your opinions on the new weaning advice?

D

Dollfacee

i really dont have a clue what i personally think about it tbh, it could be rubbish.

Mehh I'm still gunna stick to weaning at 6 months :)

My MIL flippin loved it :roll: she's been pestering me to start for a while grrr x

The people who have made the statement have links with a formula company, BUT I think mummies and daddies know their LO best. If a LO is happier and healthier weaned, then, with guidance, so be it
xx

i think the 4 month thing would be good for some babies, my baby is a hungry baby and he drinks way too much milk, but id personally wean alfie at 6 months, unless i have warning about health.

back when I had my older kids, weaning was at 4 months anyway - tho al mine were weaning a month earlier than that on GP an HV advice, I've not looked into it all yet as LO is only a few weeks, but when I got pregnant again an realised that babies magically dont need food til 2 months later these days, I did wonder how long it would take to change it back!

Personally I dont care what government guidlines are - I know my baby, the government doesn't! lol Imogen will start weaning when SHE is ready, whether it be at 2, 4, 6 or 8 months old!

My opinion is...they, whoever they are, just need to make their minds up and stick with it. I think the focus should be on teaching parents how to decifer when their own child is ready for solids, not when "they" think a child is ready for solids.

Do you mean baby-led as opposed to traditional or 4/6 months?
I'll answer both anyway! I think each baby is different and will be ready for solids when they are - mummy knows best (as long as mummy isnt bullied by parents and parents in law!). I am doing a mix of baby-led and traditional, but mashing rather than purreeing. I like the theory behind baby-led and try to stick to it but enjoy giving Thomas abit of mashed veg/fruit after he has had his play with his own veg/fruit sticks!
My mum was horrified when I first gave Thomas a whole stick of pear! She thought I was crazy!
xxx

I saw on breakfast that BF soley until 6 months is app now bad for baby, i just laughed, its a good job we can all make our own minds up these changing regs could be quite upsetting for people who are nervous 1st timers, we'd never know what to do!!! xx

Guidelines are just that guidelines!! Baby and mummy know best!
If you do what's right by your baby you can't go wrong.

I think mums n dads know best my first 2 were weaned early my 2nd too were 6.5months and 7.5 months..

theyreall ealthy, love veggies, eat well, have no allergies we've found yet.. and we eat awide range of foods.

I just went with what i thought.. But everyone has their own opinion x

Who knows. I think we might try him on a little baby porridge in a couple of weeks, and I'm sure he will tell us if he is ready or not. I read the guidelines, yes, but they are not law and each baby is different. It's like saying all children should be a certain level in maths and literacy at age 11. Never going to happen as they are all individuals.

the new thing is complete rubbish and has no scientific backup. that being said, I am a strong supporter or baby led, but starting too early can be VERY bad for babies. It is believed to attribute to allergies later in life if baby's are given things that their bodies cannot properly break down....but it really is baby to baby. guidelines don't make much sense when all babies are different. I think it's important for parents to just know their own baby and ignore the rubbish that changes every bloody year.

shock the formula companies and baby food funded the research and decided to stamp on breastfeeding at the same time saying its not enough. So they make yet again more money from early weaning thats not needed. Last time I started at 6 months and I plan to wait till Alex wants food, I felt like Wlilliam wasnt ready I just thought he was as thats whats every one say you where meant to do. I go with baby led this time. I know my breastmilk has enough in it if it didnt before formula and all this babies wouldnt have lasted to long and my children dont look starved either from breastfeeding.

Ugh, drives me mental when people say 'I'm not weaning until my baby is x months old' beacause guidelines state you should wait until then. They are there as a GUIDE, not written in stone, that's why they chop and change because low and behold they don't actually have much of a clue either. Cannot understand why people don't trust their own judgement and wean when baby is ready whether it be 4, 6 or 8 months :shrug: A bit of common sense I think!

Ugh, drives me mental when people say 'I'm not weaning until my baby is x months old' beacause guidelines state you should wait until then. They are there as a GUIDE, not written in stone, that's why they chop and change because low and behold they don't actually have much of a clue either. Cannot understand why people don't trust their own judgement and wean when baby is ready whether it be 4, 6 or 8 months :shrug: A bit of common sense I think!

I really had no clue everyone was saying the same thing to and I thought he was hungry and didnt know what growth spurts where. I do agree people need to follow their instincts here i know that how and do do that, but sometimes when you want the best you listen to health professionals and friends being a new mum. you live and learn by this. I wait till I know my son is ready and not by what this guideline says even when its been changed. I hope others will do the same but someone will believe this guideline and more early weaning will happen. More excuses for companies to set the dates on jars back.

My mum bought a chocolate desert for my son because it said from 3 months on the jar! it was loaded with sugar and chocolate! :wacko: I was horrified . she said it was fine it says so on my jar, the amount that think its ok because it says on the jar is unbelievable! i dumped it in bin.ps he was 3 months old. 12 weeks and she wanted him on chocolate deserts.

https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/509832-those-worried-breastfeeding-6-months-news.html

The guidelines are not changing, the Department of Health and the WHO still recommend not starting weaning till around 6 months.

I really had no clue everyone was saying the same thing to and I thought he was hungry and didnt know what growth spurts where. I do agree people need to follow their instincts here i know that how and do do that, but sometimes when you want the best you listen to health professionals and friends being a new mum. you live and learn by this. I wait till I know my son is ready and not by what this guideline says even when its been changed. I hope others will do the same but someone will believe this guideline and more early weaning will happen. More excuses for companies to set the dates on jars back.

My mum bought a chocolate desert for my son because it said from 3 months on the jar! it was loaded with sugar and chocolate! :wacko: I was horrified . she said it was fine it says so on my jar, the amount that think its ok because it says on the jar is unbelievable! i dumped it in bin.ps he was 3 months old. 12 weeks and she wanted him on chocolate deserts.

Believe me, I have more faith in my own ability as a mum than I do with some 'health professionals'. It took me 3 months for them to listen to me about him being lactose intolerant. They kept telling me babies are sick, it's totally normal, not in our case it wasn't.

Chocolate desert @ 3 months?? Like I say, common sense :flow:

I think 4-6 months is actually good advice but I don't think it should a case of that's it my babies 4 months old its weaning time. Yes some babies are ready but a lot arnt so people should look at their baby individually rather then just think of 4 months the time to start

Believe me, I have more faith in my own ability as a mum than I do with some 'health professionals'. It took me 3 months for them to listen to me about him being lactose intolerant. They kept telling me babies are sick, it's totally normal, not in our case it wasn't.

Chocolate desert @ 3 months?? Like I say, common sense :flow:

I do to, took years of mess ups with my own health never mind trusting them with my children. My son has only met my doctor once and thats because she wanted to meet him, he has never needed to go there and same with Alex he met her once just to get his heart done few days after birth. My hv is fond of saying my bresstmilk is crap after 6 months and keeps telling me my breast milk has made my sons front teeth go but he has grinds them down teething as the rest are fine. She blames breast milk on most things and has no clue. So I never listen to her since I was bleeding from nipples for months and all she could say was formula .They know I dont listen to them anyway. I dont even ask them anything any more if I need advice I come here. (not on illnesses etc always go to doc but as I said I have been lucky not to need one).

ps my mum has no common sence she says them deserts do no harm just brush their teeth after yet she weighs 30 stone. hummm. And apparently all that crap done her no harm to. hummm again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->