Would you have extra scans?

SpringCrane

Reaction score
My mom is a sonographer and can do scans for me "under the table." She did several throughout my pregnancy with my son, and her colleague was the one to unfortunately discover my mmc last pregnancy. It was pretty traumatic for my mom and her coworker (and obviously me). My mom wasn't doing the scan because she was entertaining my son out of the room.

Because of them discovering the bad news last time I'm really hesitant to have her or her office do any this time... But I'm really hating this wait between my week 8 scan and my next at 11 weeks. Since I know there's nothing that can be done if a mmc is discovered (other than earlier medical management), I'm trying really hard to just stick with my scheduled midwife appointments. I have a week and a half before my next scan.

I didn't really have a huge drop in symptoms last time but just a gut feeling. Even still, any time I don't feel sick I'm worrying it's over. But even if she does a scan and it's good news, it doesn't mean the next one will be...

What would you do? Tough it out?

I had a mmc at 8 weeks and found it very hard to stay positive between scans and I have still find myself worried lately over it! When you said you just had a feeling that something was wrong I had that same thing and it's definitely a different feeling than just worrying that something could be wrong...hopefully that makes sense haha. I think you will be okay but a free scan is definitely a plus and I probably couldn't resist.

I would do it even like 1 every other week in the first tri :p

I guess it depends on your relationship with your mom. I would go for the extra scans if they were offered to me by a doctor. But having my mom or a personal friend involved would make me anxious, just because I would like some more control over when and how to tell the people in my life that kind of news (good or bad). That's just me though, YMMV!

I had three scans before 11 weeks. (WISH mine were free, LOL!) I'm a worrier and first time mom, so getting the scans really helped put my mind at ease. The first trimester is so hard, and I would imagine much harder for those who have been through what you've already experienced. I think scans can help a lot with reassurance, especially during the first trimester. :hugs:

Just keep in mind, they recommend you get an ultrasound only if medically necessary. Exposing baby to ultrasound might not be harmful, but they aren't 100% sure what effects it has long term. I know it's hard but try to relax. If your next scan is a week and a half away, that's not so far. I'd wait, personally. Even having experienced a mmc, I ultimately want baby to have the best care, and if that means less intervention, then I'm okay with that.

If I could have a scan before 12 weeks, which is when my first scan will be, I would definitely be interested in that. My sister had a mmc last summer at 9.5 weeks and I think having that extra reassurance would be really good, especially in the first tri. That being said, I wouldn't have an excessive number of scans done, maybe 1 extra one before the 12 weeks, and then another extra one between the 12 week and 20 week scans.

Definitely wait! I know that's easier said than done! But I think it's amazing to see the baby get bigger with each one! From my 10+4 to my 12+4, they were so close together because they were at different places, one at a women's resource center and one with my ob, there was so much difference! at 10+4 I could just see little nubs for the arms and legs and the 12+4 I could see fingers and toes!! I hope everything turns out okay!

Honestly I would take every scan I was offered.
I've had 9 scans so far this pregnancy due to having twins, and I never stop being excited to see the babies. My last pregnancy was a 12 week MMC and I found it reassuring to check up on them, not stressful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->