Zoloft and Breastfeeding?

Nicoleoleole

2 kids + 1!
Reaction score
Hey girls, I need help.
Today I was prescribed Zoloft. I am breastfeeding LO every 100 minutes almost (1 hour, 40 minutes to be exact... and she's like timework lol).
My doctor said it would be okay, and I did some google research and they say the best time to nurse is right before and then the 'peak' of the medicine should be done by the time of the next nursing (which most for them was like 3 hours). But LO can't go more than 1 hour, 40 minutes without feeding.

It was also mentioned that "it shouldn't do any harm, but watch her just in case." This makes me not want to take it at all.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'd rather go on without the medicine if it means messing with my LO, but everyone is saying the medicine will help. :/

Thanks! :)

Taking any drug when breastfeeding is always something that we worry about ! And yet, medication is a really wonderful invention that can enhance both mum and baby's lives.

To make it more complicated, drug companies always hedge around the issue with comments about "may" and "could" which always make me feel worried! I think they are protecting their backs. Antidepressants have been used for many years by many, many breastfeeding women.

My understanding is that Zoloft is the best antidepressant for BFing mothers. And that there are risks of not-taking the drug which are rather greater than the risks associated with the small amount that secretes into your milk.

There's a link here: https://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html

Mel

Taking any drug when breastfeeding is always something that we worry about ! And yet, medication is a really wonderful invention that can enhance both mum and baby's lives.

To make it more complicated, drug companies always hedge around the issue with comments about "may" and "could" which always make me feel worried! I think they are protecting their backs. Antidepressants have been used for many years by many, many breastfeeding women.

My understanding is that Zoloft is the best antidepressant for BFing mothers. And that there are risks of not-taking the drug which are rather greater than the risks associated with the small amount that secretes into your milk.

There's a link here: https://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html

Mel

This is my understanding too - my peer supporter at BF group has been taking it for 2 years (and still BFs) and her little girl is alert and growing / developing well.

I have been taking it for 3 months I think now. My main worry was LO perhaps not feeding as much from things I'd read so I took him to be weighed regularly just to ease my paranoia. He is gaining reaaaally well and developing brilliantly.

I believe its also called Sertraline - you'll find lots of threads on it as it seems to be the preferred choice :thumbup:

I have taken 100 mg of Zoloft daily since before I was TTC. I tried to go off it when I started TTC, but it didn't go well. :nope:

I have stayed on it all during both my pregnancies. I have nursed my DS for 18 months on it, and my DD for 5 months now. Both are growing, healthy, happy babies. Both are ahead on their milestones. Neither show any adverse affects from it. :thumbup:

I would say it is safe. For me, it is worth it. When I am not on it, my anxiety levels skyrocket, I get worried, depressed, grumpy... all things that make me less of a good mom to my babies.

I've done loads of looking into it. Zoloft in particular doesn't get into breastmilk well. The amounts that show up in breastmilk, even at peak, are so tiny that they likely have little to NO effect on baby. I would stay on as low a dose as you can, but try not to worry too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->