Would you complain ? Inapropriate comment from manager

Mrs Doddy

1 pink 1 blue
Reaction score
I had a meeting (rather unsuccessful ) today about my return to work-( they are trying to give me a different role as I can't return to my old job) I had expressed my unhappiness about what they were trying to offer me and one of the managers was trying to sell me the position and said that it's an idea job especially when/if I go on to have more kids
:growlmad: why the hell is that relevant ? Offer me a shit job just because I MIGHT have more children (which has never been suggested to her, ever)

I'm due af this week so a little hormonal so am I overreacting ? Should I complain ?

I think I would complain - that's discrimination surely? It's a bit like saying you can't do this job as you might need to take time off....
What is it you did/ do?

I would. Thats pretty ridiculous IMO. What about being a mother makes you unfit to do your job?? I would most definitely complain.

Why cant you return to your old job? Is that their decision or yours?

You should complain as they are not legally allowed to say things like that. its pure discrimination.

Surely, your the only one who knows if your capable of fulfilling your current job role as well as tend to being a mum.

That sounds alot like they are trying to parm you off with a lesser role on the assumption that you'll just go off and have another chiild...

No, certainly not a professional comment to make, id have a word or give her something in writing to show your annoyance at her utter discrimination.

My job was full time before - my workload would have been too much for three days a week so they created their own new role, I'm not keen

We aren't planning more kids at the moment and was very hurt by that comment as no matter what my circumstances I should be treated like anyone else

Am really upset by this Comment

Was anyone else in the meeting who would back you up?
Seems a lot of businesses still see working mums as less ideal workers :nope:
I'm having the same issues myself, it's a shame that we feel forced out or like the bottom of the career ladder as soon as you have a child.

Having said that I want another one ASAP and plan to go back for the minimum time possible to get maternity again :haha: they brought it on themselves so I'll hit them where it hurts, money!!

Was anyone else in the meeting who would back you up?
Seems a lot of businesses still see working mums as less ideal workers :nope:
I'm having the same issues myself, it's a shame that we feel forced out or like the bottom of the career ladder as soon as you have a child.

Having said that I want another one ASAP and plan to go back for the minimum time possible to get maternity again :haha: they brought it on themselves so I'll hit them where it hurts, money!!

Another manager - yeah def feel like I'm the lowest of the low now :-(

I agree with everyone else. It is not on! It is disgusting and definately discrimination. It actually reminds me of when I started my job the assistant manager said to me "we dont usually employ young girls for managerial roles as they are unreliable. They go out all weekend and come in drunk/hungover and then go off pregnant"
Employers can't not give you a job/certain role "just incase you get pregnant" any woman any age can get pregnant, so does that mean they only trust that men will be "loyal" to the job?
Sorry I'm ranting now.. But just to get back to topic, definately go above their heads and sort it out now. They have to have a good reason for why you cannot go back to your old role and maybe having kids is not a good reason to stop you!

I wouldn't. I'd have taken that as she's trying to say it'll help having a lesser workload if you are planning more kids.

I see nothing wrong with that personally.

I wouldn't. I'd have taken that as she's trying to say it'll help having a lesser workload if you are planning more kids.

I see nothing wrong with that personally.

I'm not 100 % sure what she meant but whatever the reason bringing it up wasn't relevant to the conversation, if I had another baby I would already be in the role anyway

I guess there are 2 issus here.....

1. your part time working request

if they cannot justify your role being condensed down to 3 days then they are entitled to offer you another 'suitable role'

2. how they put it to you

I can see what they mean about a part time role being more suitable to a mum (or one or two!!) but if they put it in a clumsy was then it could offend

you could arrange another meeting to discuss it again and take someone with you to support you (are you in a union??) and raise the comments they made and ask them to explain (and apologise if needed)
hth
xxx

I would certainly complain. Whether you go off to have more children does not matter.

i dont think its dicsrimination nor to i think it warrants a complaint!

they were trying to get you to accept a different position, their are obviously pros and cons with everything and i dont see any harm in a comment mentioning that in the future it may be apossibility :shrug:

whether or not you take the position is up to you, but its not as if they have specifically done this in case you go on to have future children, which WOULD be discrimination

obviously we don't know the ins & outs but looking at it from the little you've told us I dont think it warrants a complaint either hun

if YOU agree with them that you cannot physically do the role of your old job in the new working hours then (looking at it from their point of view) what are they supposed to do? they still need to get ALL the work done but you are only available for half the time :shrug:

they arent making you redundant or anything so they are trying to accommodate you by offering you something else whilst still getting whatever it is that you do, done (I presume by whoever was covering for your maternity leave) iyswim?

obviously its not ideal & you're gonna feel a bit pushed out :hugs: but as they say "business is business" & they have to look at the bigger picture rather than what would be best for you unfortunately :flower: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->