Would you buy this?

Croc-O-Dile

Reaction score
So I'm really getting the hang of knitting. :happydance:
But I want to do something with it, so I was thinking of knitting baby clothes. But my friend who had a 28 week preemie suggested the idea of knitting preemie sweaters and hats since when she brought her son home it was really cold out and he was still too small to fit newborn hats and clothes but she had such a hard time finding preemie winter gear. So I was thinking of knitting preemie sized hats, gloves, sweaters, etc. and then selling them for really cheap. I'd be able to sell them for cheaper and still make profit because I would be able to get more product out of the yarn since they're smaller sized.

But my main question is, would you buy something like that? And what kind of yarn would be ideal? I was thinking wool since it's warm, but would that be an allergen or anything? And I feel really daft for asking this, but is preemie skin more delicate? Like are they more likely to get irritated from certain fabrics than a term-baby? I know each baby's different, but as a general rule, kwim? I'd hate to make a dozen preemie hats only to have the fabric irritate most of them! :nope:

Preemie skin is very very delicate, (mine cant handle anything but pure products like coconut oil) and preemies generally dont wear any clothing until they are out of an incubator and in an open cot, which will be 30+ gestation.

I dunno if I'd buy them though hunny, I don't know what it's like where you live, but so many people knit clothes or donate preemie clothing to the neonatal units. Our neonatal is always heeeeaving with clothes. Perhaps you should aim for the older at-home preemies? Theres always difficulty when you get home trying to find clothes that they dont get lost in lol!

I got LOADS of knitted things when Gaby was born. You probably heard the knitting needles clicking when she was born early! All my Mum and Grans friends knit, we got some beautiful things, but weren't really very practical. Gaby had a cannula in her hand most of the time so couldn't wear things with sleeves.

The wool never irritated Gaby, she came home at the end of Feb, it was freezing so she was in hand knitted hats for a long time!

One of the nicest things tho were blankets to fit the incubator, we donated eveything to the unit and they were especially pleased with the blankets.

Yessss! Blankets!!!! I still have mine!

Sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear in the op, I was going to aim them toward the at home/going home preemies.
Our Neonatal unit doesn't have much from what I understand. For some reason when I cleaned Livi's drawers out I found heaps of preemie clothes :wacko: I don't know where they came from, since she wasn't born early. So I donated them to the unit. When I was talking to the lady though she was saying how they can use all the clothes they can get, etc.

My Mum knitted like mad when I was pregnant. Then, when Andrew arrived early & small, she had to start knitting again - much much smaller :rofl: He has loads of cardigans & jumpers, some of which only now fit him.

My one suggestion? Make sure the wool is machine washable & maybe even tumble-dry-able. Preemies get through loads of clothes same as any other baby, so they have to be easily washed. And include a copy of the washing instructions with the item (e.g. give them the wool band).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->