Your unnecessary & essential baby purchases

GOOD:

LOTS of vests to go under sleepsuits again they just go under anything are handy and baby makes so much mess they are great. People get so caught up on buying cute outfits for you no one thinks to buy the essentials like body suits and vests

SLEEPING BAGS - think i would of had a nervous break down without one, the boy is such a kicker i was worrying all the time ifhe had blankets so he cant kick these over his head! Woohoo! :happydance:

BAD

Shoes got loads of cute baby shoes but he kicks them off so he ends up going out in just thick socks lol

What exactly are baby vests? I know about the body suits.

Awww man, those shoes are so cute though! Haven't got any though. I'll let Grandmas knit little booties or something. Here in Finland it's super cold though so...

Booties are fab as the little ties mean they do not fall off easily unlilke socks and shoes. All my daughters bottees and mittens are knitted & have ties as scratch mitts and socks just get wriggled off!

I'm not sure I ever wrote in here. But here are my essentials so far:

- diapers and wipes (obviously)
- car seat (again obviously)
- Woombie (the only swaddling way for us)
- tonesa bibs
- A big breastfeeding cover. Mine is from Bebe au Lait. I get that you could just use a blanket but this works much better for me as it's big (covers everything) and has a structured front so I can still see the baby.
- My Anais and Adan blankets, I use them everyday. They's large and soft and great quality
- a baby carrier - we use the Ergo and love it.
- Co-sleeper - this was great for us in the first 6 weeks as we installed on the bed and she slept with us. We moved her to her crib at 6 weeks with no issues.
- I love our change table. It's got drawers under it and we use it many times a day.
- I also love our diaper genie. It's not smelly and only needs to be taken out once a week
- My Babyjogger City Mini GT stroller. I do a lot of walking with Sofia in the stroller and this one has great wheels for malls and our rough Canadian winters
- soothers - my baby only takes the Wubbanub and I don't know what I'd do w/o them
- Baby swing - ours is the Fisher Price lamb one and she takes her naps in it
- Pack n Play - essential for grandma's place and traveling

None essentials for us:
- wipe warmers have not used it once
- millions of bottles (they were all gifts though). she's bf'd and takes one bottle of ebm per day from a gumdrop bottle
- too many outfits in newborn and size 0-3. She barely wore any of it and she's already in size 3-6
- rash cream, she never has had a diaper rash. Same with nipple creams for me...never had sore nipples.
- baby shoes, yaaa she's not walking so she won't wear them
- mittens, we never used them

None essentials for us:
- rash cream, she never has had a diaper rash.

Do hold onto it for at least a few months of introducing solids. The poo changes and different food affect the skin differently. You might end up needing it occasionally. We rarely use it either because we have cloth diapers and give a lot of airing moments but it's good to have it if something just refuses to get better. :flower:

bump to early to write things down, but this is brilliant!

NECESSARY FOR US!!!!!

-Ring Sling (love these things!)
-Nursing Cover
-Moses Basket
-Moses Basket Rocker Base
-Crib
-Mattress
-Pack and Play
-A Good Camera (seriously, there are so many moments you don't want to forget!)
-Burp Clothes
-Infant Tub
-Books!!!!
-Nipple Cream
-Swaddle Me (These are fantastic and make swaddling a breeze)
-Stool Softener (For after the birth)
-Lots of Maxi Pads (also for after the birth)
-Baby Swing (this saved me in the early days)
-Diapers and Wipes, but that's a given
-Diaper Pail (reduces smell in all rooms and is just great!)
-Nursing Pillow or Boppy
-Gripe Water (great for gassy babies)

UNNECESSARY!!!

-Bath Temp Thermometer (my hand can already do that!)
-Bath Faucet Cover (just no...)
-Mobile (never needed it)
-Newborn Onesies, they outgrow them terribly fast. I was given some that were marked 5-7 lbs, my DD was born at 8lbs 6oz, never used them once
-Nursing Timer, (I really don't like to be told by a device when I should feed my baby or for how long, my baby will let me know when to feed my baby and for how long)
-Nursing Stool (Ok if you need added support to your feet, but I have always sat crossed legged on the couch while nursing)

Things I have not used (So far, LO is 4 weeks old)

*Boppy (might be good as a baby recliner seat when she is older)
*Velcro Swaddles (She is too small for them, but loves a blanket swaddle. We will try them when she is bigger)
*Rash Cream (Has not happened yet)
* Nipple Cream (No issues yet)
*Sz One Diapers (She needed NB and we only had one small bag of NB, we have like 800 sz 1's. Haha. We will use them soon)
*Her crib and dresser/changer/whole room (we have no heat upstairs so she sleeps in the living room with me)
* Millions of footless outfits that were gifts...I seriously wish I had left the tags on most things to return them.

