WTT after c section - vbac or elective section?

M

MummytoSummer

Hiya,

I know there's another thread about trying after a c section but I just wondered for those that had a c section whether it was elective or unplanned, what do you plan on doing next time?

I had a really traumatic labour which went on for 72 hours. Waters broke right at the start of it, contractions right away so we thought great, it's all happening like it should, but days later still no sign so I was induced with a drip and from there had the most awful experience of a failed epidural and eventual emergency c section and my baby being taken to scbu for her first 48 hours due to risk of infection because my waters had gone for so long.

For the first couple of months I was adamant I wanted an elective c section next time as I just couldn't face the possibility of going through that again. On my notes the reason given for needing the section was 'failure to progress' so I worry that if I go into natural labour again will my body ever do everything it's meant to? If I'm going to end up with a section then I'd rather it was a more relaxed experience than a frightening one like last time.
Everyone I know seems to have had amazing birth experiences, my brother in laws wife gave birth on Tuesday after a 45 minute labour! Now I'm not expecting I'd be anything like as lucky to have that but I would have loved to have a natural birth. I know that tons of women go on to have successful vbacs but I really worry that my body will never fo what it's meant to!

I know its a long way off yet and I can talk to my midwife when the time comes but I just wondered what others plan on doing?

Also if there's anyone who has experiences of either elective sections second time around or vbacs would be great to hear your stories too!

Many thanks x

I didn't have a C-section the first time but I'll be having one the next time. For me, I had to weigh the pros & cons to the baby. My baby was injured in the vaginal labour due to my pelvis size (and other factors) so for me, elective C-section is less risky to the baby.

Were you GBS+? Sounds like your labour's problem was due to be induced when your body wasn't ready and it forced all sorts of stress. I wouldn't do a vaginal labour again if I had to be induced due to infection risk (I was too), it seems likely the same thing could happen. If you were to go into labour naturally, do you think the same thing would happen?

I had an emergency section after AJ because i was induced and after 3 days nothing happened..at this point i was 41+6..i asked with my next what should i do and my consultant said more then likely my body won't progress again with my 2nd so best option was to have a section..i guess it's really up to you and how you feel at the time x

Aliss - Sorry to hear your lo had a tough time during labour, it sounds like a c section is the safest option for you then. At least you'll know next time your baby won't go through any distress.

Sorry what's GBS+? I'm rubbish with abbreviations! Lol! They kind of had no choice but to induce me, my waters went on the Monday night and contractions started right away and by Tuesday I was 3cm dilated but although my contractions carried on I didn't dilate anymore. by Thursday the hospital were really concerned that my waters had been gone for so long and Summer was at risk so they said they had no option but to induce me. It was immediate agony and after a couple of hours I needed an epidural. I managed to get to 7cm but then my epidural tube came out and after 4 more hours of agony I hadn't got any further and when the registrar came to see me she couldn't believe I'd been left so long and insisted on the c section so finally I was taken down to theatre at 10.30pm and Summer was born at 11.21pm.

I do think if I'm honest the same thing would just happen again. My mum had to have both my brother and I by c section and somehow I just think that's what's meant for me too. I guess it just makes me sad to think I'll probably never get to experience full labour.

Mumto2boys - I think to be honest my midwife will recommend an elective section next time for me too. I remember her saying to me afterwards 'at least you know you'll never have to go through that again'.

With an elective c section do they book you in for you due date or before that? I'd be scared of going into labour before the c section! Especially as theres a greater chance of being early with your second.

X

I was also in the 'failure to progress' bracket. I was in slow labour for three days and after they broke my waters for me on the 3rd day i was in full blow labour but only progressed to 5cm in 8 hours, i was on G&A for 5 of those hours :wacko: with my contraction's really close together. So they either gave me the option to wait it out till the morning or go in for a C-section so i opted for the section because i was exhausted and being sick from not eating since 9am till 11pm, i eventually had an epi so they wouldnt let me have any food and before that i was in 'the zone' with the G&A so didnt think to eat anything :laugh2:

I was told that there was no reason why i couldn't have a VBACS next time round if i wanted to. So i think i will go for one but im not fixing myself on the idea just in case it doesn't go to plan

I was induced at 8.30am on Wednesday morning, and at 7pm on Thursday night I too had only made it 7cms. Problem was I had been at 7cms since 12 noon on Thursday! They asked me if I wanted a c-section and I said yes! It was Xmas Eve & I desperately didn't want d to have a Xmas Day birthday! so at 10.39pm my baby was born!

Next time? I change my mind almost on a daily basis. That girl on One Born Every Minute kept pooing, and I really don't want to do that! Lol! They can't induce after a section as their is an increase uterine rupture, and they would c-section at 39 weeks. I think becuase I have a little one already I would opt for the section so I could organise childcare etc. With dd1 I was back driving in 3 weeks, so I wouldn't be housebound for long. Hubby would be off work so he could take my elder child/ren to soft play to allow me a chance to rest in those 1st couple of weeks. Probably a section I think! I didn't find the recovery time too bad - but I think that;s because I wanted to get on and do things!

