Would you do this?

I don't even go outside to put my washing out if they are sleeping and I'm in on my own. It takes up to 20 mins sometimes...so no way! Someone could break in through front of the house and snatch them! I've prob watched too many true movies but hey!

My fear would be what if something happened to her while she was out? What if she got hit by a car crossing the street, and was rushed to the hospital with no one knowing her baby was home alone?

Far-fetched, of course, but not outside the realm of possibility.

I understand the fear, but still, exactly the same thing could happen at home. What if she fell down the stairs and broke her neck? Stabbed to death by a fake courier driver? Freak electrocution accident? None of these things are "outside the realm of possibility" but at some point you need to draw a line about what you worry about.

That's not to say that it's unreasonable to draw the line before "popping 100m down the road for five minutes", but it would also be fair to say that the realistic chance that something is going to go devastatingly wrong is vanishingly small.

I mean, I often read stories in the paper about scenarios where parents have left small kids at home for hours on end while they go drinking at a neighbour's place or at a pub a short drive away. That's obviously negligence pure and simple, but kids actually survive that level of neglect (relatively) unscathed all the time, so there is a very large greyscale between "I would freak out walking to my letterbox while my child naps" and "They'll be right for a couple of hours, we're only next door."

I totally agree--and we absolutely have to be sensible about what we worry over, and what we don't, or we would all go insane lol.

But, the major difference to me here is that being home alone with a baby is often unavoidable. Yes, you may have an accident, but you're not doing anything unreasonable. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said we have to draw the line somewhere--and it needs to be somewhere reasonable. Like you said, there is a whole lot of gray area left. That's where we have to settle into something we are comfortable with, and of course that will differ from situation to situation. : )

When it comes to things I may consider 'risky' I always think to myself ... Would I ever forgive myself if something happened.

I remember I forgot Bellas towel when she was already in the bath. My choices, leave her for a few seconds to grab it or take her out and she is cold for a few seconds ... In my head it wasn't worth the risk to leave her so I got soaked as I wrapped her in my cardigan. When she is napping I have hung the washing out. It takes forever as I pip my head in the back door every few seconds! Again not worth the risk (our monitor doesn't work outside!!!).

TBH though not much is worth the risk when it comes to the safety of my baby. I have carried her back and forth 4 time to get the shopping from the car. She screamed when I put her in her high chair and the buggy was folded away. My arms hurt for a while but at least she was safe!
Yeah...it's too dangerous to ever leave lo's in the bathtub alone. You can drown very quickly and in just a bit of water.

Totally agree with you...to me, my children are worth, well, EVERYTHING! And I have no idea why anyone would put them at risk for a cup of coffee or whatever.

I don't see why she couldn't get her coffee while the LO was awake anyway, I bet they would love to go for a walk! I know mine do.

I don't see why she couldn't get her coffee while the LO was awake anyway, I bet they would love to go for a walk! I know mine do.

She might have a kid like mine... I take him to public places each day so that he learns how to behave in public places, but it's literally exhausting. He hates holding my hand, wants to hold everything that's not nailed down and climb everything that is, even if he'd just spent the previous 3 hours running around at the park (I'll appreciate that in 12 years during cross country and soccer seasons, but right now I have no idea how to tire him out any more than I already do). Not a relaxing time, no matter what treat the trip is for. Also, I don't drink coffee, but if I did, taking him on a trip to the coffee shop is a sure 2h meltdown when he can't share what's in mommy's cup.

No, I would never do that.
As others said, to me it is not only the risk of something happening to my LO but also to me when I am out so I couldn't get back to him. It doesn't have to be anything serious or life threatening - what if you simply leave in a rush and forget the keys inside the house? that can easily happen to me!

Also want to add a story a girl from my antenatal class told me when our babies were probably about 3 months old. She was doing controlled crying with her baby and she once said that when she couldn't stand the screaming anymore she would just leave the house for a walk or to pop up to the ATM. I honestly didn't react to it at the time as I didn't know if she was serious, considering that I knew where she lived and the area and she would have been a good 5-10 min walk away from the closest ATM! Thinking back, she probably was serious, haha, but I was too naive to figure it out. :lol:

I really really cannot believe this. Her baby could have chocked :nope:

She might have a kid like mine... I take him to public places each day so that he learns how to behave in public places, but it's literally exhausting. He hates holding my hand, wants to hold everything that's not nailed down and climb everything that is, even if he'd just spent the previous 3 hours running around at the park (I'll appreciate that in 12 years during cross country and soccer seasons, but right now I have no idea how to tire him out any more than I already do). Not a relaxing time, no matter what treat the trip is for. Also, I don't drink coffee, but if I did, taking him on a trip to the coffee shop is a sure 2h meltdown when he can't share what's in mommy's cup.