OUR ESSENTIALS~

*Sleep and Plays with FEET built in. (Lily is too small for socks, they fall off)
*Onesies, short sleeve (Long sleeve are hard to pull through the sleep and play arms....but it is do-able)
* Flannel Swaddles, and LOTS of them. (We use two a day. One to wear, one to burp/nurse. the one she wears becomes the burp one the next day and so forth)
*Hats, tiny T shirt material and knitted hats (she is little and most hats were too big....preemie hats work for us)
* Wipes, LOTS.
*Travel Lite folding crib (Like a bassinet)
*Mei Tai carrier...I like having my arms back. Haha.
*2 Good fitting Bras (I never found a nursing bra that fit, I am large chested, but I got two soft well fitting bras and it is heaven. My old ones were torture)
*Giant Granny Panties for after delivery, and I am still (PROUDLY) wearing them now...haha. Ya gotta be comfy ;)
*TONS of "super" winged maxi pads, and a moderate amount of huge overnight maxis.
*Easy to cook food options...I was not feeling too gourmet for a few weeks after I got home...and I LOVE to cook.

I loved this thread when I was pregnant, now I can contribute :)

ESSENTIALS: steriliser, dummies (never thought I'd say that!), mobile over cot (was the first thing he smiled at), changing mat, AngelCare monitor and sensor pad, Moses basket, Moses basket sheets to swaddle as they let him keep his hands out, baby gros with feet, lots of bibs and muslins.

NEVER USED: sling thing for the baby bath, all the lotions and potions you think you need, bottle warmer (could be useful when out and about but it's so heavy that it just adds to the stress of having to lug everything around!), thermometer dummy thing, cute newborn outfits (by the time they have been washed and dried once they no longer fit, sometimes he'd only worn them for ten mins then thrown up!), any outfit without feet if you have a winter baby, cosy toes for the car seat (made him sweat!), fleece blankets (made him sweat!), snowsuit.

Hope that helps :)

Essentials:
Swinging cradle for when baby slept in our room (will do you at least 5 months)
Poppered vests and babygrows - fancy outfits are a faff on a newborn
Lansinoh nipple balm
a couple of bottles and a manual breast pump
A sports bottle so you can drink and feed at the same time
A comfy chair for doing the above
Muslin cloths
swaddling blankets - we swaddled for the first 3 months and then moved onto sleeping bags
Pram
Car seat
bath support (very cheap, only cost a fiver, means we just bathe him in the big bath)
Sling

Something for baby to sit in - a basic wire frame bouncer will do but the vibrating types are good too.
A baby play mat with the toys dangling from the arches.

Useless stuff:
Baby bath
Top and tail bowl. seriously, just use any old bowl and do face first arse last. Not tricky!
Stockpile of breast pads. I ended up with loads and I stopped leaking very quickly and still have boxes of them left over
Stockpile of sudocrem. I am still on the first pot ten months later.
Fancy baby towels - ok they are nice but you could just use a regular towel.
Stockpile of blankets. How many did i think I would need!?
Moses basket - he slept in the swinging cradle at night and in the pram in the day (or in the sling if he wouldn't settle to sleep during his walk in the pram). Moses basket was useless and he hated it.
Travel cot - you will need this eventually but during the first six months you can just use the carrycot of your pram (if you go for a travel system type) for overnight visits.

2nd time mom here. Aaron will be 6 next month, and Eli has just turned 4 months.

**The boppy pillow will eventually come in handy. Helps with sitting up and you can lay the baby on his/her stomach over the middle part of the boppy... allowing the baby to play with toys in front of them. Helps with grabbing and motor skills.**

Now this is one thing for powder formula feeding mothers that will ABSOLUTELY be a great thing to have!! I didn't have one for my oldest, but my friend told me about this item! Formula carrier/dispenser... different ones all over the place, but posting a picture below. You put the right amount of scoops in each compartment. Allowing you to easily fill the bottle with water, and dump one feeding of formula powder in!

Attachments

• baby formula dispenser.jpg
    baby formula dispenser.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 0
I already wrote in here but those were essentials when baby was younger. Now that she's nearly 6 months i have new essentials. I added the new ones in bold.

- diapers and wipes (obviously)
- car seat (again obviously)
- A thick sleepsuite she sleeps in from Baby Merlin. Eliminates the use of blankets and she likes it better than sleepsack
- plastic bibs with pockets since she's on solids now
- A big breastfeeding cover.
- My Anais and Adan blankets, I still use them everyday.
- a baby carrier - we use the Ergo and love it.
- I love our change table.
- I also love our diaper genie.
- My Babyjogger City Mini GT stroller.
- Baby Einstein activity centre - OMG she's been loving this since 5 months

- Her high chair and sticky place mats

- Her Lamaze toys especially the knot...boy she loves that thing!!

- Humidifier, winters here are sooo dry

None essentials for us:
- wipe warmers have not used it once still
- rash cream, still have not used eventhough her poop is different lol!
- she's been off her soothers partially since 3 months and fully for the past month.

