15 mo baby taken away from mother due to extended breastfeeding

If they had no right to take the child away, then why hasn't someone called the police?!

I read that twice, but i understood very little of it....:confused:

It sounds like this particular relief agency frowns on breastfeeding moms and babies, especially older ones. If a baby has been given into their care (which has either happened or they are claiming happened) it is standard for that baby to only been seen once per week by the parent.

The child psychiatrist took expressed milk to the place where the child is supposedly being kept, and had to insist they take it. He was not allowed to see the child.

They are trying to pursue legal action, but have not recieved much support as of yet.

I'm more convinced the mother left the child with the relief agency after being kicked out because she refused to stop BFing. Which is still obviously wrong, but explains why the police hasn't immediately gotten involved. Either that or at least the relief agency is claiming she left the child of her own free will. Whether or not she was forced is a he said-she said and could be what is making it complicated.

!!!!!!!- insert expletives. Thats just a crime against nature, a crime against humanity. Speechless

sounds very odd to me. if i was living in a shelter and it was a case of stop bf or not see my child, my instinct would be stop bf and work on getting my life in order to get out of the shelter. nothing would stop me seeing my child, don't think this is really about bf.
must be more to it :shrug:

I'm very cyncial about this article. I wonder do they mean she didn't give solids along with the breastmilk or do they actually mean weaning?! It's very strange, as Spain is a first world country with v.high breast feeding stats.

Why is it when a case like this is presented people always assume there HAS to be more to it? For a group of people who claim not to be judgemental you are throwing alot of judgement at this case and the mother in question. This isn't the first case I have heard of similar to this and I'm saddened to say but I doubt it will be the last

Why is it when a case like this is presented people always assume there HAS to be more to it? For a group of people who claim not to be judgemental you are throwing alot of judgement at this case and the mother in question. This isn't the first case I have heard of similar to this and I'm saddened to say but I doubt it will be the last

i think in terms of signing a petition we are just saying without knowing the full facts it's hard to just 'assume' it's a simple case of mother refusing to stop bf therefore baby was taken away.

i also never said i wasn't judgemental, i'm only human after all :blush::haha:

If she refused to feed her any food then that is just weird and the baby is lucky to not be dead.

I agree wtih 3011busyyear

I just wouldn't be willing to sign a petition until I knew more details. With Spain being so pro-BF there has to be more to it. I would totally believe the relief organization tried to force her into quiting BF... but I would want to know more surrounding that. Was there nowhere else for her to go? Did they really force her to give up her child? If they have why hasn't the polic pursued kidnapping charges? Something isn't adding up. I don't want to sign a petition that, when all the facts were known, I'd be sorry for having supported.

Do you personally know of this happening to someone? Its not judgemental to use a critical eye when you see something on the internet its just good sense.

:coffee:

I know bits and pieces about Spanish society from friends who are from Spain and while BF in the first year is seen as fine there extended BF is not, also Spanish society has a lot of issue about North Africans its very complex but a lot of it is to do with the distant past, but also to do with recent immigration problems. While I haven't come across a case involving BF in the UK I have known of several cases of young women here staying at similar centres having their babies taken into care for spurious reasons. I hope the lady gets her baby back xx

I know bits and pieces about Spanish society from friends who are from Spain and while BF in the first year is seen as fine there extended BF is not, also Spanish society has a lot of issue about North Africans its very complex but a lot of it is to do with the distant past, but also to do with recent immigration problems. While I haven't come across a case involving BF in the UK I have known of several cases of young women here staying at similar centres having their babies taken into care for spurious reasons. I hope the lady gets her baby back xx

I had this suspicion to actually......Spanish have a massive issue with the north Africans.....sort of similiar to the issues that some people have with the influx of Poles coming into the UK...Alongside the historical stuff...

The racism over there can be immense in some areas...I suspect this is linked!

Also in Morocco...BF'in for an extended time is completely normal and is a regular occurence, so she may know no different :shrug:

Apparently the director of the centre said "the mother nursed her in a chaotic and non-food manner, for example, every time she cries or get hit". :dohh:

I won't be signing the petition, for the same reasons that others have said, there just aren't enough facts available about this, there has to be so much more to the story.

Racism could explain a great deal when combined with the quote about BFing in a "chaotic, non-food" manner. Then you are combining predjudices against both extended BF and race. That could become ugly quickly.

Either way, if the mother has treated her baby well, which it sounds she has, I truly hope she gets her back quickly.

Bubbles, I never claimed not to be judgemental - I'm usually quite judgemental but to be honest I think most people are. Not everyone necessarily admits it though! I think people are within their rights though to want to know the details before putting their name to petitions. In this instance, that isn't being judgemental - it's just good sense! Signing away any old thing without fulling understanding just cheapens the value of your name IMO x x

For Muslims its normal to breastfeed for about 2 years that is what is recommended but you are supposed to feed them food as well.

I'm a bit confused about people commenting about her not giving solids. Is that because it mentions not weaning? I assumed that meant weaning from the breast rather than introducing solid food.

^There is nothing to suggest she isn't giving other food in fact from the sounds of it they have a problem with the fact the baby is using BF for comfort and not for any nutritional reason xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->