would you wean????

baby D

Joshua and Amelia x
Reaction score
i know they say weaning shouldn't happen till at least 4 months - nearer to 6 if poss, but i think my daughter may well be ready.

Amelia is 14 1/2 weeks old and has reverted to a newborn feeding pattern at night.

She was sleeping 7-8 hrs through the night but over the past few weeks this has reduced, first to 6, then 5 and now we are back to feeding every 3 - 4 hrs round the clock - she is def hungry when she wakes as she takes 5 - 6 oz each time and is asleep again straight away!

Thing is, i am exhausted again! I have tried upping her milk from 6 to 7 oz but she just can't/won't take more then 5 - 6 oz at a go - she has silent reflux so am thinking maybe her tummy can't handle too much liquid in one go - obviously 5 oz used to be enough to satisfy her and allow her to sleep one longer stretch at night, but as she is growing, it isn't anymore!!!

So would you introduce a little solids - maybe baby porridge/rice?

Am going to try the hungry baby milk at bedtime tonight and see if that allows her to sleep a little longer before needing feeding again.....

What would you girls do/suggest?Wean or not?

Thanks - one tired mummy :cry:

I personally wouldn't there is a big growth spurt between 3-4mo old and that is probably what it is. There are many signs to watch for such as being able to sit up and hold head unassisted, loss of tongue thrust reflex, interest in your food, doubling birth weight,

As ^^^^. There is a big growth spurt around this time, which can be misaken for signs of weaning. You're best riding it out and starting a bit later though. My sympathies though - I remember that stage well!!!:hugs:

thanks girls - she has doubled birth weight and can hold her head unassisted, not sure about intrest in my food as she watches me cloely all the time anyway.....looks like it's sleepless nights again for me.....

if it a growth spurt, how long should it last?

Probably a week or so. She should be able to sit unassisted too :)

thanks girls - she has doubled birth weight and can hold her head unassisted, not sure about intrest in my food as she watches me cloely all the time anyway.....looks like it's sleepless nights again for me.....

if it a growth spurt, how long should it last?

She probably watches you closely whatever you do. She is too young to understand that what you are putting in your mouth is food that tastes good. It's just something else she wants to play with.
The sleepless nights are a bummer, but shouldn't last long. Maybe a week or 2.

see archie has always been a very hungry baby i started giving him baby cereal when he was jus over 3 months i think it was....its entirely up to you hun. and weaning age used to be 3 months years n years ago and i never did my generation any wrong....its self prefrence only u no her best...xx

see archie has always been a very hungry baby i started giving him baby cereal when he was jus over 3 months i think it was....its entirely up to you hun. and weaning age used to be 3 months years n years ago and i never did my generation any wrong....its self prefrence only u no her best...xx

Why did they change it if it didn't do any wrong? I have no idea myself but I doubt they changed it for no reason

trust your intincts, i would sit it out a couple more weeks incase its a growth spurt, and then if it continues i would consider starting something like plain baby rice for a while, nothing fussy :)

Why did they change it if it didn't do any wrong? I have no idea myself but I doubt they changed it for no reason

see this is what i worry about Toria - don't want to risk doing her digestive system any damage - or causing her discomfort on top of her reflux :dohh:

Anyone know why the recommendation was moved from 3 to 6 months?

Well look at the adults these days, obesity is a huge problem, the rates of diabetes has raised too. They don't change things like that for no reason, there are more studies showing the negative effects. Really if anything, if it was no reason, you would think they would make it lower, people make money off of things like baby cereal and foods. Here is a good site that shows why you would wait until 6mo or as close to that as possible

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

I wouldnt personally BUT I'm not in your shoes honey so I can see why you are thinking about it. I think that research shows that their digestive system isnt mature enough before 17 weeks BUT there have been plenty of babies here and in the real world :lol: who have been weaned that early successfully. In the meantime I'd try the hungry baby formula again. :hug:

Obesity has nothing to do with early weaning IMO, poor education about food and poor eating habits cause obesity.

If she has reflux i would personally discuss early weaning with your HV first :)

I agree with some of the others. I wouldn't advise weaning now. Grace was exactly the same as your LO at that age. She would wake up 6/7 times a night and have about 3 5oz bottles. But I still didn't start weaning until she was 4 months on advice from my MW. Maybe discuss it with your MW/HV? And I found that the hungrier baby milk made no difference whatsoever :)

OK weaning posts for under 6 month olds always seems to be dodgy ground. People have very strong opinions on it and you see arguments on forums all the time. From what I understand, when I was a baby (in the 1970's) weaning early was common. Now it comes to light that adults who were weaned early have more allergies. I was given solids from 2 weeks old. Seriously! My parents didn't know they were doing any harm. I'm not obese and never had any problems there but I have allergies to many things (except foods). I don't blame my parents as they didn't have all the facts.

However, I believe a mother knows her child best, and the signs for starting solids could be there and it may be the best thing for your child now. But if you're going to do it, read as much as you can on it and then make the decision. I don't think anyone here can tell you do or don't. But she will be 4 months very soon so as you asked "would you wean?"... I'd wait until she is at least 17 weeks.

And I found that the hungrier baby milk made no difference whatsoever :)

Unfortunately I have found the same thing. Hungry baby formula has not made any difference to my two's feeding habits. Doesn't make them go any longer between feeds at all.

I had to put my LO onto hungry baby milk at 11 weeks. Then at 15 weeks i had to start to wean. She had gone from sleeping through the night to waking up 4 times for bottles. She was already on 8 oz so i couldn't up her milk intake. After a long dicussion with my HV she advised me to try baby rice along with her last feed before going to bed. 2 days later she was only waking once per night. For me i was happy to give her a night feed as i didn't want to go full force with the purees etc. Then a couple of weeks later i introduced purees.
For us this worked and i truly don't think i could have held of for any longer, her behaviour had changed and she was miserable. I sometimes feel bad and guilty when i read other peoples posts but for us it was definately the right decision. Good luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->