Would you give your child a tablet? What age?

Ryan has an iPad, I got it for him because last Monday he had an open reduction on his left hip and he's now in a spica cast (chest to toe on his left leg and to his knee on his right). Poor wee man has to wear this for 3 months so if it distracts him from the loss of use of his legs then it's a gods send.

Poor thing!!!:hugs:

I wouldn't buy an iPad specifically for my lo's. We are planning on having a 'family' one that they will have apps on for them. I don't see why they would need one of their own tbh. The same goes for the Wii and my MacBook and my DS. My two are allowed to use them but i don't see why they need their own one.
I will consider getting them an iPod when they are maybe 10.

I thought this was about medicine lol!

I wouldn't but for those who want one. It don't want to splash out on an iPad currys do an advent vega for around £149. My oh has one and because it's android you can customise it. He's a gadget freak and he thinks it's great.

We have a family one that LO uses but I would never get him own one until he was a LOT older. I don't particularly like the way it can make him so quiet and I do restrict his access to it. Even DSs etc can wait until he's older. My friend got their 4yo a DS and I really didn't like his attitude and muteness - they really have to fight to get him to switch it off and he seems to have become a stroppy teenager already. Both OH & I are agreed on this and OH is quite a gadget-y person!

I think I will get them one, but not at the age now. I don't think that they would appreciate or respect it. Jacob has his own child computer (Thomas the tank engine) but I wouldn't buy anything else.

I saw a child last weekend in a cafe with his mum and her friend. The child said nothing while there and just sat and watched the screen. He went crazy when his mum took it off him to put him in the pram.

I just felt a little bit sad for him. Neither of the adults had tried to talk to him during the hour + they were there.

I don't doubt that they can be useful, educational and a 'must' in certain circumstances and when used correctly. But I just think that mine are too young yet.

Hmm..I think I'm on the fence too. They sound like they are really educational and beneficial too. Suppose its like most things - all in moderation.

no I wouldnt my son is 10 in a couple of weeks and still I wouldntt get him one. I dont have one myself or a up to date phone...I find them pretty pointless tbh. Its a rip off lol I can get better things to educate my children then having them staring at a screen. The technology of today is just pure madness. My youngest daughter had my sons old ds console to play peppa pig on it at some point and it started getting to the point where she would have a tantrum if I took it away so that is what I did. I brought her some toys instead and she was chuffed lol

If I had the money I would buy one as a family one that Tyler could use. He uses either mine or oh iPhone now,but no matter how many educational games we have on them he still prefers to play the game of sonic he decided to buy. So we are thinking of getting him a ds for either Easter or his birthday.

I'm thinking about getting DD a leap frog leap pad for her birthday.

She play's on my iPhone sometimes and she loves the puzzle type apps where you have to match the object to a shape.. (Buzzle the apps called..I'm not very good at explaining things but there is a free version..Get it.. you'll know what I mean :rofl:)

It's like everyone else say's aslong as she's not on it constantly I don't see the problem. I wouldn't go out and buy her an iPad or an actual tablet but tbh she'll get more out of that kind of thing educational wise than she will me because every time I try (puzzle games/flashcards/counting/alphabet ect) she's just not interested!

They have iPads in Tyler's school and some of the children in his class had used them today coz Tyler came home and said "mammy can I have an iPad please beautiful girl" lol tryin to convince oh to buy us one now

I would let him use dh's supervised when he's a little older but I wouldn't buy it specifically for him at this age or under 3 in general, I would rather put that money in his bank account.

Yeah I would to keep her quiet if i had more money than sense :D An iggle piggle magazine is just as good though and only costs £1.99 lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->