Your unnecessary & essential baby purchases

vespersonicca

2 gorgeous boys!
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm only in the beginning of my first pregnancy but I thought I'd ask some advice from those of you who have gone through it before. :winkwink:

My husband is currently out of work so it makes our need to slowly buy things over the next few months absolutely necessary if we hope to be ready when the time comes. I'm also the type that will get through the waiting time better that way! :flower: The thing is, I don't want to end up investing in things that aren't really necessary in the end (like 20 bodys for a newborn when they will only grow out of them in like a week or 2!)

Sooo, I'd love to hear about any purchases you made that ended up being unnecessary or anything you might have gotten that ended up being so essential! What should definitely be on my list and what should I steer clear of? Any miracle products or absolute let-downs? Items for baby and mom...

bottle warmers! if you have a crock pot (slow cooker) you can put water in it on low or warm and use that if you are going to bottle feed.

GOOD:

MUSLIN cloths cant get enough of them get as many as you can cause half of mine are in the wash at one time :haha:

LOTS of vests to go under sleepsuits again they just go under anything are handy and baby makes so much mess they are great. People get so caught up on buying cute outfits for you no one thinks to buy the essentials like body suits and vests

SLEEPING BAGS - think i would of had a nervous break down without one, the boy is such a kicker i was worrying all the time ifhe had blankets so he cant kick these over his head! Woohoo! :happydance:

BAD

Bottle warmers never used my one just boil some water stick it in a pan to warm up feeds or vice versa if you need to cool down a feed

Shoes got loads of cute baby shoes but he kicks them off so he ends up going out in just thick socks lol

Good - Vests, baby grows, socks, muslins, sleeping bags, bum cream, Breastfeed if you can because its FREE

Bad - lots of outfits (not necessary with a newborn imo), millions of blankets.

Great thread :) I was convinced getting a bottle warmer was a yes yes but now not so much

Good
my angel care monitor i cant sleep without turning it on

muslin wraps

vests they are way better than singlets singlets ride up

a wrap arround slingg they are great way comfyever than the ones with staps and u can breast feed ect in them as well i like the moby sling

BAD

my fisherprice swing dangerous wen they start atempting to sit up or aven move it seems

bassinet just go with the cot gabrielle was out of her bassinette by 3 weeks cause she rolled and turned sidways and got stuck

and dont get to many newbourn clothes and get a range of sizes of 00000 0000 and 000 is good gabrielle was to small for 0000 000 but get minimal amount of 00000 0000 bc they last 2 weeks lol

GOOD:

LOTS of vests to go under sleepsuits again they just go under anything are handy and baby makes so much mess they are great. People get so caught up on buying cute outfits for you no one thinks to buy the essentials like body suits and vests

SLEEPING BAGS - think i would of had a nervous break down without one, the boy is such a kicker i was worrying all the time ifhe had blankets so he cant kick these over his head! Woohoo! :happydance:

BAD

Shoes got loads of cute baby shoes but he kicks them off so he ends up going out in just thick socks lol

What exactly are baby vests? I know about the body suits.

Awww man, those shoes are so cute though! Haven't got any though. I'll let Grandmas knit little booties or something. Here in Finland it's super cold though so...

Good
my angel care monitor i cant sleep without turning it on

a wrap arround slingg they are great way comfyever than the ones with staps and u can breast feed ect in them as well i like the moby sling

I am really glad to hear praise about the moby wrap. I've wanted one since I first saw someone using it. So versatile and more natural.

I would never dream of not having some kind of baby monitor. Here in Finland it's very common that the babies will sleep in the stroller outside on the porch or in the back yard with a monitor. Something about the cold air helps them sleep better. I'm from California though but I'll give it a try... :flower:

What exactly are baby vests? I know about the body suits.

Since you're American, I'll translate! haha What those in the UK call a vest is what Americans call a Onesie (long or short armed bodysuit, no legs).
https://www.style-biz.co.uk/prodimages/c4cvest_lg.jpg

What they call a Babygro is the all-in-one body suit (long arms, long legs).
https://www.boopydoodle.com/Images/originals/Powder%20Plum/PP_Babygro.png

But people get the two mixed up all the time.

Hahaha! Thanks! Keep the good tips coming! Remember, this is also your chance to complain about all the crap you got ripped off on or didn't need! I want to hear you!

You don't need any toys or anything they aren't interested. My boy isnt now still he grabs for things and stares at lights and laughs at the telly but he hasn't quite got the knack of gripping on to things. The only thing he liked in the first 2 - 3 motnhs was the telly lol. Plus everyone buys you toys anyway!

also it might vary but room temp monitors never come in handy for me you just use your instinct whether its hot/cold and baby lets you know anyway well mien does his reall grizzly if his too hot/cold... monitors are not needed if you're in a flat x

great thread - as a first time mum this is very useful information x

also it might vary but room temp monitors never come in handy for me you just use your instinct whether its hot/cold and baby lets you know anyway well mien does his reall grizzly if his too hot/cold... monitors are not needed if you're in a flat x

Wow! Never even knew people monitored the room temp so closely! I figure my instincts would tell me well enough! Thanks for the info! Keep it coming :)

i think one of the worst things we brought was a silly nappy wrapper :dohh: the thing never worked and nappy sacks works soooo much better imo!!

