XJessicaX speedy birth story (induction)

XJessicaX

mum to two girls!
Reaction score
For those who haven't the patience to read vast essay- short story was waters broken at 20:45, TENS and G&A used, baby out in 2 minutes at 23:30, haemorrhaged but all in all fab labour!

Over my pregnancy I had been dreading labour. I tried desperately not to think about it as it would cause a fluttery panic to set in but the closer I moved to my due date it became harder.

My first pregnancy was blissfully easy and I presumed labour would be as well. I went into labour a week early. It was 22 hours of pain and fear and disappointment. I didn't dilate as baby was back to back and also her head was sideways in my pelvis causing her to become stuck. I was refused entry to hospital twice and turned away in agony with patronising words. My epidural failed and I was forced to stay in bed catheterised and writhing in pain with yet more eye rolls and being told that the epidural was working. My daughter went into distress and I was rushed to theatre with my sobbing husband not being told what was happening. I was given a spinal block, cut right down to my anus and my daughter was pulled out via suction cup. She was 6lb11 and tiny as a doll. Only narrowly missed a section and was told if she had been any bigger I would have needed one. I was numb for hours so BF was difficult and I felt harrowed by my experience. Took me 14 weeks to heal physically. A lot longer mentally. Weeks to bond with my daughter.

2nd labour...a WHOLE different experience!! Pregnancy this time round was just as easy. I expected an earlier baby and as I was measuring weeks behind (2 weeks behind at 36 weeks increasing to 5 weeks behind at 41) I just expected a teenie doll like her sister. From 37 weeks I was ready to go, looking out for signs and wow I was given signs! Plug came away in chunks, had bloody show, massively increased BH's, clear outs etc...but she stayed inside! My due date came and went and I had a sweep at 40+5 which I dont think did much. 40+6 (Xmas day) I realised I hadnt felt her in a while. Sat down for an hour and still no movement to went to hospital to be checked. Hooked up to a trace and of course she started doing star jumps!!
Doctor came to see me and said he would rather induce me the following day! eeek!
10am Boxing day my husband and I arrived at hospital. Completely empty! Had a whole ward to ourselves! Lovely midwife went through the induction and suggested we start with the 6 hour prostaglandin gel which she said could start off a natural labour. It was inserted at Midday and I lay on the bed for an hour hooked up to a monitor which showed 3-5 minutely braxton hicks (I had thousands of them anyway so nothing new) and then were told to have a good stomp around the hospital for 2-3 hours. My braxton hicks were regular but still painless so I presumed nothing was really happening. At 6pm I was checked for cervical dilation and told I was 2cm (I knew that anyway as had been at my 40 week midwife appointment) but that I had effaced even more. My BH's now took on the tiniest bit of cramp, wasn't even noticeable and I mostly thought it was wishful thinking! LOADS of pressure downwards though!
8pm I was transferred up to the delivery unit. I met my new midwife who would take me overnight. As the delivery unit only had 2-3 patients on I was given a massive room at the other end from the other ladies which was spacious and had its own en-suite toilet and shower room. My midwife was great also, I explained I was desperate for a natural ish birth and so I didnt want to be offered any drugs except G&A. She brought in a birthing ball and a birthing stool and I was hooked up to a monitor again just to check LO's heart rate. My BH's were SO frequent I was told I couldn't have Pitocin (which I was SOOOOO relieved at!) and I was told I was in labour! I still had no pain though at this point, just pressure. 20:45 my waters were broken. I didn't have to accept this but I was bored (lol) and wanted to at least feel like I was in labour! Baby's head was so low that not much water came out. Was a weird sensation though! 30 minutes I remained in bed attached to the monitor and then the midwife removed all the leads from me, said baby was absolutely fine and that I didnt need 1 on 1 monitoring until I was 4cm! So she said she would pop in and out of the room and check me in 4 hours to see if I had reached active labour. This was great! Just myself and my husband in a rather nice completely silent room with my husband breathing the G&A and us laughing at his very deep voice.
We put the radio on, ate crisps and I bounced on the ball. My BH's started taking on an edge, just an uncomfortable twinge so I strapped on the TENS machine (got the midwife to help) and this was BRILLIANT! I was a sceptic if I am honest and thought it was just a load of hippy crap, but wow it worked! 10pm rolled round and I knew I was in labour. Was quite uncomfortable but completely bearable!
I broke out the G&A at 10:30pm which helped and then 11pm hit. My contractions went from bearable "ouchy!" to "OMG..Im not coping OWWW" was so sudden I wasnt prepared! Each one made me jump up and groan, G&A did nothing at this point and then the fear kicked in. I knew I just wouldnt be able to do 1 more contraction without pain relief let alone HOURS of these. The contractions started overlapping. I would have 10 seconds of complete relief before another 1.5-2 minute contraction kicked in. I started to panic and got the midwife in. I kept apologising and saying how pathetic I was for giving in so early (I thought I was about 4cm) and I asked for an epidural. The midwife tried to get me to use the G&A properly but its remarkably difficult to breathe in when everything in your body wants to exhale out! The midwife left to phone the doctor and to get the epi administered. My husband was amazing the whole time saying he was sure I only had another hour left and how proud he was of me. I didn't believe him, I felt like I was being operated on without anesthetic.
5 minutes after the midwife left the room I had the hugest contraction which forced me to fling myself onto the bed. Stinging (rather like the worst cystitis ever!) started up and I realised I was pushing! Husband ran out the room yelling "SHES PUSHING!", midwife ambled back in taking her time, took one look at me and grabbed some gloves, pressed the call bell to get another member of staff in, checked me and said "oh, just a small lip left, try not to push" and I couldnt believe it. I just stared at her not being able to take in that I had fiully dilated so quickly! Not pushing was the hardest thing ever and actually I didnt do a good job of controlling that! My body just took over, I didnt actually have to do much in the way of pushing. Back arched and every muscle in my body working together to force the baby out. Was such a weird feeling. Husband was STILL using MY G&A as he was panicking LOL!
2 minute 2nd stage apparently! She FLEW out. I didn't feel much in the way of the burning crowning feeling, I just remember saying "don't let me tear, please don't let me tear" and then had that weird slithering sensation where she plopped out. Plonked on my chest and her eyes binged open. APGAR scores of 9 at 1 min, 10 at 5mins. 8lb9!! so much for measuring behind!! Ottilie Florence Roe :)
Placenta came out 6 minutes later followed by a HUGE gush of blood. Emergency buzzer called, lots of people staring at my vagina lol. Hooked up to an IV which would contract my uterus back quickly. Was dealt with quickly. Doctor came in and said I had a very small labial tear that would need a few stitches.

