Your twin routines

Nut_Shake

Reaction score
Ok, so in the day i breastfeed on demand and the babies rest (whether sleeping or just looking around) for between 2-4 hrs before wanting feeding again.
I express for the night feeds so my mum and hubby can help me with that, they sleep for about 2 hours at night between feeds and won't sleep for long spurts at all (night times are killing me at the moment even with the help!)

Does anyone have a routine thats worked for them or tips to help them start to sleep through longer periods at night?

And what do people think of leaving them to cry it out abit when you know there is nothing they need? I did this for about 10 mins last night and couldnt handle it. I dont want to spoil them but they are only 3 weeks old. My mum said they are going to get used to it, but i dont think i agree as they are still so young. But sometimes at night you are falling asleep and are just desperate to lie down as you physically struggle to keep your eyes open and dont want to risk holding them and nodding off.

They dont cry a huge amount at all, but i think the past few days they have been going through a growth spurt so have been especially crying and feeding a lot!

Anyway, just wanted to know what has worked for others xxxx

Oh hun I feel your pain and am so glad we are out of that phase.

I would wake mine through out the day to feed. They need to learn the difference between night and day and I think yours are doing things the other way around.

try to establish more of a routine, so feed every 3hrs through out the day and interact with them more so they are awake more. Do demand feeding through out the night. As for the crying I believe in controlled crying and I do agree with your mother, they will get used to you running in and picking them up. Controlled crying is very different then hysterical crying but they do need to self soothe, start off letting em cry for a very short time and then extend it out.

Lizzie is much better at working stuff so I will leave it up to her to reply to you.

I will say it gets easier. We are now 5mths corrected age and they are so much better, still can't wait till they are 2yrs though :rofl: :rofl:

I think they are a bit young to be left to cry it out at only 3 weeks they are still settling and I wouldnt recommened that. I would however maybe try giving them formula of a night because its thicker and it might mean they start going to sleep for longer.

They are still really small and young so I would give them time. I didnt get my first full nights sleep until the girls were just under 4 months! I still get sleepless nights now and they will be 2 in 4 weeks! lol

Read the book babywise! It has saved my sanity and helped me get the girls on a routine. It's like the instuction manual for babies. lol.

Oh nutshake, I remember those few weeks being hell! And I'm not breast-feeding so it must be 10 times worse for you!

To be honest, I fed every 3 hours religiously, and at about 5/6 weeks they started to fall into their own routine of 4 hourly feeds. We always feed them together, even if it means waking one.

They woke every 4 hours until about 9 or 10 weeks, when they starting sleeping for 6 hours at night without waking. We thought this was amazing, and then 2 days ago they started sleeping for 9 hours straight without waking at night!! They are 13 weeks old today.

I know it's tough at the minute, but a few weeks will make all the difference. (I know this doesn't help you now but there is light at the end of the tunnel!!)

Oh wow. 3 weeks :dance:
I've got a tonne of books but they all seem to say that there's not much you can do in the first month. Can you keep us updated with how you're getting on with this?
I'm keen to breastfeed mine & really don't want to supplement.

Good luck with it - it sounds really tough :hugs:

hi

my twins were feeding every 3-4 hrs and the nights were very tough to be honest as for some reason they would start to stir after 2.5 hrs..we always woke the other up so that the feeds were done at roughly same time so we got a good few hrs sleep/rest inbetween feeds. they went straight into seperate cots by the way. by 8 weeks they were having last feed at 11pm and sleeping through til 5.30am...now at 11 weeks they have last feed at 8pm and sleep through til about 7am....always put them in cots and let them settle their selves bk to sleep so they get used to doing this....my friend rocked her baby to sleep from birth and is still doing this 2 years later!!!

i never run to them when one crys...i think they have to get used to each other crying....a week ago my twin boy had a high temp and was sick in his cot...we turned light on, changed sheets and his pj's and his twin sister was still fast asleep in her cot as i have tried to get them used to being together and not being in silence.

i know it seems hard at the mo...it does def get easier at night....xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->