Your unnecessary & essential baby purchases

Thankfully didn't have many unnecessary things bought with our daughter, thanks in part to reading threads like this while pregnant! :haha:

Things I've made sure to have this time around are:
- a sling or baby carrier that can be used from birth. Babywearing was fantastic with my daughter and I know it will be a wonderful thing as I care for two kiddos!
- lightweight blankets!
- baby legwarmers, I thought they were hokey until I used them and then my daughter LIVED in them. So easy for diaper changing, cute and comfy! I've stocked up :haha:

Its interesting to see what some people think is useless others used a lot. For example, my son is 2 and we still use his bottle warmer. We used his bumbo (with tray) right up until he was 1. He has skinny legs so it made a great travel high chair for him and we took it camping, to family parties, etc.

Things I got that never used:
burp cloths
peepee teepees
breast pads (I never leaked besides the odd drip after pumping)
doorway jolly jumper (my son never liked it, he still doesn't know how to jump!)
sophie the giraffe (he didn't care for it)

Oh gosh phantom! you are so right! I forgot all about peepee tepees- the most ridiculously unnecessary thing ever!! There is NO NEED!! They did make me laugh as a concept though but utterly useless!!

Clothes
I would say 12 of each is the minimum for vests (onsies) and sleepsuits in the first sizes which are newborn and 0-3 in UK. Newborn only lasts a couple of weeks, maybe a month but even bigger newborns are often too small to go straight into 0-3. Long sleeve vests for winter babies, short sleeve for summer babies.

Don't bother with fancy designs, get the cheap plain white ones from tesco. They'll be sicked on plenty and cheap supermarket ones are as good as expensive ones for how long you use them, durability is not a concern. People will buy you pretty coloured cute ones anyway as presents.

Don't buy outfits - you won't use them in the first couple of months. Sleepsuits are more comfortable and easier for changes. Outfits involve wrestling things over baby's head etc. Chances are you'll get bought a heap of cute outfits that never even get worn.

Good buys
Lots of people knock nappy bins but I love ours, it's easy to use and keeps smells locked in better than nappy sacks. If we've been visiting there have been nappies that have to go straight to outside bin despite using nappy sacks. I can't imagine those ones at 3am in winter. It possibly also depends on the model, we've got a tommee tippee sangenic which is easy, drop in the nappy and turn the handle to seal it. My sil and mil have angelcare ones with a spring that feel like it's going to snap your hand off.

Muslins - lots and lots and lots. We bought 20 before the birth, then another 20 after when our reflux baby arrived (reflux is very common). Brilliant for wiping up sick, protecting your clothes, draping over you when breastfeeding in public, hanging over pram when baby sleeping etc. Don't waste money on pretty patterned ones, just get plain white.

Bouncer chair - give your arms a break and invaluable for babies with reflux as they're happier a bit upright

Breast pump - if you plan to express get a decent electric pump, manual ones are too hard and time consuming especially as you're probably expressing after baby gone to sleep when you've got chance and really you want to get it done and sleep yourself

Grobags - love love love them. Babies usually fall asleep after night feeds and transferring sleeping baby back into sheets that have now gone a bit cold (compared to your warm arms) and then tuck in blankets nice and tight, arms over top etc, often wakes baby up again. They can feed while in the grobag and then just slip them back into bed gently - voila! Also no chance of blankets coming off making baby cold or going over baby's head. They can't use them till there 10lb but well worth it.

Sling - babies like being held and this gives you chance to have both hands free while satisfying baby's need for closeness. It's nice for mummy and daddy to have that closeness too.

Infacol - drops for wind, gets up giant burps for happy babies!

Pointless purchases

Bottle warmer - container that electrically heats up water when you plug it in. So basically same as a kettle, except slower. A kettle and a jug do the same thing and you probably already own them. Only time I can see a bottle warmer being useful is in a hotel with no kettles but then a travel kettle would still be cheaper.

Wipes warmer - never bought one but I think this is the craziest invention ever. What happens when you go out and have normal temperature wipes? Cue screaming....

Bumbo - lo didn't like it, everyone of my friend's babies didn't like it. Baby will sit when he/she is ready, some carefully propped pillows will do the same job

Baby bath - take your lo in the bath or shower with you, or use the sink. You don't need a big container of water to lift and carry around.

This is all so useful, thank you! I haven't bought anything yet as i really don't want to waste money on unnecessary items and this list is very reassuring! x

I almost never tell people what to buy and not buy because we are all different AND all children are different as well. One child might love something and the other one would hate it. So that said, I am going to say what I have found useful just in case there's anyone out there like me.

I was told "Don't buy a changing table. You will never use it."
My son is 3 years old and I am STILL using my changing table. I used it to change him on. But I also used it to keep certain things out of his reach so he could play in his room. Now, I use it as a shelving unit for his toys. It has been so practical and so useful!

I was told "A wipe warmer is a waste of money."
Well my son was traumatized by diaper changes as a baby and having a warm wipe helped ease the process for him. It helped making it more relaxing. I want to buy every new parent one. But, see, we're all different.

I am glad we purchased a pack'n'play with a bassinet because it was useful for a very long time and we can use it again this time around.

I loved my boppy pillows. I still have them.

I was told that bouncers and swings are the best items. They ended up being dust-collectors in my house. My child had reflux and could not handle them. The bouncer aggravated his reflux even more. I'd wait until after baby is born to make either of those purchases. This time around, I'm looking for a swing that is flatter and lays back more as my son tried a friend's swing like that out when he was little and loved it. But you just won't know what baby will or won't like.

I wouldn't buy most of the bigger stuff (like jumpers, exersaucers, etc.) before having the baby this time around. The baby won't use it for months, and it takes up space.

