first. I want to feed baby my breast milk even if we can't exclusively nurse right away plus start expressing and storing a supply or some sort. I don't want to resort to formula if I can help it.

Good for you! Breastfeeding is an amazing experience and so convenient. I got a medela kit that came with motor, carrying case, two tubes, two pumps, two bottles and the power code. I didn't have to pay for any of it thanks to my insurance. Retail value was I think, $300. I went to edgepark.com and gave them my insurance and got my pump in the mail

I had a Medela and I loved it. It definitely wouldn't get as much out as when I was feeding my son, but it worked pretty good. I have zero complaints.

I personally didn't buy a pump until after he was born. I didn't start pumping until he was about 4 months old when I returned to work part-time (I would only pump at work). I definitely wouldn't discourage you to NOT buy one before you give birth...because like you said you never know if you can nurse or he/she can latch so it would be very smart to have a pump to fall back on (and wonderful to pump a little, go take a nap and let someone else feed them while you get some much deserved sleep).

lcmorla that sounds just like the Medela pump I can get through my insurance at no cost. I visit my doctor next week and will ask for a script from him to take to the local pharmacy that has them, get verification from corporate and can walk out same day with my pump :thumbup:

Kittyran I'm hearing very good things about the Medela from other nursing mothers as well. During my 6 weeks of ML I would like to exclusively bf for the first few weeks, but also pump some as well to start a supply and introduce a bottle a couple weeks before I return to work. OH is very excited to help with feedings but understands the importance of breast only for a bit until baby and myself get more accustomed to it. I would like to still nurse our son exclusively when I'm home, but establish bottle feedings just for when I'm away at work. He'll be home 2-3 days during the week while I'm gone so that will be nice bonding time for them.

I think by having a pump before giving birth, it will allow me time to familiarize myself with the unit and how it works, cleaning, etc. Not something I wanna struggle at right away with a newborn at home.

I have a medela hand pump and a double elctric purely yours ameda. I get the same amount of milk from both, however the medela hand pump gets it out quicker...it has a much stronger suction then the ameda. However, the medela lost its suction only 2 weeks after using it, I am so dissappointed. I am not sure if it was do to my handling/cleaning wrong or what but I plan to buy a replacement part if I can because I just cant get the suction out of the ameda that I can with Medela.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->