Your Thoughts On Reassurance Scans

Dimbo

Wishing on a star
Reaction score
Ok, I know I am jumping ahead on this one, but just wanted to see what people's thoughts are.

After we found out I had miscarried I said that I want a scan at about 8 weeks next time. Part of me thinks it's a good idea for several reasons:

To be able to make sure everything is progressing nicely, and not having to wait until 12 weeks. To know earlier if things aren't going right. I think to see the hb feels like it will keep me going.

But then I know that there is always the possibility that things can go wrong after that scan before the next... but then I think that it'd be nice to see a heartbeat at least once... but then I think maybe it'd be better to not see it if things were to go wrong... and then I realise I have talked myself round in a circle.

Thankfully I don't have to make this decision just yet :dohh:

What are your thoughts ladies?

for me the early scan's have been such a help on my mental state! to see the hb was amazing and to see it twice was a blessing. yes things can still go wrong after 8 weeks but wether u see ur little bean on that screen or not nothing will take away the pain of loosing another child
lot's of pma thats my moto, nothing i do will change the outcome of this pregnancy so i have to go with the flow and try to enjoy it
good luck on getting ur sticky bean xxxx

Hi Dimbo,

I have already made the decision that I will try and get an early scan next time between 7-8 weeks.

When my MMC was diagnosed all I could think was "so i've been rubbing my belly and talkin to my bump, and doing this and that and why?? because bubs had already gone to heaven"

Its a stupid thing really but I feel like I need to have a scan at 7-8 weeks so that I know that I'm past the stage when bubs died last time (6+4) and I need to see a heartbeat. I suppose then there is not that much time to wait for the 12 weeks scan.

I know a reassurance scan does not change the outcome but for my sanity I think I will need one x x x

When my MMC was diagnosed all I could think was "so i've been rubbing my belly and talkin to my bump, and doing this and that and why??

That was the same as me. For weeks I had been doing excatly the same only to find out for most of the time between getting my bfp and then finding out at the scan that I'd been rubbing something that wasn't even growing inside me :cry:

The EPAU dept told me and OH that we can ask for an early scan next time and we both agreed that we would like to do that. I think we both felt robbed of the time we'd spent thinking about and planning for our baby. If we had've had an early scan we would've found out a lot sooner which would've meant we could've been at the point we are now a lot sooner. At my age time is of the essence and any time spent not being able to ttc feels like waste.

I understand that even after an early scan things can go wrong but it just breaks up the waiting a bit. Without an early scan you have 12 weeks of waiting and worrying about what could be going on in there and if we could break that down into sections that might ease the worry a bit.

You are all so right ladies :kiss:

I think it's the time issue that persuades me it's the best idea. Time spent waiting is horrible, so anything to break that time up is surely good. I am 'lucky' that mine was bleeding starting at 6+1 and by the scan at 6+5 it was over with. I would have hated having to wait for rescans etc, or if i hadn't bled and waited until a month or so down the line for a scan to show a mmc would have been way harder.

And yes, I do fully intend on making the most of every day we have with bean, whether it is sticky or not (although fx it is super sticky!) So being able to get an early glimpse would be great.

I really do love this forum. It's be great to be able to get my thoughts in order and get opinions without having to scare any first timers because I don't feel that it is fair to put our worries in a forum which is generally full of hope and innocence.

Sorry, I digress....

:hugs:

I had a loss and wasnt able to get an early scan for reassurance purposes when i fall pregnant again. I even worked in the scan department at hospital that do these scans. I was told that reasurrance was not a medical reason to be scanned. I did however end up with 3 in the 1st tirmester as i bled heaverly. You maybe luckier where you, but just dont get your hopes up. Its probab lt different if you have had multiple losses but for you one that is what i was told. Good luck x

Some EPU's will and some wont. There's no harm in asking though! But there is always the option on paying for a private reassurance scan. They vary from about £40-80!

Sorry, should have made myself clearer, it'd be a private scan. I don't have a problem with using NHS resources if I need to, but as it'd just be for my peace of mind, and there is somewhere I can get it done privately, then I'd be willing to pay.

