Would you give your child this name under these circumstances?

BrandiCanucks

Mommy of 4, WTT
Reaction score
There is a kids show here called This is Scarlett and Isaiah where two kids go on small adventures across Ontario and learn new things.

Well, Charlotte Emelia Blaire is one of the girls names I picked with a nickname of Charlie. My kids think it would be funny to name a girl Scarlett so we have our own Scarlett and Isaiah (my son's name). Scarlettt is really growing on me and I like Scarlett Emelia Blaire...but thos kids shoe is holding me back from using it because I KNOW preschool and Kindergarten parents are going to assume I did it on purpose.

Would you go for it despite the show?

This is just another reason why this baby needs to be a boy

my aunt had Adam and then really liked Eve but decide it was to cruel lol

I would avoid any obvious links

my son is Cain Jake so Abel or Elwood are automatically out

I would. The show won't be around for ever, plus if it's a kids show a lot of the population won't even be aware of the link. Scarlett is a lovely name.

I would totally go for it!!! So what if you were doing it on purpose? It's a kid's show not anything bad or offensive. The PP mentioning of Adam & Eve would be obvious to waaaay more people than just the child community.

Well....There are people named after royal family. And where I am from, people name their kids after their favorite singer (like John Lennon or band members from Metallica) no biggie

I DID name my youngest after a band, but they're not very well known, and everyone thinks I'm just calling her Amberlynn anyway instead of Anberlin.

I can't see a problem with it it would be totally different if they were silly names but there just normal names x

It wouldn't bother me. The life-span of a kids TV show is pretty short, a couple more years and everyone will have forgotten about it anyway.

Plus there's that many kids TV channels half the parents you meet probably won't have heard of that show

If I was in love with the name then I would use it.

A girl I know has two children and called them Charlie and Lola. I think of the tv show everytime I see them. However I'm sure in a few years the tv show will be long forgotten. X

curiously do yous lot not remember the cartoons from when you where little?... just because they get cancelled doesn't mean they cease to exist and nostalgia is a huge thing your child generation will remember the same way we do (in fact for Christmas I bought my son all the old books and cartoons from when I was little and they are making a come back in his school as well)

I remember shows like Care Bears, My Little Pony, Power Rangers, Strawberry Shortcake etc from when I was a kid. They all disappeared, and now they're back on...different versions, of course, but they're all making a comeback now, and I guess if I pick Scarlett, then kids are gonna be asking her if I named her and her brother after Scarlett and Isaiah (My son is the same age as the Isaiah in the show, and it only started airing in the last few months). You know?

And the show has been around for YEARS too...they just replace the kids when they get too old. The first kid is now 17, the second is now 14, and these kids are 6. I watched the original one with the first kid. Now back then, it wouldn't have been so easy to ask "Did you name your kid after Daniel/Emily from the This Is series?" Now I'd be kinda stuck too, with that question, or in the very least, the assumption, since if I chose Scarlett, I'd now have Scarlett and Isaiah.

So they air one theme song, then a 5 minute episode, followed by the next theme and that kid's 5 minute episode. If they do a longer episode, then they have the theme song together, which I can't find the dual-theme anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqxg7Nee_rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abf5RQVZhQk

So do people not use names off movies, soaps etc how far do you go? I honestly can't see the problem I've never even heard of this programme! I can see the point on names like Adam and Eve as the bible is pretty much world wide and obviously very well known. X

So do people not use names off movies, soaps etc how far do you go? I honestly can't see the problem I've never even heard of this programme! I can see the point on names like Adam and Eve as the bible is pretty much world wide and obviously very well known. X

people can use names off shows thhe point is to use 2 names of an obvious and popular show seems deliberate like my point with my son

Jake is fine
but
if I use Elwood next it would be ridiculous

would you name your kids Tom and Jerry?
that's a kids cartoon from when we where little that is so obviously forgotten about and outdated now

or

what about Daphne and Velma?
no kids could possibly know what characters from a cartoon from we where little where called (note this is my 8 year old cousins pets names, from an old 'outdated' cartoon)

it may not mean anything to you but its obviously a big show in this generation in their area

I, personally, would use it. I mean, even if people make the assumption you did it for the show... Who cares? People will make assumptions no matter what name you choose, I've found. When we named our dog Franklin, everyone thought we were naming him off of a cartoon turtle named Franklin. When we were deciding names, every name I mentioned got a "Oh, like ______?" from someone. If you love the names, use them! :flower:

I would. The show won't be around for ever, plus if it's a kids show a lot of the population won't even be aware of the link.

This. What's the betting that show is still around by the end of next year? Or even this year? :shrug:

There's a BIG difference between the shows we watched and the shows on now. The shows we watched were on for a long time, these new shows aren't. When we were children, TV was really the only interactive, everyday thing and there were things like live and kicking and SMTV live that showed all of these shows.

Now? Nah, it's not the same. At all. Can't be compared at all imo. The shows that are all being remade now are being remade because they are almost cult classic-like. None of the kids shows about today have anywhere near what it takes to be like Scooby Doo or Power Rangers or Care Bears.

Do what you want. Who cares what others think?

There's a BIG difference between the shows we watched and the shows on now. The shows we watched were on for a long time, these new shows aren't. When we were children, TV was really the only interactive, everyday thing and there were things like live and kicking and SMTV live that showed all of these shows.

Now? Nah, it's not the same. At all. Can't be compared at all imo. The shows that are all being remade now are being remade because they are almost cult classic-like. None of the kids shows about today have anywhere near what it takes to be like Scooby Doo or Power Rangers or Care Bears.

Do what you want. Who cares what others think?

thats your opinion as an adult looking at a child's show lol... they all become classics eventually due to peoples nostalgia if a kid loves a show they will remember it (frankly I though Power Rangers, Power Puff Girls and Pokemon ect... where utter tripe and would disappear into the land of the forgotten but oh no they keep making returns in popular culture because younger people reminisce)

I just think Scarlett and Isaiah are pretty normal names, I could understand if you were naming them upsy daisy and iggle piggle, in that case I would say no. Just my opinion x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->