Would you do this?

I just read the original post, and haven't read any of the replies, but wanted to say that I'd be upset by this, too! A woman who lives near me just lost her 18-month-old baby because she slipped out of the house for a bit, leaving him home alone. He tipped over a dresser, which landed on top of him, and he was crushed. No way would I leave my daughter at home alone.

What an awful situation. Poor little boy :(

Where did she go to? And for how long?

The newspaper story said she was gone for an hour grocery shopping. Authorities say that the boy would've survived if she was home and pulled the dresser off of him.

an hour?! I am sure she will never forgive herself but what was she thinking?!

No I would never leave my lo in the house. Anything could happen!!

She might think twice about it now having seen your expression and if she ever mentions it just explain that it's not something you would do as it's not safe. It doesn't matter how well your lo sleeps you just can't take that risk!! X

I've only just started to leave my 14 year old alone in the house for up to 2 hours max!! 18 months what on earth was she thinking toddlers are in to everything!! I'm constantly jumping up and running around after my 17 month old, when I run to the loo for less than a minutes, Evan though it's on the same floor I'm constantly talking to him saying his name so he is distracted by me...

I had to take a quick shower yesterday and left Micah in another room watching TV for 5 minutes and I thought of this thread! I normally shower when he's asleep but I couldn't yesterday. I guess I could have ran to a shop and back in the same time but I suppose the difference is Micah could come and get me if he needed me while I was showering and he knew where I was... I don't think I'd have heard him scream though if something had happened, not with the shower on although the door was open.

I had to take a quick shower yesterday and left Micah in another room watching TV for 5 minutes and I thought of this thread! I normally shower when he's asleep but I couldn't yesterday. I guess I could have ran to a shop and back in the same time but I suppose the difference is Micah could come and get me if he needed me while I was showering and he knew where I was... I don't think I'd have heard him scream though if something had happened, not with the shower on although the door was open.

That's different from leaving the house, its much harder to get delayed by unforeseen circumstances when you're just in the shower! Toddlers don't need to be in our sight all the time, just close enough that we can reach them quickly. Like Maria was playing outside in the snow (first snow of the winter :happydance: ) this morning while I stayed inside and I have no problem taking a shower while she watches telly.

That's different from leaving the house, its much harder to get delayed by unforeseen circumstances when you're just in the shower! Toddlers don't need to be in our sight all the time, just close enough that we can reach them quickly. Like Maria was playing outside in the snow (first snow of the winter :happydance: ) this morning while I stayed inside and I have no problem taking a shower while she watches telly.

I nearly always have my shower while ds plays downstairs or watches something but I can hear him, he can come get me etc etc.

Xx

I nearly always have my shower while ds plays downstairs or watches something but I can hear him, he can come get me etc etc.

Xx

Yeah I leave the door unlocked so she can come in if there's a problem. No way do I want her in the bathroom every time I shower!

A 5 yrs old fell out of the window & died few days back in my area, he was left asleep in the apt while his mum went down for 5 mins to drop her daughter downstairs to ride the schook bus :(

A 5 yrs old fell out of the window & died few days back in my area, he was left asleep in the apt while his mum went down for 5 mins to drop her daughter downstairs to ride the schook bus :(

That's a big fear of mine because of the layout of our house and the Window in ds room is very low.plus traditional window catches.
We have window locks fitted now so that he can't open them and when we want to open them it can be only a small amount and he can't change it.

Xx

Yeah I think to me the whole issue is response time. If you are taking a shower you are still there and could react within probably less than half a minute and I am thinking if the doors are open you probably would hear if he really screamed.

The child falling out of the window is just too heartbreaking for words! :(

Oh that poor boy :( I never let Maria be alone on the balcony when I lived in a flat for this reason - was terrified of her climbing up and falling out. No issue with windows here though, the windows that open for ventilation are too narrow for even a toddler to fit through plus they have mosquito screens and the bigger windows only open with a special handle that is kept hidden away.

The furthest I go when I leave LO in the house, is just outside the front door, to speak to neighbour etc.

I remember a while back I went to meet up with someone for a playdate with our kids, and she met me at the bus stop which was 15 mins walk from her house. And she'd left her 2 year old daughter napping at home.. I didn't say anything, because I didn't want to offend but I was really shocked.

I couldn't bear the though of my LO waking up and crying her eyes out because she was calling me and I wasn't coming, or she hurt herself somehow or got sick. It's just not worth risking.

The story of the Mother going shopping is beyond tragic, I'm sure she will never forgive herself.

I do think going out for 1 hour shopping is a bit different to nipping over the road while your child is asleep. While I personally could never do it, I'm far too much of a worrier, I do think some of the reactions on here are a bit OTT. The chance of something happening is incredibly remote - I know there are of course horror stories, but she had to trust her judgement knowing her child, her room layout (could be in super toddlerproof room / can't climb out of crib) etc. While I wouldn't do it, I don't imagine she is the terrible neglectful Mother some comments imply.

One of my worst fears is something happening to me in the house though and it can definitely happen - earlier this year a friend of a friend who was a single Mum, tragically had an annuerism (sp?) and her 2 year old was found around 1.5 hours later running round the house saying Mummy won't wake up.:cry: xxx

oh my gosh this is horrible, that poor little child! :(

I know this sounds stupid but i do sometimes think of what the headline of a paper would be. ' CHILD DIES WHILE MUM LEAVES HER AT HOME TO GET A COFFEE'
of course the changes of death are so small thats not what id even be worried about more just losing my key and not being able to get back in or something silly like that.

I know! Or the key breaking off in the lock or something like that. Mind you in that case Id smash a window but still those sorts of things do happen.

I know this sounds stupid but i do sometimes think of what the headline of a paper would be. ' CHILD DIES WHILE MUM LEAVES HER AT HOME TO GET A COFFEE'
of course the changes of death are so small thats not what id even be worried about more just losing my key and not being able to get back in or something silly like that.

This is a big part of what would worry me. It isn't just that something could happen to LO while I was out, or happen to me to prevent me getting back to LO, but the consequences of something happening to LO while left alone at home. What if a neighbour saw the women go out, knew she was the only one home with the LO and then the child woke up and the neigbour heard it crying? The neighbour would likely go over, get no response and call the police to tell them they believed a child had been left alone at home. The child could be fine but the mother could lose custody due to negligence. I can't imagine how unbearable it would be if something happened to the child and they were hurt or died while the mum was out- there is no way I could forgive yourself for it, I'd always be thinking "what if I'd been home". And the 'CHILD DIES WHILE MUM LEAVES HER AT HOME TO GET A COFFEE' headlines would be the final nail in the coffin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->