Would you be offended..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMAmummy

Mum to 2 boys & WTT #3
Reaction score
A work colleague who I have a lot of time for has told myself and a coworker that she's really worried about affording Christmas as she was off for a while with bad depression and her hubby has been paid off recently. The past week or so she's been having bad panic attacks about not making a nice Christmas for her kids and has had her medication upped because of the worry.

I suggested to our friend that maybe we could put together £20 each and I'll pick up some crisps, nuts, biscuits, juice and treats for her family and make up a hamper as a gift from both of us. I'll maybe add some wine and a Christmas dvd.

So, if you were her, would you be offended? My friend thinks its a great idea. Thoughts?

Sounds fab hun! Oh and I wouldn't be offended I'd be grateful for a friend like you!x

It depends what she is like. I would love that if my friend did that for me it would leave me with a tear in my eye. But i have a friend who is really stubborn and proud and would be a little embarrassed.

It's a lovely idea, and I wouldn't be offended, but I would feel like I should get you a gift in return, which in her circumstances probably wouldn't help. It really depends on the individual person concerned, and you know her better than any of us.

I wouldn't feel offended but if probably want to buy something in return, as said by PP it would depend on the type of person she is x

I wouldn't be offended but I would be the same as the others and want to buy something in return.

Thanks for all the replies. I was worried that we'd maybe make her feel a bit embarrassed but we're going to go for coffee as a trio and then give her the hamper to save her feeling awkward. I definitely don't expect or want a gift in return. If she says that I'll say to do something nice for someone the next time she can. I was telling OH a few months ago I'd like to buy some things for a family who maybe couldn't afford much this year but I was struggling to get information about doing that xx

I think its a lovely idea, christmas is all about helping others and giving. I wouldnt be offended at all :)

No I wouldn't be offended at all, it's a lovely idea.

I would be offended... but that's my hangup I suppse.

I do think it is a lovely idea. I know most people would be chuffed. I am doing similar for my grandparents this year. I know its odd saying I would do it but wouldn't want to receive it hahah

She must have been open with you about her money worriesso in that situation I think it is a very nice gesture and wouldnt be offended.

if I hadnt told anyone I was struggling (which I wouldnt) id feel like I was getting a hand out and feel like I had to repay, but she must have told you about it so I think its a good idea.

She must have been open with you about her money worriesso in that situation I think it is a very nice gesture and wouldnt be offended.

if I hadnt told anyone I was struggling (which I wouldnt) id feel like I was getting a hand out and feel like I had to repay, but she must have told you about it so I think its a good idea.

Yes this. I'd be a little offended because I'm not the type to talk about my money worries. But from the sounds of your coworker she's confiding in you, I'm sure she'd be touched that people care so much.
My mum's friend did something similar just after my Dad died, tbh there was no room to be offended because we were seriously struggling, we were massively grateful. I mean that was almost 11 years ago and it's still the most thoughful thing anyone has done.

That is a lovely idea, you are a great friend :)

Amazing thoughtful idea and I wouldn't be offended in the slightest x

If it were me I'd definitely feel greatful not offended

I think it's what Christmas is all about and that's a lovely thing to do. My work colleagues helped me out a couple of years ago as my husband was made redundant and I was really struggling. I am a proud independent person and I cried and felt a little embarrassed but I was soooooo grateful and still am to this day. X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"