Zero interest in feeding himself after having solids for a month and a half

AlwaysPraying

Mom of two!
Reaction score
Not sure if this is normal or not. Baby is six and a half months and has been on solids for a month and a half. He drinks and eats amazing (I have issue with volume but that's another story). He has zero interest in holding his bottle or grabbing the spoon or any food. He will gladly let me feed him and opens his mouth and leans in to eat solids. So it's not that he doesnt want the food itself. He will put a cracker to his mouth and suck on it if I give it to him. But if I give chereos or pieces of cooked carrot he just smacks at them and pushes them around with no attempt to put hand to mouth.

Is this expected at this age or should he be putting things in his mouth?

It is normal! I did BLW, and Ruby was not interested in until 7.5 months. There's no reason why a baby fed purees should be able to eat finger foods earlier, in fact they may well learn later. Being able to feed themselves is a developmental thing rather like sitting unaided or pulling to stand - they all do it eventually but not at the same time! :)

Omar is 16 months & he has zero interest in feeding himself. He knows how to hold food & put it in his mouth but he's not interested. At 9 months he started to hold food when o handle it to him but after few bites he looses interest & throws it expecting me to feed him. He also developed his pincer grip at around 9.5 months. Now he can pick up the tiniest objects & food pieces & he can also use crayons but he still hates to feed himself. As he doesn't eat much I keep offering him finger food but I always end up spoon feeding him or holding his finger food. xx

As for putting thing in mouth, Omar never put a toy or random objects when he was a baby, he started to use teethers when he finally had his first tooth 1 week after his birthday. It's not so common in babies & it's more common for boys than girls.

totally normal. i did blw to and it took kacey a good few months and that was just a basic interets. For now solids is about playing and having fun and learning. your Lo is doing great. just keep offering finger foods or let him have a spoon as well as you

Great to know! I wasn't sure how well he should be with his fingers right now. Sounds like he's on target. He puts everything else in his mouth and sucks his hands but I guess just loves having mommy feed him. What a man! Lol!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->