1 in 5 chance of downs, positive thoughts please

charleychamp

Reaction score
Hi all, im Liane im 30 yrs old have an 8yr old daughter called charley and am pregant with no2, 11 weeks 5 days, Had my first scan on monday to find out on wednesday that i have a 1 in 5 chance of having a downs baby, the nuchal test came back 2.8mm which i was told is still in normal limits, the PAPPA came back as normal but the HCG came back at 2.15 in which i was told the national limit is 2. i have my CVS test booked in for tuesday afternoon but im so petrified , has anyone on here been through the same??? please help????

:hugs: didn't want to read and run. Sending positive thoughts your way!:hug:

hi hon
this happened to a friend of mine, her risk was 1 in 4. Her bubs is now 9 months old and perfectly healthy x

Hope all is ok for you too, I'm sure it will be

So many women are in your position and then have totally normal babies, just remember that and hopefully as your pregnancy progresses everything will even out for you.

Hugs!

my friend had a 1 in 2 chance had an amnio that came back pos for downs guess what fortunantley they decided to keep baby and now hes a perfectly healthy 2 year old ive had 2 babies with high risk for downs and they are perfect these tests can be sooo wrong i wont say dont worry cus you will but keep positive the nuchal test is good though mine was the same gl sweetie xxx

Did you know those tests are extremely inaccurate, and they are widely known to be so?
In What to Expect When You're Expecting it has a section about this.
It says with the quad testing out of 50 positive results, only 1 result is actually accurate.

Keep that in mind.
Our minister's daughter had a result saying she would likely have a baby with downs.
Well the baby was born and did NOT have downs.
I would not worry TOO much, but of course keep it in the back of your head.
As long as you will love your baby like you would if it didn't have downs, I don't think it should matter.

Good luck hun!

my friend had a 1 in 2 chance had an amnio that came back pos for downs guess what fortunantley they decided to keep baby and now hes a perfectly healthy 2 year old ive had 2 babies with high risk for downs and they are perfect these tests can be sooo wrong i wont say dont worry cus you will but keep positive the nuchal test is good though mine was the same gl sweetie xxx

oh my god, i thought these tests were so accurate!! this is soo stressfull, me and my partner are in two minds at the minute and dont have a clue what we would do if the result came back positive to downs but we were told that the cvs test would give us a definate yes or no! :shrug:

The CVS test will give you a definitive answer. I am now 20 weeks pregnant and was given a result of 1:7 for downs after combined test at 12 weeks. We knew we definitely wanted the CVS test and the result came back clear for any chromosonal abnormalities. You will have a chance to speak to the Nurse or Doc before you have the test and this will give you the opportunity to ask any questions that you have and to also have a full explanation. Hope you are ok - thinking of you! xx

:hugs: didn't want to read and run I hope all goes well for you and keep positive I know how hard it is I was given a 1:28 result and stressed for 3 weeks to the point were I was nearing a meltdown then when I made the decision that was right for me all the weight and stress has been lifted :kiss: and im sure you will feel the same after tuesday , all the best to you and keep us updated :hugs:

:hugs: My friend also was told she had a really high chance and her baby is totally healthy :)

Thankyou everyone for your help and thoughts, i feel alot less stressed about tuesday, just wish it would hurry up and come round and hope that this was all just a bad dream!! ill let you know how it goes and what the results turn out to be xxx

had 1:6 chance amnio came back negative!
Hope yours also comes back negative. :)

1 in 4 chance of downs is also a 3 in 4 chance of no downs at all. I wish you the best of luck - got everything crossed for you. xx

Also remember that it is not a life sentence if you do.. children with downs are wonderful, loving and grow up to be the same. They are still "healthy" just different and in need of a little more support and planning. Some of my fave memories are working with these children and thats why i never took the test. Good luck.

Also remember that it is not a life sentence if you do.. children with downs are wonderful, loving and grow up to be the same. They are still "healthy" just different and in need of a little more support and planning. Some of my fave memories are working with these children and thats why i never took the test. Good luck.

I personally agree completely...
I know its a tough thing to think about.....but as far as disabilities go, down syndrome is (in my opinion) one of the best to deal with. I have to worked with special needs children for years and the ds kids are typically sweet, friendly and loving. Ive actually always thought I would like to adopt a down syndrome child someday and give him/her a loving home.

Also, remember...theres a higher chance that your child will NOT have down syndrome then that he/she will.

Im sending positive thoughts your way! :hugs:

Hi all, thankyou all for your kind messages, just to let you all know i had my cvs test on tuesaday and got my results back today which were all clear!!!!!!!!!! im so happy but dont think i wpould of found it half as easy if i hadnt had the help from you girls! thankyou everyone xxxxxx :cloud9:

im so pleased for you.

i had results of 1 in 92 chance of downs syndrome, i opted not to get an amnio spent my whole pregnancy worried sick and in april gave birth to a perfectly healthy baby boy those blood tests can be so wrong xx

Hi all, thankyou all for your kind messages, just to let you all know i had my cvs test on tuesaday and got my results back today which were all clear!!!!!!!!!! im so happy but dont think i wpould of found it half as easy if i hadnt had the help from you girls! thankyou everyone xxxxxx :cloud9:

Thats great news :happydance: congrats you must be chuffed to bits and very very relieved :thumbup: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->