Aliss - Sorry to hear your lo had a tough time during labour, it sounds like a c section is the safest option for you then. At least you'll know next time your baby won't go through any distress.

Sorry what's GBS+?

I do think if I'm honest the same thing would just happen again. My mum had to have both my brother and I by c section and somehow I just think that's what's meant for me too. I guess it just makes me sad to think I'll probably never get to experience full labour.

With an elective c section do they book you in for you due date or before that? I'd be scared of going into labour before the c section! Especially as theres a greater chance of being early with your second.

X

GBS+ is group b strep positive, which is why I was induced for leaking waters (puts baby at quite an infection risk), was just curious if that's what happened to you too :)

I'm sorry you are sad you won't experience 'full' labour but in the end a healthy baby is what is most important, unfortunately a perfect labour is not in the cards for some of us :(

Booking for a C-section really depends on the circumstances I think. I know some girls go in quite early 35-37 weeks (usually because of some severe complications in the current or previous labour), some at 39.

Ah ok, no I wasn't group b strep positive. They were just concerned as she'd had no waters around her for over 3 days.

The more I think about it I think that a planned secion would be best for me next time around. At least I'd know exactly what to expect and I can plan for it. Plus on the upside I'll never have to know what it feels like to be sore 'down there'! Lol! I found the recovery after my c section really easy and I was up and about straight away, as soon as the spinal wore off the following day I was walking around and getting on with things. In fact I was up and about doing more than a lotof my friends that had vaginal births.

I know that the only thing that matters is that baby is healthy so what will be will be! And at least I'll know his/her birth date in advance!

Thank you ladies for all your help and advice and for sharing your stories. It helps sometimes to know that I'm not the only one that had tough labour - sometimes it feels that way with all my friends just popping them out!

X

Oh and I want it all - I must admit that girl that kept pooing on one born every minute did really make me think twice about wanting a natural birth too! Lol! My oh would never let me live it down!

When are you thinking TTC? Maybe I'll have a bump buddy hehe

Aliss - we plan on ttc come May 1st! I can't wait. My brother in laws wife has just had her second baby on Tuesday and it's got me so so broody. Originally I'd wanted to wait til Summer was 1 but oh desperately wanted to try sooner (in December!) so we came to May as a compromise!

How about you? Is that about right for us to be bump buddies?

X

Hi ladies

I too had a c section after being in " early labour" with agonising contractions at 5/10 mins apart for four days, was then induced after I was finally admited to hospital and then on the 2nd day in hosp due to the shape of my pelvis & lo being back to back was told I had to have a section..... just wish that had happened a few days earlier!

I recovered well and would only want a secion again next time as I couldnt cope with being at home for 4 days, litterlly couldnt eat and had about 3 hours sleep, so by the time i was in hospital it was easy in comparison!

My question is, can we ask for a section next time in the uk? I thought you had to trial a natural labour....

I guess its different depending why you had a section, anyone have any experince of it 2nd time?

My midwife said you are allowed a "trial" labour for 6 hours, but problem with me was they dont class you as being in labour until you are 5cm, and it took my body 5 days to get to that and then didnt change until I was induced.... cant face going through that again and I really want to start planning number 2!!!

Hiya Claire85, sounds like you had a pretty rough time too. I was the same in that the 3 days I was at home having agonising contractions I didn't get a wink of sleep or eat anything. But by the time they got me into hospital I was in too much pain to think of eating then once I had my epidural and my drip I wasn't allowed anything to eat, only water!

I remember I kept begging for a c section and they kept saying no. I even asked on the Wednesday, I just had a feeling, somehow I knew I wasn't going to progress anymore. I was quite smug in away once they said I needed a c section, I was all like 'see, told you I'd need one'!

I'm not sure about automatically being allowed a c section second time around. I know they 'like' you to try for a vbac but from what I remember my midwife saying they won't make me go for a natural birth. I'm really not sure though. I'd be gutted if they try to force me to go through all that again. I really can't see my body doing it right next time. It's the first question I'll be asking when I fall pregnant again.

When do you plan on ttc your second and how old is your lo?

X

Sounds like our labour was pretty similar :) Im going to beg for a section, or just go to hosp on day 1 and not phone every day and be talked out of going in - even on day 4 it was only because i couldnt feel baby move they told me to go in!

lo is 10 weeks old, and we have agreed to start ttc number 2 from Dec this year so a bit early for me to worry, but its hard not to! what about you?

May/June might be around right for me, we've got our condo for sale and TTC when it sells, although I haven't been taking my pill lol...

I think I'd do the same thing. If I'm not automatically allowed a c section again then I'll just turn up at hospital with my bags as soon as I feel any twinges and I'll refuse to go home! We were up and down to the hospital like yoyos during the days before they finally decided I needed to be induced.

Well my lo is 7 months old and we'll start ttc when she's 10 months so that will be May 1st! I can't wait. I fell pregnant first try with Summer so if it happens again then there would be 19/20 months between them.

Roll on May!

X

Aliss, I'll look out for you in ttc around May or June then. Hopefully we'llget to be bump buddies!

Good luck with selling your condo!

X

I had a C-Section due to LO being breech. I'm hoping for a VBAC next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->