• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

x

I had no idea they were linked! I think it's fine to name him Sascha I wouldn't have thought that was a nickname. I hate it when puerile call their kid Dave, Andy Alex etc rather then give then the full name and the choice but I would have thought of sascha as a "full" name

I wasn't aware they were connected either?
I know boys named Alexander and I know of a guy named Sasha (full name) also. I personally don't care for Sasha in itself, but see nothing wrong with it as a full name.

I was sure that Sascha was a totally separate name to Alexander. I still think it is. Are you sure they've got anything to do with eachother?

I've never heard of them being linked.

I have only heard of Sacha as a girl's name though

I was sure that Sascha was a totally separate name to Alexander. I still think it is. Are you sure they've got anything to do with eachother?

"Sasha \s(a)-sha\ as a boy's name (also used as girl's name Sasha), has the meaning "man's defender, warrior" and is a variant of Alexander (Greek): from the Latin form of the Greek name Alexandros. Also a variant of Sacha (Russian, Greek): diminutive of Alexander."

"Sasha \s(a)-sha\ as a boy's name (also used as girl's name Sasha), has the meaning "man's defender, warrior" and is a variant of Alexander (Greek): from the Latin form of the Greek name Alexandros. Also a variant of Sacha (Russian, Greek): diminutive of Alexander."

I don't think MOST people know this... I didn't... and it seems none of the other posters did either. :shrug:

Personally, I would never use Sasha as a nickname for Alexander - the two names sound nothing alike. I love Alexander, and love the nicknames Alex & Xander. I'm not too keen on Sasha, bc it seems like a girl's name to me.

I do think Sasha works fine as a "full name" though and can be used all on it's own.

I didn't know either, but now it makes sense why Alexander's mummy in my daughter's gymboree class keeps calling him Sasha! I thought maybe it was a Russian pet name as she is Russian haha! Thanks for the enlightenment!

That said, I am not keen on Sascha as a boy's name. It sounds too girly. But judging by everyone's response I dont think it will be a problem naming him just Sascha.

I like Sascha and think it can just be Sascha without Alexander. Sacha Baron Cohen at least makes it more normal in the general public as well.

I'd say it's like Sandy which is well known as a boy's nickname for Alexander in Scotland, bit in other places people might see it as a girls' name.

PS- I did know the names are connected, and completely agree with you for not being keen on 'Xander'!

Definitely not a girl's name! I'd find a girl called Sascha very odd indeed, like she was called Luca or Jeremiah or something. Just because it ends in the "a" sound, doesn't make it feminine.

I like Sacha a lot. Traditional Jewish names are often lovely and seem to be getting popular.

I knew they were linked but think you could get away with Sascha on its own. However it's too 'girly' for me. I had two friends called Sasha at school. Agree with PP this might just be an area thing x

We considered the name Sacha for Alex (full name Alexander), but then thought of Alexander and we much preferred it. We both thought loads of people would assume he was a girl too, as it seems to be such a female dominated name. Would never think to link the two names together.

I had no idea the two names were linked. I honestly love Sascha and I don't think the majority of the population will think of Alexander when they hear his name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->