Recovery has been insanely fast this time. Feel completely normal again! Stopped bleeding already, uterus back to pre-preg size, fanny feels fine! The bond with DD2 came much much quicker too. Love her so much already!:cloud9:
1st breast feed 15 mins after birth (still wearing husbands fleece as birth too quick to take off!)
https://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/Jessicaroe1/bf_zpsd431cd13.jpg
2 days old
https://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/Jessicaroe1/64911_10151418952709923_1657322801_n_zps08b9c87b.jpg

week old
https://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac126/Jessicaroe1/16681_10151429977544923_1662389891_n_zpsb8d70a00.jpg

So funny your hubby is hogging the G&A cos HE'S panicking!! Lovely to read, enjoy being a cosy wee family at home :hugs:

congrats again hun, glad to hear it went alot better for you!

yay!! Hopefully you are being slowly dilated so when you do go into labour its a nice fast one!! Cant wait to read birth story!! Good luck!! x x

congrats! She's beautiful! Thank you for sharing your story, it gives me hope :hugs:

Her eyes look intense deep, dark blue on that photo. Gorgeous child!

Oh Jess you have a way with words!

So glad it was much better this time around, Ottie is beautiful and I can't wait for a cuddle!

Congratulations on the birth of your baby! :)

Glad this labor went so much better for you. I remember reading your last one as you updated and being terrified for labor!

Glad this labor went so much better for you. I remember reading your last one as you updated and being terrified for labor!

Sorry!! Glad you had a better time 2nd time round too! x x

Sorry!! Glad you had a better time 2nd time round too! x x

I guess 1st labors are supposed to be worse to make us appreciate it more the second time around? And to not wish it on ourselves too early!

I was in a hallway contracting and in pain and my husband was trying to comfort me, and I looked at him and I said, I wished this pain on myself! He was like what? I wanted labor to start! And it had! So I figured I got what I wanted!

haha, yes! Very true! I do remember about 1.5 hours into proper labour I looked at Rupert and said "cant believe I asked for my waters to be broken!" but glad I did, not sure how long labour would have been without my waters going and I didnt want LO to be born on her daddy's birthday! (27th!)
Going to be a busy year with Xmas, Otties birthday followed by Ruperts birthday!

She's absolutely gorgeous Hun, congratulations, makesme so darn broody!!

Love her name, it's so unusual and I've never heard it before. Do you pronounce it ott e lie?? Xx

She's absolutely gorgeous Hun, congratulations, makesme so darn broody!!

Love her name, it's so unusual and I've never heard it before. Do you pronounce it ott e lie?? Xx

It's a very old name out of the 1880's! It's the female version of the German name 'Otto'. So it's pronunced 'Ot-til-ee'. Also I had a cat when I was young called 'Ottie' (she looked like an otter when born) and i loved that name! So she's Ottie for short!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->