I have a son like that. How is picking up a coffee a 2 hour event though? Especially 100m down the road.

You can get things for toddlers sr coffee shops like frothy milks etc. I don't go to cafés either but I still wouldn't leave my child and home, boisterous or not. I have to take my kids everywhere by foot.

I have a son like that. How is picking up a coffee a 2 hour event though? Especially 100m down the road.

You can get things for toddlers sr coffee shops like frothy milks etc. I don't go to cafés either but I still wouldn't leave my child and home, boisterous or not. I have to take my kids everywhere by foot.

Even if her kid misbehaves in public its no excuse to leave her alone so she can do something with no urgency or necessity behind it. x

The event wouldn't be two hours, but the meltdown would. :winkwink:
It really doesn't matter whether I buy him something too. Even if we both have waters, he just wants to drink mine and doesn't want his own, so if her kid is like mine, she would have to choose between not getting the coffee or having a meltdown that lasts all the way home and then some.
I'm not saying that's a good reason for leaving a toddler home alone, and I still don't know the setup of the neighborhood, so I'm not really for or against what she did. It just made me giggle every time someone here asked why she didn't just go to the coffee shop with her kid in tow.

Haven't read replies...

She might have the baby monitor set up to ring her phone? We do that when we stay at in laws (they have a house in their garden/10metres from their door and we set up the baby monitor to call us if there's a noise. But we also go and check on her often and don't leave her there long!)

She may have looked at you like that because she saw the shock on your face and realised her error? Idk. I'd NEVER do that anyway but I can see how she wouldn't think it's a big deal if she had a baby monitor on.

Haven't read replies...

She might have the baby monitor set up to ring her phone? We do that when we stay at in laws (they have a house in their garden/10metres from their door and we set up the baby monitor to call us if there's a noise. But we also go and check on her often and don't leave her there long!)

She may have looked at you like that because she saw the shock on your face and realised her error? Idk. I'd NEVER do that anyway but I can see how she wouldn't think it's a big deal if she had a baby monitor on.

Wow, which baby monitor does this? That would be incredibly useful during the winter so I could let #2 sleep inside and take #1 out in the cold. Our monitor is unreliable in the yard.

You need two phones to use it, maybe a tablet/ipad would work too. We use one called 'babycall' but there are loads of free apps that do the same thing. You leave one phone (possibly tablet?) next to the crib and take one with you. We've used it a lot and tested it and you can change the settings so it detects even very quiet noise/stirring and then when you answer the phone you can hear everything that's going on.

You need two phones to use it, maybe a tablet/ipad would work too. We use one called 'babycall' but there are loads of free apps that do the same thing. You leave one phone (possibly tablet?) next to the crib and take one with you. We've used it a lot and tested it and you can change the settings so it detects even very quiet noise/stirring and then when you answer the phone you can hear everything that's going on.
That is amazing. I'll definitely have to check this out for #2!

that does sound amazing but I really couldn't say either way if she had that. I suspect however that she would have told me about it when she saw my shocked face. I think if she did have such a thing set up then it would probably ok for her to nip out like that. Dunno, I'd have to think about it lol

I just read the original post, and haven't read any of the replies, but wanted to say that I'd be upset by this, too! A woman who lives near me just lost her 18-month-old baby because she slipped out of the house for a bit, leaving him home alone. He tipped over a dresser, which landed on top of him, and he was crushed. No way would I leave my daughter at home alone.

oh my goodness that is horrible! That poor lady and the poor little boy!

How horrible!!! That's one of my main fears, my son pulling something such as a dresser or tv over him. I obviously try to make sure everything is safe but you just never know sometimes.

I just read the original post, and haven't read any of the replies, but wanted to say that I'd be upset by this, too! A woman who lives near me just lost her 18-month-old baby because she slipped out of the house for a bit, leaving him home alone. He tipped over a dresser, which landed on top of him, and he was crushed. No way would I leave my daughter at home alone.

What an awful situation. Poor little boy :(

Where did she go to? And for how long?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->