★ October & November 2020 Hedgehogs ★

Meals out and hair cuts! It’s amazing how things we’d have taken for granted a few months ago seem so exciting now! I’ve got my first haircut since lockdown booked for next week. I’m looking forward to it but going back out and doing things is nerve wracking at the same time.
I’m so tired this morning. It’s been a really stressful night. I was at my parents all day yesterday and their dog was having breathing difficulties. He ended up at the emergency animal hospital last night with a collapsed larynx and needed surgery. Luckily it went well but I’m so worried about him. He’s such a lovely thing and I missed him more than anyone else during lockdown! Waiting for news now to see how he did overnight.

Joanna I know what you mean about the anterior placenta. I had one with my first and didn’t really know any different. My second had a posterior placenta and the movements were much stronger. This one is anterior again and while sometimes the movements are still very obvious, there’s definitely positions baby gets in that makes them harder to feel!

Cat I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. How devastating for her and I completely get the anxiety that brings on for you. Someone I know lost her baby at 20 weeks a couple of months ago and it did shake me up. Trying to focus on the good seems like a good idea! Evelyn sounds like she’s very cute about Bonnie. Those are such lovely names!

Jellybean I never know where my placenta is I'm sure they tell me but I forget haha!!

Thank you they are cute names but ev can be a devil lol x

Cat I’m so glad Bonnie is OK. It’s very scary when you can’t feel them for a day or two and I can’t believe your medical care personnel didn’t take it seriously at first!

Beautiful pics co_foster and Pineberry, this is such a lovely trimester for scans! Especially when you can see the faces xx

Haircuts, holidays and dining out, sounds like everyone’s busy! I haven’t had a haircut in ages, I cut my fringe in May and have been doing my own roots since Dec... I need my split ends gone! Weird thing about my hair and skin- second tri pregnancy has given me a lovely complexion for the first time since I was a child! I’ve always had acne and very oily skin, even now. But these days I don’t even wear foundation anymore. Also- my hair doesn’t get oily. I used to wash it daily/every second day, now I wash it once a week and just put treatment in my ends every day. I know the low maintenance won’t last much beyond pregnancy but I’m enjoying it while I can.

Every week someone at my school tests positive and of course I read too many horror stories about pregnancy & covid & fetal transmission. I’m going for a gynae scan on Thursday and will find out if I should start teaching from home/online soon. Work is driving me crazy and I wish I could resign from my new teaching job and just focus on my own tutoring business. Teaching has become a health hazard (at my school and a few others) and very crazy due to our learners having missed MONTHS of academic work & us having to try to catch them up before October (year end exams start). My son’s school is still covid-free though and I plan to keep him there as long as possible because he needs the stimulation and who knows when they will close down schools again over here, there are already government talks.

RSA is currently 7th in the world re infections and officially the country with the highest infection rate atm. I hate it and it’s so stressful! I just want to self-isolate already!

Nesting- I’ve gotten a few baby things from my brother and want to arrange a drive-through baby shower at the beginning of Sept, then I can really organize the baby’s room and figure out what else I need.

Breast pumps- I bought the Nuby and inherited the Mooka silicone pumps that are similar to the Haaka and am looking forward to trying them out. Also have the Medela electric pump, got a Medela hand pump from brother’s wife and still have a Tommee Tippee hand pump from last time. I’m definitely going to pump more between feedings to try and build a better supply. I disliked the hand pump last time though. I thought it was painful and inefficient.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Last edited:
I'm sorry about your job Fern, that does sound pretty miserable. I feel so bad for teachers everywhere right now. You really do have it rough. Hang in there, and I hope the stress and chaos calms down soon.

Hi all I'm so sorry work sucks fern I would be freaking out and sod the money lol!! Iv gone the other way I'm very spotty and hair is really greasy which sucks!

Co how are you doing?

Afm iv noticed a pattern that Sunday's are really awful for tiredness! I'm feeling pretty low about always feeling sick as Well they gave me some anti sickness tablets and they have stopped the actual vomiting but the nausea is intense. Does anyone else feel it atm?? Xx

Cat I wonder what it is about Sundays? Maybe it’s just that end of the week feeling! I hope your nausea is better soon! I’ve noticed I’ve been feeling sick again occasionally. I’ve put it down to baby taking up more room!

Fern your work does sound very stressful, I hope your appointment goes well and that you’re able to work from home after that!

I’ve got a very sore bump today. Baby is moving about well and I think it might just be the position baby is in. I’m feeling quite bloated as well which doesn’t help!
I’m taking the kids to the park later and already dreading the pelvic pain. So much discomfort at this point in pregnancy. Feeling very guilty about the impact it has on what I can do with my other kids.
Anyone else found good activities to do with their kids that don’t involve lots of walking and standing? All the softplays are closed at the moment or we would’ve been going to those!