We are very simple on our home. This is babe #4 in less than 6 1/2 yrs, so I have done this a few times, LOL.

Things I need:

Babe
Boobs
Cloth Diapers
Cloth Wipes
Sling
Soft Wrap
Kimono style wrap shirts
Bassinet for living area for day time naps

Never used:

Crib (never owned one, we co-sleep)
Soothers (never owned one)
Bottles (never owned any)
Swaddles (never owned one, too many stories about breaking the use of them)
Nursing cover (my kiddos HATE being covered up, and I am not modest)

My DH calls me a Primal Mother, LOL.

Now I've actually had LO, this is what we've bought/used:
  • Pram - LO settles in this better at night for some reason
  • Car seat
  • Crib - stays in the living room now for daytime naps
  • Bouncy chair - only sits in it for about 30 mins max and only since 3 weeks old
  • 4 blankets - 3 cellular, 1 fleece (bought from Asda for a total of about £12)
  • Breast pump and breast milk storage bags - but only because I'm building a stash of milk in the freezer for when he's bigger.
  • Baby bath and change mat
  • Nappies and cotton wool
  • Muslin cloths

Seeing as I'm only (almost!) 14 weeks with my first, I don't have anything to contribute just yet. But I'll be stalking this thread for all my baby purchases. Thank you everyone!

Things I found to be a waste of money:

- Changing unit.. SUCH a waste of money, you only use it for a few months anyway, once they start rolling and crawling etc. it's difficult and just easier to do with a change mat on the floor.

- Nursery furniture.. well we didn't buy any as we still have Oliver in our bedroom at 14 months but we're in the process of doing his bedroom now and I'm just using normal size furniture because he can use it for years to come. If you are tight for money it's not essential to have a fancy nursery set up all painted and decorated with baby stuff they're going to grow out of within a year.

- Cuddle robes.. they're cute but expensive, normal towels are just as good.

- Expensive baby baths.. those plain white plastic ones are just as good as the pretty decorated ones, and you'll only use it for a few months anyway. Of course it's not even an essential because for easier bathing you need a bath support as well, but I put the support in the baby bath for the first few months purely to save water.

- Baby monitor.. never used it once. I am always with Oliver or he is always well within my hearing range.

- New clothes... such a waste of money! For small baby sizes like 0-3 months there is so much stuff on Ebay in big bundles that works out a fraction of the price

Things that I found surprisingly useful:

- breastfeeding pillow.. I found this such a help, it really made things easier for me when feeding and meant I could support Oliver much easier and read a book at the same time!

- rocking musical bouncy chair.. this was SUCH a help, Oliver was really soothed in the first few months by the rocking and would be happy to just chill in there so I could get on with other stuff. Expensive but it definitely made life easier.

That's all I can think of for now! But note to first-time mums is to ignore the 'essentials list' in the beginning of the Mothercare catolouges etc. you don't need half the things they tell you you need.

Adding one thing to my list....Swing. We got a simple no frills model, and some nights (not always though) it really helps when lily just will not settle in the evening. I wasn't into all the big seemingly unnecessary things like swings and whatnot, but oh man, it really does help when my arms and boobs are about to FALL OFF. Haha.

I think everyone's needs are so different as are all babies!

We couldn't have done without the following
A sling, S would not go in her pram for 6 weeks and would not be put down!
Extra large Muslins, great for swaddling, cover over buggy to help sleep and sun shade as well as normal cloth and a cover if you want while breast feeding.
My baby was average weight, bang on the 50 percentile so she did fit newborn and 0-3 month clothes until she was about 8-10 weeks, so don't get many but some.
A white noise app and now CD, amazing to help them settle.
Play gym and play mat, loved it from about 6 weeks old.
Mobiles, great above changing mat, makes changing a joy as she loves her mobile.
Be really sensible about your choice of buggy/pram. Be honest and get the one the suits your lifestyle the best and doesn't way a tonne! Don't go for the trendy, flash names as lovely as some are they are are not right for everyone and once baby is here, whatever is easiest will be what you want!
Cardigans I have found really useful, layering in winter and good with UK summer weather
Baby nail clippers, a lot of people say they bite their finger nails, but my LO is a wriggle bum, so clippers are much easier for me.

Things we never used!
Her bouncy chair, she hates it! Not all babies like them so you never know until you try with yours.
No fancy outfits, baby needs to be comfy and too much of a hassle to out on, waste of money as won't last. Wait until they're older.
Breast feeding pillow, found it too awkward!
Mittens, don't like them as babies need their hands to explore and discover so just keep nails short.

Charlie15 makes a great point about how everyone's needs or unnecessaries will likely be a bit different. You may never use your bouncer because your kid hates it. I think it's important to consider buying used for most things you use in the first year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->