I'm trying to think if there's anything I feel like we really wasted money on. The only thing I can think of was this swing that was supposed to transition to a high-chair, then a chair. It was a waste to me. The swing didn't work well at all. It was a headache to transition it and the parts took up a ton of space in the house.

But, like I said at the beginning, I am very reluctant to tell people what to buy or not buy because everyone will have a different experience. And what was a waste for one person was a treasure for me and vise versa.

Oh and just to be funny, if you have a child who spits up a lot, you might want to invest in a poncho. ;)

The best thing i got was a snuza go monitor. It gives me such peace of mind that lo is breathing ok and i would recommend it to everyone!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snuza-Go-Baby-Movement-Monitor/dp/B002WLGV08

I also found muslins very useful and loads of bibs as i had a sicky baby.

One thing i wish i hadn't bought was a swing, my lo wasn't keen on it and by the time he liked it he was almost too heavy for it so he only actually used it for about 2 weeks. It does convert into a chair so we've used that a lot but the frame for the swing just takes up space.

Just stalking...my first baby is on the way and this is a GREAT thread!

This is just based on my two daughters + my personal preference. Aside from clothes, diapers and wipes.

Things I found most useful:
-Playmat. babies were really entertained by all the colours and toys.
-Pack and play. Great for travelling and has been one of my best purchases.
-Bottle drying rack
-Electric breast pump
-Breast pads
-Swaddle wrap for bigger babies, young ones can use a burp cloth
-Exersaucer
-Travel bottle warmer (it's non electric). Another great thing if you are a family that likes to travel or be outside for long periods of time.
-Diaper Genie. Bought this with my second, only wish I had it with my first.
-Car seat that snaps into the stroller, no one wants to wake a sleeping baby.
-Inflatable bath tub. Easy to store and is great for travelling.
-Baby beauty packs. Cheaper than buying things individually.
-Gripe water.
-Crochet blankets. Warm, but still breathable.
-Breastfeeding pillow. Has many uses, props baby up on his/her own etc.
-Snuggli or other baby wrap.

Things I found useless:
-Manual breast pump.
-Glass bottles. Heavy hurt my wrist.
-Crib bedding sets. I was told the bumper pad and comforter are a big no no.
-Jolly jumper. Both my kids cried in this.
-Baby monitor. We live in a one level rancher house and can hear everything.
-Electric bottle warmer. Takes longer than warming water in a microwave.
-Highchair. We usually eat together on the floor so this was barely used.
-Bassinet. Cute, but baby outgrows it way too quickly.
-Bibs. We just used burp cloths as they covered more than a bib.
-Hooded Towels. Adult sized ones work perfectly fine.
-Diaper bag. Waste of money.
-Crib mattress protector. Crib mattress already has a wipeable non absorbent surface.

Hit and miss:
-Swing. DD1 loved it, DD2 hated it.
-Snowsuit. Living where I do winter can either be really mild with nothing but rain, or it can get down to minus 10 celcius.
-Scratch mittens. These were useful for DD2, but DD1 didn't need them.
-Soothers/Pacifier. DD1 liked them, DD2 liked her thumb better.
-Mobile. I think this was more for me, neither of my kids seems particularly interested in it.

Swaddle
Sling
Electric breast pump
Baby bouncer
Playmate/gym
Bottles
Sleeping bag.
Hooded towels
Baby bath/seat

I'm still first tri, so I haven't really bought anything other than a baby bathrobe and some onesies. :)

My luxury yet essential items:

-Baby bath... It was used a lot and dd loved laying in it for bath time. It freed my hands up to wash quicker. Some moms don't care for them but we loved it and plan on using it again!

-Jumperoo type activity center... Expensive, but once dd was 5 months old I could put her in it for 20-25 mins to have my hands free to eat or clean or do my hair while she jumped. She loved it! And so did I lol

-Activity mat for the floor... dd did a lot of tummy time and liked the little toys for it. You can easily make your own though, like throw a blanket on the floor with toys, etc.

-Jogging stroller... I didn't buy a stroller until dd was 4 months old. I hated the basic 4 wheel ones bc I could not steer them! The snap and go one my SIL had for my niece was awful. So I got a 3-wheel jogging stroller and it has been the single best baby equipment we have purchased to date. I'm getting a double jogging stroller this spring and I'm so excited!

A good hack for a baby bath - put a slotted laundry basket in the big bath tub. Or, use the kitchen sink (hey it was good enough for my mom, and her mom, so it's good enough for me)!!

Other essentials:
Receiving blankets (I like the flannel ones, soft and absorbent)
I used cloth diapers and was seriously addicted to buying them lol
Electric double-side breast pump and freezer bags for milk
Stretchy wrap (Moby style)

Total waste of money:
Soothers (son never took one)
Stroller - he always wanted to be in the wrap, and it was way easier than trying to deal with the dumb, clunky, awkward stroller. Plus he outgrew the car seat that snapped into the stroller when he was only four months, so it lost the convenience factor pretty early on.

Annnnd another waste in our case was a crib. I didn't actually plan on co sleeping but it was just so much easier in our case, so he co slept full time until 15 months or so, and honestly could have transitioned straight into a twin bed with side rails. As it was I used the crib with one side removed as a toddler bed until I could afford a new bed for him. But your mileage will definitely vary on that one; cosleeping is definitely not for everyone!

Hit list:
Loads of sleepsuits
Playmat
Bouncer/ baby chair
Travel system
Changing station
Decent changing bag
Annbel Karmel weaning book

Miss list:
Too many muslin squares
Top & tail bowl
Nappy bin