I'm doing okay Catmum - thanks for asking. I agree, Sundays seem to be hard. Baby was also moving around really roughly yesterday for a small bit (the rest of the day I hardly felt him at all), and I had to adjust how I was sitting because it was starting to really hurt. Also, does anyone feel them kick in their cervix area? He sits really low all the time so I frequently feel him bounce on my bladder, but recently I have felt the kicks all the way down in my cervix. Is that normal? I keep worrying he's trying to stick his feet out (obviously not what's happening but still).

I'm doing okay Catmum - thanks for asking. I agree, Sundays seem to be hard. Baby was also moving around really roughly yesterday for a small bit (the rest of the day I hardly felt him at all), and I had to adjust how I was sitting because it was starting to really hurt. Also, does anyone feel them kick in their cervix area? He sits really low all the time so I frequently feel him bounce on my bladder, but recently I have felt the kicks all the way down in my cervix. Is that normal? I keep worrying he's trying to stick his feet out (obviously not what's happening but still).
I had been getting kicks right down in my cervix, they took me quite by surprise the first few times. No idea if it's normal or not but baby appears to have stopped them again now, I'm definitely not complaining.

Ive just moved house so haven't been online as things have been absolute madness here but finally had 15minutes to sit and chill and catch up.
So pleased to hear everyone is doing well apart from the aches and pains of this stage of pregnancy.
I had a 28 week growth scan this morning and baby is measuring 2lbs 8oz, just below the 50th percentile so I'm happy with that xx

Cat I wonder what it is about Sundays? Maybe it’s just that end of the week feeling! I hope your nausea is better soon! I’ve noticed I’ve been feeling sick again occasionally. I’ve put it down to baby taking up more room!

Fern your work does sound very stressful, I hope your appointment goes well and that you’re able to work from home after that!

I’ve got a very sore bump today. Baby is moving about well and I think it might just be the position baby is in. I’m feeling quite bloated as well which doesn’t help!
I’m taking the kids to the park later and already dreading the pelvic pain. So much discomfort at this point in pregnancy. Feeling very guilty about the impact it has on what I can do with my other kids.
Anyone else found good activities to do with their kids that don’t involve lots of walking and standing? All the softplays are closed at the moment or we would’ve been going to those!

It's hard for the others do they understand if you explain? I'm not sure what else to suggest? Painting, etc but everything seems to take loads of energy atm. Luckily mine all amuse each other having 5 is useful sometimes lol. Mine are on summer holiday for 6 weeks now ohh the joy LMAO. Just got some of the uniform and £100.00 later god knows how much more i have left to pay out!

It is very normal to feel that. They can still move all over at this point. I'm quite worried that I feel her mostly at the sides this time which is a new one on me.

Afm I'm soo tired!

Is anyone else really looking forward to having their babies already?? Like I'm reading all of the posts in the birth announcements bags are ready etc x

Co I’ve been getting those sharp cervix pains when baby bounces down there. Full on lightening crotch! I’m sure it started later last time. Same with the bladder diving. I go from not needing to wee to suddenly being desperate because baby is pressing down on my bladder. I’m not sure which way up baby is but I think possible head down a lot of the time. I’ve got a private scan on Saturday and I’ll find out then!

Jess I’m glad the growth scan went well! Hope things are starting to calm down after the move, moving house is always so stressful!

Cat the lads are really good about it, all the guilt is coming from me! We had such an exciting summer last year and now after being in lockdown for so long, I feel like I’m running out of ways to entertain them. Especially now the school holidays have started. They’re actually quite good at entertaining themselves and play together really well. I probably just need to relax a bit! I feel your pain on the uniform. It’s expensive enough just for two kids!

I’m getting excited for the baby to get here too. Trying not to wish the pregnancy away but can’t wait to meet this baby! I’ve got a 4D private scan booked for Saturday and it’ll be the first time my husband has been at a scan. Can’t wait for that!

Morning everyone.

I'm in the same boat as many of you all, feeling the aches and pains of this stage of pregnancy. I find that by the evening my back is feeling quite sore, but thankfully after a rest on the couch with a small pillow at the small of my back really helps. I had my last monthly doctor's visit with my GP yesterday, baby is measuring at 28 weeks, so just a few days ahead. I now get referred to the hospital OB who I will see every two weeks now... it's crazy how fast this pregnancy is going!

I'm also struggling with not being able to do things on my own (physically speaking). Such as, if I want a box moved, I'd usually just move it. But now having to wait and ask for help is so annoying lol! Anyone else find this part difficult?

Last edited:
Joanna I have fibromyalgia so struggle some days with the physical aspects of life any way but since being pregnant i feel like a bit of an invalid and been snappy a bit lately feeling like I'm always waiting for help with things I should be able to do on my own!! Then I feel guilty and get upset lol hormones Hey!! I helped my son who's 6 make some brownies today they were lush and exhausted and it's only 2.20pm! Gonna go for a lay down and see if I can ease the muscles. X

Ooohh I’m definitely feeling the physical aspects... I can also feel A kicking me and the cervix and in the rear lol! My hips are still sore but better after going to physiotherapy. My shoulders are becoming more sore from slumping especially in front of the computer; I constantly have to try to remember to maintain a good posture but by the time I remember it’s usually too late and I’m already sore. And my bump is huge & I feel very sore and stretched out. For the past month I’ve eaten very healthy (no junk and my only carbs are 2 slices of high protein bread a day!) but unfortunately no time for exercise. I’m going to the dr on Thursday and we’ll see what the dreaded scale says :( so yes I’m not looking forward to how uncomfortable the next 3 months are going to be.

