12 Month Blood Work Anxiety

Leids

Mommy :)
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

My little man is going to get his 12 month blood work tomorrow. It's required by our state to check lead and iron levels at 1 and 2 years old. I'm dreading it. I actually feel really sick about it tonight, my stomach is in knots. :(

Anyone else get the 1 year blood work done recently? How was it? Is it as bad as I'm thinking it's going to be? :wacko: We're going to the local children's hospital lab to get it done, and I hear they're amazing, so that does make me feel a bit better.

Thanks. :hugs:

It is hard to see little ones get blood drawn, but it's great that you are going to a hospital lab!

The pain of the stick shouldn't be that bad. You can ask the nurses to use a numbing cream if you're worried about it, but honestly as long as you have an experienced nurse it shouldn't feel like more than a quick pinch. If your nurse seems inexperienced, you do have the right to ask for a more senior one. Keep in mind that some kids have very tiny veins and it's possible that they may have to try more than once to get blood. If a nurse misses twice, ask for a more senior nurse.

The worst part for kids is usually the arm board. It's a device that holds the arm still so that kids don't jerk around and accidentally dislodge the needle. It doesn't hurt them, they just don't like being held down. I would bring anything you can to distract him. The calmer your son stays, the better. I know it's easier said then done, but you need to stay calm and positive. Act like you're playing a game and that the whole process is very exciting.

Make sure you are pushing fluids tonight and in the morning. It's harder for your nurse to get blood if your baby is dehydrated.

Good luck! It's more stressful for you then it will be for him. :hugs:

Thank you so much. :hugs: All of that information is extremely helpful! His appointment is at 11 tomorrow so i'll make sure he gets plenty of fluids. I know my fear can rub off on him so I'll try to stay positive. I wish he didn't have to get it but hopefully it's quick!

I think Randianne's advice is excellent, especially about staying calm and making sure baby is well-hydrated. Elsie had a blood draw a couple months ago and then the iron stick at her 12-month check-up and neither were as bad as expected. I thought for sure she was going to go berserk with the blood draw and need a bunch of people to restrain her but she did really well sitting on my lap (though of course she did protest a fair amount).

And going to the children's hospital is the best thing you could be doing. They deal with veins much smaller than William's on a regular basis and will know how to make the experience as stress-free as possible for both of you, so try not to worry too much. Like Randianne said, what babies get the most upset about is being restrained, not the little poke, so don't worry that he's in some horrible amount of pain or anything like that.

Thanks ladies, lots of good advice. :hugs: Going to leave in about 45 min and William refuses to nap! Ugh! He'll sleep well afterwards I'm sure.

Of course William falls asleep right before we need to go. :sleep:

My stomach is going nuts. When I have anxiety I always get nauseous, among other things. :nope: Not looking forward to this, but I'll do my best to be okay for him when we get there.

He did sooo good! Took about 20 seconds, person taking the blood was amazing, and he was all smiles walking out of the room. He didn't even resist them holding his arm, he didn't wiggle. I was so amazed. He cried for maybe 5 seconds max! He started smiling while the needle was still in his arm.

:happydance:

Picture of him less than 5 min after he got it done. He's way worse with shots! This was by far easier than shots and doctor appointments.

Ignore the nasty straps. We were out all weekend and I had to feed him his pouch in the car, which got everywhere. Haven't had a chance to clean them yet. :blush:

Attachments

• 600547_10151994947492519_1139743948_n.jpg
    600547_10151994947492519_1139743948_n.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012