i found lot's of vest's and sleepsuits great, in newborn, 0-3months and 3-6 - buy a small selection and add to babies clothes when they are born, maddi was a very long baby, something we never knew till she was here :)

bottle warmer a jug n hot water works just as well
nappy wrapper cheap nappy sacks are just as good

also i wouldnt go n buy a whole set of bottles i did that with one of mine n she wouldnt drink out them :(

just think basics and work from there

eat
sleep
travel
clothes

well if you are not breastfeeding then you can pick up bottles cheaply from the supermarkets, also sterliser is a must but they are not expensive either - bottle warmer is a definate waste of money, you could warm a bottle by sitting on it quicker than these things lol

sleep on a budget would highly recommend going straight to cot and just using the pram/baby bouncer fro daytime naps until a routing is established where lo is going up to nap as well - if you are able to sew you could fashion some cot sheets out of normal single size sheets i have a friend who made all of hers, but you can buy them quite cheaply anyhow

for traveling you just need to pick up a cheap travel system (pushchair&carseat in the package) start at about 100, so not a lot at all

and clothes, in the early days i would just go for vests and sleepsuits as you will get given clothes in first sizes etc when the lo arrives so not much poing wasting cash on lots of outfits - some people dont even dress babies in clothes until they are a couple of months

you can do without a baby bath for sure, and i never used muslin clothes, but some people swear by them so i guess it just depends x

These are a few things I learned that I wished someone had told me to save me money!!

Unnecessary:

Cute little baby outfits for the first 3 months! They are just not worth the expense imo. They grow out of them SO fast. It's a mission to get those floppy little arms and legs in and take a month of Sundays to take off and put back on when changing those nappies. Just get lots of cute sleep suits, it's basically what Autumn has been in for the last 2 months. Of course I dress her up if we're going out somewhere or to someones houses, but for every day around the house and going out, a sleep suit is ace.

If you're bottle feeding: Bottle warmers. Waste of space, you can feed formula at room temp. It actually helps them digest it better. I don't boil water and let it cool, I just get gallon bottles of distilled water and make it up with that when ever she needs a feed. She uses around a gallon a week now and its 80cents a gallon.

Baby Socks: Total waste of time, they don't stay on EVER.

Toys for the first 3 months are pointless. Autumn only just started getting interested in things to grab and put in her mouth in the last few weeks.

Nappy/Diaper Genie ~ Total crap!! Just stick them in the bin!!

Anything brand name that is 60% priced up than the generic. I use Target own brand for all things. Bubble bath / lotion / nappies / formula. (I asked the pediatrician about the own brand formula vs name brand. She said it was like coke vs pepsi. Basically the same, just which one you prefer the taste of)

Butt cream/Talc etc. Just buy it when you need it. I have a stack of butt cream for Autumn but have never used it as she aint suffered from nappy rash once!

Massive nappy bag! Mine has been made redundant after 3 months cause it was just too much lol. I just shove a couple of nappies, wipes and a change of clothes and a bottle in my handbag and away I go.

"Special" baby towels. Bunch of crap! I used it once and it didn't dry her at all, just stuck to her, I just use our towels now.

"Special" baby clothe washing detergent. Over expensive waste. I just use our normal washing detergent, I just use a lot less of it on her clothes. (we use sensitive unscented brand)

Those cute baby hats! They will swallow the LOs head for the first 2 months lol. I put one on Autumn and it came to her chin!! She wore the ones the hospital gave us for the first couple months.

Necessary:

Swaddle clothes. Those little arms and hands would wake Autumn up 74432 times a night if she wasn't swaddled. It also helped her recognize her bed time routine as I only swaddled her at night. (she now sleeps 12 hours a night)

A couple of nice warm blankets. Those snow suits/coats won't fit for a while and are really hard to get on sometimes, so a good warm blanket to put over the LO when you go out is a must.

Night light. If you want to get a bedtime routine down, its a good idea so you don't turn on the bright lights to feed/change in the middle of the night and wake them up totally. Just enough light to see what you're doing.

Re sleeping arrangements. Autumns nursery is all ready for her and has been since I was 8 months pregnant lol. However she aint slept in it once. I have a little bassinet next to my bed which she sleeps in at the moment and a pack and play down stairs which she sleeps in during the day, this later turns in to a playpen.

Regarding buying all new stuff in regards to pack and plays, bassinets, I just got mine 2nd hand from consignment sales. You can get things for 3rd the price and as bassinets ect are out grown so quickly, it seemed pointless paying 90 bucks for a brand new bassinet when I got it for 18 bucks 2nd hand.

If you're going to use a dummy, don't get any until you've tried the ones the hospital supplies. I brought some cute little pooh bear ones for Lil Miss. Do you think she wants them? Does she heck!! She prefers the ugly green hospital supplied ones!! :dohh:

Baby mirror for the car. Its one of the best buys I've done. It straps on the back seat so it's facing the rear facing car seat and then you look in your rear view mirror and can see baby. My one plays music and if Autumn starts crying, I can switch that on and it soothes her to sleep.

I hope this helps!!!

Just regarding hospital bag ... You won't need half the things you pack! lol. I took a small carry on suitcase. The only thing I used out of it was my shower gel, toothbrush/paste, towels, pillow and hairbrushes! Oh and my clothes I wore home.

I wore the hospital gowns while I was there as you'll be quite mess 'down there' for a couple days, They supply you with plenty of food while you're there. I was too exhausted to read magazines etc.

Re packing for the baby, I didn't use ANYTHING I took for her as the hospital supplied it all. The only thing I used was an outfit to take her home in. They supplied nappies, wipes etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->