Wrap for sister's wedding

solitaire89

Reaction score
My sister is getting married at the end of June, and I am one of her bridesmaids. I had posted before about how I was going to get a piece of tartan cloth and divide it in 2 to make a wrap for me for the wedding and then give the other one to sis when she has her first child. I'm still a little concerned that it's going to be too narrow - having spoken to various people, I'll be looking at about 62cm wide. So, it's now all been thrown up in the air. What do you think I should do? Should I persist with the idea of the tartan (Looks like this, but in a wrap!), or go for something else. I'm wearing navy blue (This but in navy!). The criteria are that it has to be a wrap (ring slings are a no go!), and it has to be new (OH's only stipulation when it comes to wraps, and I want to keep him happy too!). Is a tartan wrap a bad idea, even though the groom and best man are going to be in tartan and it will obviously be a perfect colour match?

So the tartan is 62 cm, and that is without dividing it in half? That is kind of narrow. The tartan would be beautiful though. I'd be tempted to just get some cheapy fabric, cut it to width and test out if you can wrap with it.

So the tartan is 62 cm, and that is without dividing it in half? That is kind of narrow. The tartan would be beautiful though. I'd be tempted to just get some cheapy fabric, cut it to width and test out if you can wrap with it.

the 2 finished wraps will be 62cm wide. The full width is 52". My didys are 64, so I figure its not that much narrower... Question is, is tartan a good idea?!

How about buying another wrap and getting it dyed in colours to match the tartan?

62cm isn't that narrow. I think I'd go for it. The tartan sounds lovely, and saving one for your sister is a great idea.

Oh I see. If the finished wrap is 62cm then I'd go ahead and use the tartan. I've worn all 3 of my babies and have only had DIY wraps. We're none the worse for it.

i know its not what you asked, but for my own wedding i made myself a mei tai to match the brides made and my dress colour wise, would that be an option?

if your set on the wrap keep us updated as i'd love to give it a go myself

I think I would give it a go... if the worst comes to the worst and you don't like wrapping with it for some reason, you will have a lovely scarf or you could get it converted to a mei tai, or use it for some clothes for the babies.

i know its not what you asked, but for my own wedding i made myself a mei tai to match the brides made and my dress colour wise, would that be an option?

if your set on the wrap keep us updated as i'd love to give it a go myself

I love the idea of making my own Mai tai. Which pattern did you use? Was it easy (considering I was kicked out of textiles as a school child by my own mother who was the teacher ;) ) in terns of the wedding, I'd rather stick to a wrap, because at the mo I dont own a Mai tai, and I don't want to mess up! :D

seeing as i'd not used a machine in errrr really ever, it wasn't hard to make, just double measure everything. I had to tweak the deisgn a touch as a larger waist. I found it pretty easy and very rewarding, the mei tia is currently in the local sling library as well.

I just googled a deisgn

all you need are waist straps, shoulder straps and a body

seeing as i'd not used a machine in errrr really ever, it wasn't hard to make, just double measure everything. I had to tweak the deisgn a touch as a larger waist. I found it pretty easy and very rewarding, the mei tia is currently in the local sling library as well.

I just googled a deisgn

all you need are waist straps, shoulder straps and a body

thanks for that - I will pluck up the courage to give it a go!!

I have to ask, it's it proper kilt material, like Harris Tweed? If it is, might is be a bit too heavy and warm? I think it would look beautiful, the dress is stunning, I'm actually slightly jealous of the thought. Good luck, I hope it works. Xxx

Nah, its a cotton weave of the same tartan, so much lighter. I did look at the wool, but wool makes my skin prickle, so I decided to stead clear!! Thanks for mentioning though.

The material has landed!!!! I'm so excited now :) I was unsure about a tartan wrap, but I had a quick play earlier (bearing in mind it was double thickness so couldn't get it tight at all) but its going to look really cool! Even my sister who wasn't 100% positive about the whole "wrap-ness" was well excited! Now I just need to get it split and hemmed :happydance:

I have a tartan wrap...
And I LOVE it!! Its thin, light and airy, but still has the support of a much thicker wrap. The knot is tiny tiny, and its lovely and warm in a nice way. I am well chuffed bunny! Pics to follow...

Have realised that I never did post pics... Oops. So in a bid to put it right, here's a pic of the wrap and my now 2.75 year old daughter :flower: (oh yes, and me too!)

IMG_20140419_085411.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->