would you introduce a dummy a 4 months?

Bumpontherun

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Helen is not a good sleeper. I feed her to sleep every night and she was going 9-4:30 until the 4 month growth spurt. Now she goes 8-1:00 ish Can take 90 mins to settle and then up for the day before 6. I thought things were improving but they're really not. I could cope with the nightimes if she slept alone during the day but she will only sleep on me and stirs to suck every 1o mins or so.

I tried in vain to get her to take a dummy when she was tiny even though I hate them. I happened to stick one in today and she loved it! I would love to improve her daytime napping but is this just exchanging one problem for another?

Personally I wouldnt but its totally up to you. I only managed 6 weeks and then offered dummy but to be honest wish i hadnt as sometimes he needs it to get to sleep which is a bit annoying. LO is generally good sleeper but i know others have said it can cause problems of having to pop it back in all night which i suppose is the risk you take.

yeah I think you are going down a slippery slope with that. Dummys are best avoided if possible and if you've got to 4 months why introduce one now. I'm sure this phase will just pass.

if it helps the here and now then yes, i would

if you think its going to help her sleep better in the day then i would, maybe only do it though when shes not settling, that way it will be easier to take it off her when you need to :)

I had this debate with myself and personally didnt give Gabriella a dummy. I tried her too when she was little, and she just would NOT take one, but just like your little lady as soon as we hit the 4 month growth spurt she started waking during the night currently wakes up up to 4 times per night!!!! - from previously sleeping right through afrom 8 weeks old. (she is 1 week under 6 months)

I reasoned with myself that I can cope with the waking now whilst Im on MAT leave, and she will hopefully be sleeping right through by the time i go back to work - fingers crossed!!

The one good bit, though, is that i can put her down awake or semi awake at night and she will settle herself to sleep - therefore I do think shes waking for hunger rather than me. She wont, however settle herself to sleep during the day - she always falls asleep whilst breastfeeding - although if she is tired I can put her down and she will stay asleep :D

xx

Be careful - they can end up needing them to go to sleep - I was up 8 times one night to put it back in after it fell out. I agree with them if they are used carefully! Best Luck xx

For sleep ONLY, I really don't see the issue with it. Ruby still has hers for sleep. She's a really lively, alert baby and always has been, she just needs that extra little help to calm her down, and there's nothing wrong with that IMO.
Babies don't wake for the dummy anyway, they wake for other reasons, and their dummies are a quick way of settling back to sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->