At my school everyone including the department heads seem to be convinced that I’m going to have to work from home from next week onwards (almost third tri) without me bringing it up. So maybe they know what the drill is in other schools, which I don’t know about..? I must say I will feel physically safer but it’s much harder to teach kids if you aren’t face to face in the classroom with them so either way it’s not ideal but will have to cope! RSA is now 5th worldwide and we still have the fastest rising infection rate. People are not taking hygiene measures seriously and are defying orders left and right! Since I can’t do anything about it I’m hoping this means the peak comes soon and let’s get it over with!

Yes I can’t wait for my baby to be born:) I have frequent vivid dreams of water breaking, having contractions (which didn’t even happen last time as I had an induction, weird constant period pain with no idea when a contraction is coming and then an epidural), giving birth and bf. His room is not nearly ready but his mom is!

Aw fern at least if your colleagues are talking about it they won't be surprised when you do say enough is enough! I have dreams too but I'm not sure if that's because of how many birth stories iv read haha xx

Fern that’ll be great if you can work from home especially with how how the infection rates are where you are!
The dreams sound like your mind is preparing you for what’s to come, it’s all so exciting! Bump growth rates pick up so quickly at this point, I think that’s why the aches and pains kick in more. I feel like every morning I’m waking up with a much bigger bump!

Cat the pain on top of the hormones is definitely enough to make anyone snappy. I imagine it’s even harder with fibro to deal with on top of that. Take it easy (well as easy as you can in the summer holidays with all the kids about) I hope you enjoyed those brownies!

Joanna I also find that frustrating! I find it difficult being on my own with the kids as if the 3 year old needs lifting etc I struggle! It drives me mad. Won’t be for long though and I keep reminding myself of that.

Officially ‘V Day’ for me today! One of my favourite milestones. It’s all starting to feel more feel and I’m so excited about this baby!

When is everyone planning on packing their hospital bags?
I haven't bought a single thing for it yet so mine won't be packed anytime soon but I honestly don't remember at what stage I packed with the other kids? xx

Fern - I'm glad your colleagues all feel the same as you do about the safety measures for you. I can't imagine how scary living in your area would be and having to go to work everyday, our area is relatively safe at the moment... you are a strong lady.

Jellybean - congrats on reaching V-day!

Jess - I'll probably get my hospital bags packed by 34 weeks. We are going to be setting up the crib/nursery next week when I'm off work on holidays. Right now all the things we have purchased for baby are set aside in bags... so I'll get everything out and arranged and see what we still need. I know I still need a lot of little stuff (diapers, wipes, breast pads, pads, etc.... things for postpartum.... but we've got most of the expensive things now).

So I have Rh negative blood, for those of you who don't know, it means that if my baby is an Rh positive blood type then if our blood mixes, my blood can create anti-bodies that will attack baby. To prevent this, I've always had a shot after giving birth so my blood doesn't create those anti-bodies which would result in miscarriages in future pregnancies.
What makes this pregnancy different from my other pregnancies, is that I've never had blood work and the shot at 28 weeks (I didn't even know I needed it until yesterday). So I'm curious why I didn't get this done with my last pregnancy or even my first! What a risk I put my other babies in, I can't believe my doctor didn't even mention this until yesterday! Anyway, I'm glad it's been caught and will be prevented early.

On another note, baby is going through another 3 day hardly moving/kicking phase. It makes me so nervous but at the same time I'm starting to notice it's a bit of a phase that comes every few weeks and the baby get's quiet for several days and then is very active again. Luckily now, I can kind of poke my belly and get a response, so I just need to wait it out. My doctor didn't seem concerned when I brought it up on Monday. His heart beat was nice and strong.

Jess I was so excited with my first baby that I had that bag packed by 28 weeks! With my second baby I think I was still throwing things in when I was in labour. I was much less organised! I’m planning a home birth this time but will still pack a bag just in case. I’ll probably start getting the things I need together for it in the next few weeks or so. Not going out to the shops has definitely disrupted my usual baby preparations though. I’ve not had the chance to just browse the aisles! We’ve even been doing click and collect supermarket shopping. It does save money though so that’s a bonus. The only thing I’ve really bought is nappies because they were on sale when we did our online grocery order.

Joanna I’m so glad you’ll be getting that injection (is it called anti d or am I thinking of something else?)
I’ve noticed my baby has some quieter days and I put it down to positioning. It’s good when you get to know their pattern and things that encourage movement though. Each stage of pregnancy seems to bring new things to worry about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->