I know it was agonising waiting 5 days for my emergency scan when I was bleeding heavily and wouldn't want anyone in that situation to have to wait just because I thought I wanted to be reassured :hugs:

I'm with you Shazza and Beadette - anything to avoid finding out that the baby you already loved and were making plans for had gone weeks before. Our EPU won't offer reassurance scans so it'll have to be private for us unless anything goes wrong. Here's hoping that we'll all be in a position to be booking early scans very soon! X

The consultants have already said I'll be scanned at 7 weeks (in part from the m/cs, plus being on fertility drugs), will be paying for a private scan at about 9 weeks, standard scan around 12, Nuchal Translucency (not done as standard here, bu it _might_ get done on NHs because I'm at high risk due to epilepsy meds, if not, private) at 11-13 weeks, anomaly at 18-20wks, 4d scan at around 30wks then probably additional ones due to thyroid/epilepsy issues until the end.

Sorry, should have made myself clearer, it'd be a private scan. I don't have a problem with using NHS resources if I need to, but as it'd just be for my peace of mind, and there is somewhere I can get it done privately, then I'd be willing to pay.

I know it was agonising waiting 5 days for my emergency scan when I was bleeding heavily and wouldn't want anyone in that situation to have to wait just because I thought I wanted to be reassured :hugs:

In that case then go for it. Not only will you get to see your LO and no all is ok but it will release some of the stress and panic from you which is great for both you and baby. Of course the day after you will go back to panicing i expect just as i did.

well due to my multiple mc (3rd was just this month) i found out today whilst having a scan that when i get preg again i need not pay money for early reassurance scans as i'm now entitled to them from 6 weeks onwards so i will be having them without choice, got to say though them scans will not be much fun they will always be OMG is everything ok scans :rofl: well i still cant wait PMA PMA PMA xxxxx

i had a mmc evn after having 3 scans in that pregnacey and being told by the midwife id have no more problems!

this time we didnt go to epu and we was never offered a early scan we payed for to it made me feel so much better the atmosphere was nicer to as it wasnt full of upset woman it was more personal just me and my oh! xx

Dimbo, when I was in first tri, there was a thread called "the declining risk of miscarriage". Essentially, if you see a hb at 8 weeks, your risk of mc is down to 3%. Reduces again to 1% at 12 weeks.

We had a private scan at 8 weeks and it was a sanity-saver. Though we still lost Ruby, it wasn't an mc. We'll deffo have an 8 weeker again next time, it's magical xx

I was all booked in for a scan at 6 weeks, mced before that. My docs do them as a rule, not sure if its the same in all parts of Australia, they label them as viablility of pregnancy and I was told they do them at that early stage to check its all where its suppose to be, guess ruling out ectopics too. I will be so happy to see a heart beat! Now all I need is another bfp!:haha:

I had an early scan after a bleed at 7+3. All was fine. But then at my 12 week scan, Charlie's problems were identified and it all went wrong.

I've been told i'll get a slightly earlier than 12 week scan this time so i can have CVS asap if any problems are identified.

I don't think you can put a price on peace of mind so i'll definitely consider paying to go private around 7-8 weeks aswell.

At my hospital the EPU offer a 8 week scan if you've had a loss previously.

Certainly helped me knowing I didnt have to wait til 12 weeks, but, loads of weird things go on in very early pregnancy than can cause unnesserry worry, and if we waited til 12 weeks i wouldnt have spent two whole weeks crying because i thought i was losing another bean.

I would really have a good think next time, about taking up a reassurance scan

I had a lot of scans through my pregnancy because I was paranoid something would happen, it was completely worth the money. The most demoralising thing was sitting in th NHS clinic for hours on end to only be scanned for less than 5 minutes by a techician who wont or cant answer questions so I went to the Spire Alexandra Hospital and saw Mr Penman. He was fantastic, very professional, does a medical scan and explains everything, he does 4D scanning as an extra and doesnt charge! We got a dvd and cd which was excellent, brilliant piccies! Mr Penman was so reassuring and even the little things were obviously no problem, the scan gel was warm!

Do you know I hadn't even considered seeing if they did viability scans at the Alexandra... definitely next time - thanks for the headsup!

Hi hun when I next fall pg I will be scanned every fortnight til 14 weeks and although I am scared one of the scans will deliver me bad news again my consultant said I am more likely to go on to have a successful pregnancy if I have the support and reassurance of having these scan and her around if I need to see her. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->