Would you give your child a tablet? What age?

I would'nt go out and buy an iPad jsut for Alex, he does however have my old iPod touch since I upgraded to iPhone, being second generation and hardly bothered if it gets broken then im fine to let him have it. He plays on it 1/2 times a week so its hardly his main toy he's sitting playing on all the time.

I agree its not a need, but what "toy" is? all toys are wants, some are more educational than others.

As I say I sit on the fence, if we got one it wouldn't be specifically his, rather the families. The twins can use it when they are older (we would probably get it for christmas) and we would use it too, but the main reason for it would be for the kids.

I don't think it replaces anything, it doesn't stop me teaching him the same things. It doesn't replace play time, outside time, etc.

But then I think its a flipping tablet that some people cant afford and I am thinking of getting one for my 2 year old! That seems crazy and im back on the fence lol!

Read your own post hun, your defending your decision which means youv already decided :)

If its a case of getting it for the family an lo will just have a go then thats differant if you where getting it just for lo as his own then thats a bit crackers (which was the point I was trying to make) but getting it for the family can be fun

Lyla plays with my iPad 2 all the time so we bought her an InnoTab for xmas but she still wants the iPad, I dont mind too much cos there are some really good educational apps out there

Dec had his own I-pod touch but once I got my ipad he stopped using his touch !! He uses the ipad more than I do, he even takes it to bed with him !! lol

I don't think I would buy one just for a child to have. It would be more for family use simply because it is so expensive. I have seen families out where maybe three kids all have one each.

I do think they have a fantastic educational use for kids and are great for their hand eye co-ordination.

My wee nephew loves using mine and I am amazed at how quickly he learns to use the different apps. At the same time though he is just as happy setting it aside to use play dough or bake etc. It's just like any of his other toys in that he's happy to play with it for a time but not constantly.

I do supervise him very closely when he has it and have bought a really good case that covers the whole thing. Mind use this is as much for me being clumsy as him!

My kids play with OH's ipad. I wouldn't get them their own though, far too expensive.

Tegan has an iPod touch - but you try getting a three year old to tolerate a rectal washout without something to occupy them... I'm sorry but it won't happen. I get really defensive when I see posts about this :lol:

^^ Bless her she deserves a iPad for having to do that everyday(?!)

Shes a very brave little girl :)

No - cos I want one first :haha:

More seriously, I'm looking at getting one each for my big girls for their birthdays (13 and 15). My son isn't interested - yet! When it comes to fi, by the time she's interested there will probably be a discarded one floating about for her to play with!

When i read this before opening i was thinking when my child is about 12/13 for his own. But i can see why toddlers do use them i do think they can be great for learning but im not 100% if i would want him using it everyday at such a young age.. im on the fence.

I agree its not a need, but what "toy" is? all toys are wants, some are more educational than others.

As I say I sit on the fence, if we got one it wouldn't be specifically his, rather the families. The twins can use it when they are older (we would probably get it for christmas) and we would use it too, but the main reason for it would be for the kids.

I don't think it replaces anything, it doesn't stop me teaching him the same things. It doesn't replace play time, outside time, etc.

But then I think its a flipping tablet that some people cant afford and I am thinking of getting one for my 2 year old! That seems crazy and im back on the fence lol!

Read your own post hun, your defending your decision which means youv already decided :)

If its a case of getting it for the family an lo will just have a go then thats differant if you where getting it just for lo as his own then thats a bit crackers (which was the point I was trying to make) but getting it for the family can be fun

yeah I guess I have lol! :haha: Its just I wanted to know what others thought, the first thing I said when OH suggested getting one for Christmas was, don't tell your parents! lol!

When i read this before opening i was thinking when my child is about 12/13 for his own. But i can see why toddlers do use them i do think they can be great for learning but im not 100% if i would want him using it everyday at such a young age.. im on the fence.

i doubt it would be everyday, although, at the moment he doesn't like it when i feed the twins, and in fairness with just me and two babies to feed it does take awhile and i cant play with him then, so he has my phone and loves it! he is so proud of himself lol! So this week he has actually used it loads and its been useful but by if it wasn't for that i wouldn't want him using it that much.

If we didn't have one, we might buy one for the family, but I would never consider buying one specifically for a toddler, that would be crazy.

Abby is very gentle with ours but she knows she must ask before she uses it.

ETA - Just read Tegans mama's post and I will conceed - sometimes it might not be "crazy" :)

I see no problem with them being used for education or entertainment for children. Abby has cerebral palsy and her OT and Education team have all suggested there are many apps out there which will help her with things she has trouble physically doing such as jigsaws etc.

After seeing the amount of slobber and boggies Brian smears over my phone and 3ds he isnt having a ipad :)

My kids each (even Kelana as my son gave his old one to her) have a DSi. Jasper has a 3DS. They have a Wii. They are allowed to use the computer that we all share, and it's in the living room. They each have their own user with parental controls and pre-screened websites. I am not into my kids hanging out inside all day attached to an electronic. They are to be in clubs, sports, on play dates, outside on their bikes/skateboards, or doing homework. On rainy days and weekends where there is nothing else...they can use the TV or other electronic..for an hour or two..then it goes off. They were 6ish when they got their DSi's and the same for the Wii. The DSi is good for cars and shopping.

Ryan has an iPad, I got it for him because last Monday he had an open reduction on his left hip and he's now in a spica cast (chest to toe on his left leg and to his knee on his right). Poor wee man has to wear this for 3 months so if it distracts him from the loss of use of his legs then it's a gods send.

Ryan has an iPad, I got it for him because last Monday he had an open reduction on his left hip and he's now in a spica cast (chest to toe on his left leg and to his knee on his right). Poor wee man has to wear this for 3 months so if it distracts him from the loss of use of his legs then it's a gods send.

poor wee man! Hope you all get through the next few months smoothly. i was in hospital twice on traction as a kid and it was horrible being stuck in bed all day. Good luck and hope its provides a welcome distraction.

LO has my old iphone and he likes things such as elmo calls and the fisher price apps. I wont be getting him an ipad for a long long time

Yes i would, when they are about ten lol, i don't see a need for a child to have one, and my OH would NEVER have it lol. Lo isn't even allowed to play with his leappad tablet without being supervised ! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->