Would you...

genkigemini

Jack-Jack's Mommy
Reaction score
Would you move to different place (either a different state or country) just to get insurance coverage for your infertility treatments?

It would depend on if that was the only option. If it was... then YES I would do/try anything to have a baby. :)

since we dont work on the same system as you my anser maybe irrevalent...

I wouldnt no, i would rather save up the money myself (knowing it would be thousands). Its taken me years to settle in where i am and get a job etc and i wouldnt want to give that up. Plus we live in a good place familywise so wouldnt want to move on that basis aswell.

Infertility treatments are different here in the UK - but I did look into travelling to Sweden for treatment. I'm not sure I would move home completely though. If I couldn't have my own children I'd probably adopt or foster.

x

personally i couldn't leave my family and friends as even with cover it's no guarentee it would work and i'd need my family and friends to help me through the ups and downs of ttc with help.
I think i'd rather save up and pay for it myself in the hope it works. As that would probably cost the same as moving anyway

Well,I posted this because if this month doesn't work out for us, we are due to move onto injectables which is something that will require a lot of saving each cycle for us and IUI and everything we need (blood work, etc.) Healthcare prices are OUTRAGEOUS here in Alaska so DH and I have talked.

If we have to go the injectables route we are more than likely moving to New Jersey in 2010 because insurance there covers infertility treatments by state law and it is not too far from my in-laws in PA.

It scares me a bit that we are one of the few willing to move for the sake of pro-creation but hey... to each there own. :D

Hi

Yes, I would def move. Right now I know we would do whatever it takes, however long it takes, whereever. Funny, in the beginning of our TTC journey, four years ago, I was very clear, what I did/didn't want to do. Now that we have had our first failed IVF attempt, my views have changed. Am I more desperate, yes!!!!!!!!!!

PS _ Well done on your weight loss, that is amazing!!!!!

Hi GG,

I would move if I would definately covered. Are you getting insurance through your employer? If so then you don't have to worry about pre existing conditions.

I think it entirely depends on the costs that it would involve .. meaning how much it is going to cost you to move as oppsed to how much it is going to cost you to pay for the treatment if you stay put.

Im kinda thinking along the same lines as AG.

But if the situation came down to it and i knew that moving would pretty much be my only option then i think yes i would. You have to be prepared to make certain sacrifices, i dont know about country but i wouldnt rule out changing state.

Did any of that make sense lol?

I have umm'd and ahhh'd about replying to this as I'm not really supposed to be in this section, but I figured I might be able to offer a useful perspective?

I think it depends on where you could move to .. if you can find somewhere you like, a place where you might be happy to settle, where you can get jobs etc then yes I would consider it (although since I'm in the UK I guess my opinion doesn't count much :rofl:)
As long as its to a place you can visualise a lovely new life (even if its short term (ish)
LTTTC is quiet stressful and emotional enough and I think sometimes the saving/scrimping etc that it can take may be the last straw .. if you know what I mean? We all fight hard to keep our spirit intact throughout this journey, and it is hard when its one blow after another seemingly without end.
I think that moving away from family etc is very stressful, but if it allows you for realise a dream (in your case a child of your own) then it is undoubtedly worth it (IMHO)

We are emigrating in the next 6 months so I know a bit about up-rooting and leaving family and the emotional strain etc. Ours is also to realise our own personal dream (kids included - hopefully) and it will be hard, very hard but in the long run, in light of the 'big picture' it will be worth it 10 fold (at least I blooming well hope it is .. if not ... we can always come home!)

:hug: PM me if you want to chat :hugs:

Ps - weight loss ... amazing!! Well done!
Pps - as PP says, also way up the cost of moving V treatment

To answer some questions...

In New Jersey, if you work for a company with more than 50 people and have pregnancy coverage, they also have to cover ALL forms of fertility treatments.

We have weighed the cost and being in Alaska, it is really hard to do treatments.

#1 - There are no IVF facilities in the state so I would have to travel out of state to have that done anyway.

#2 - The cost of medical care in this state is at least double any other state because doctors are few and far between. Also, Alaskan natives (Eskimos, etc) get free health care so most employers here do not even offer medical insurance. Mine does but it is like a $3000 deductible and doesn't cover a lick of infertility treatment.

#3 - Yes, I can save up $10,000 to move and get insurance in my new home to cover as many treatments as needed or I can save up $10,000-$20,000 (without travel costs to the lower 48 ) for one shot at IVF and pray it works.

Does it make sense why we are considering such a large life changing move?

PS - thanks for the sweet words on the weight loss! :)

Having read your last post on what treatments are available in Alaska, I can totally see why you would be prepared to move. I guess it's different for us in the UK as we have NHS treatment available. Alternatively, we can fly from one end of the country to the other in less than two hours if we want to go private.

I think what you're thinking of doing is probably the best option for you. And at least you will have family close by to help with the emotional aspects.

Good luck hun. You never know, you may not need to worry about it after your steroids and clomid combo.

:hug:

another one in the uk here... I voted no, just because I couldn't move away from my family and friends to have a baby, because I feel I would need the support... on the other hand, I could probably move away temporarily to get pregnant, then come back - assuming I could afford to. I think in the US with the healthcare system, it would be something we'd have to think very hard about.. and as others have said, your opinions change depending how far down the road you are, and if it's the only option left. xx

From your reasonings on why and the costs i would say that its definatley something i think the pair of you should consider hun

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->