Yellow bump turned pink on 30th October!!

cookie25

Reaction score
Hi all,

Really enjoyed reading people's birth stories so thought I'd post mine. Not sure if it would be considered a positive or negative story but I would class it as positive - I would do it all over again in an instant and I got the most amazing blessing at the end of it!

I started getting pains late on Monday 29th (had no signs of labour/braxton hicks or anything), I went to bed and got a couple of hours sleep but at 1 I couldn't sleep through them any more. I got in the bath which I found really helpful for a couple of hours. When the contractions got a bit worse I got out and put my tens machine on and leant over my birth ball. When my contractions got to every 3-4 mins (around 6.30) we called the hospital and went in.

I was examined and found to be 5cm with bulging waters. I was amazed as was convinced they'd say I was 1-2cm and send me home. I had real confidence issues with labour - I was convinced I couldn't handle the pain so I felt really proud of myself. The only problem at this point was that I was sick every 30 mins or so. My tummy is v sensitive so it didnt surprise me and I felt much better afterwards but I didnt realise the problems this would cause later on in labour.

Anyway I was admitted and continued to labour in the birthing pool with gas and air (which was brilliant). At around 11 they examined me and I was 7cm. Around 2.30 they gave me an anti-sickness injection which really helped (just wish I couldve had it sooner!) and examined as I was starting to ask for stronger pain relief. I was 9cm with just a lip of cervix remaining so I pulled myself together and got back in the birth pool. It was at this point they realised that LO's back was along my side rather than to my front. My waters still hadnt broken and they said as soon as they did the baby was likely to be born.

Fast forward to 5ish when they broke my waters, however my contractions had slowed down (due to me being dehydrated from being sick). They were just as intense but not very frequent. At 6.30 I was still 9cm so they decided I had to go on the syntocin drip to increase my contractions. I got an epidural too as I was so tired and apparently the drip makes contractions worse. Well the epi didn't work and they kept having to top it up. Only started working when it was time to push (around 9.30ish after a scan to make sure baby was now right way round!). They gave me an hour to push LO out unaided but wouldn't go any longer as I had been labouring a long time now and they were worried about blood loss. Well I couldn't manage it by myself so Olivia was born with an episiotomy and ventouse at 22.53 weighing 8lbs 10. An amazing experience and I'd do it all over again like a shot.

Just a reminder to ladies to keep fluids up through labour and eat if you feel at all like you can. I don't know if I would have had a different birth if I hadn't been so dehydrated. However, I'd still say labour wasnt half as bad as I imagined and I am over the moon to be a mummy :)

Congratulations on the birth of your baby! :D

Congratulations hun! Enjoy your cuddles with your girlie :) x

Congratulations!!

A similar thing happened to my contractions during labour. I was vomiting perhaps every hour/couple of hours but it was sudden and quite a lot when I did vomit (I somehow managed to vomit over myself 3 times - not my proudest moment). My midwife on labour ward actually told me to drink a cup of water an hour to keep my contractions regular but despite this my contractions spaced right out once I had diamorphine (they tried to catheterise me a couple of times too but weren't able to get anything the first 2 attempts). Unfortunately due to this and my baby acting up a little I had to have a quick episiotomy and ventouse.

So I definitely second the whole trying to keep hydrated!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->