15 mo baby taken away from mother due to extended breastfeeding

Thats awful that poor woman! I signed the petition and put a link to it on my Facebook page.

That's just awful. I feed Bethan still, and it's very rarely for food. It's good for them, and it's comforting. What the hell is wrong with comforting your child?!

I have nothing against the woman BF til whatever age she wants to that is totally up to her as a mum to do it to when she wants to but I really read it like she wasnt giving anything other than milk, I would be saying the same if it was FF I just think that babies need food too thats all

I got questioned 3 weeks ago when Ellie had a really bad cold and she wasnt breathing properly we were down at Peters sisters and had to go to Nottingham hospital and they dont know Ellies history and before they asked anything they started accusing me of not feeding her properly because of her weight!!! It wasnt until I told them she was prem and all her problems they couldnt be anything but nice

I just wont sign a petition on something Im not really sure about x

More on this story here: https://www.amormaternal.com/2011/06/please-help-habiba.html

I've posted a link to the petition in the breastfeeding section. I've found quite a few articles on this by googling 'Habiba spanish mother breastfeeding'.

This article has a lot more information:

https://www.phdinparenting.com/2011/06/09/spanish-government-authorities-removed-15-month-old-nursling-from-mothers-care-due-to-her-refusal-to-wean-her-child-by-force/

I've read the other information and many well known people in Spain; and very well known newspapers (including the equivalent of The Times or NY times) have reported on this in exactly the same way as it has been reported here. The lady WAS giving her child solids; no question of that however the home she was in with her daughter does not allow breastfeeding at all, it seems even for young babies. I would wonder if ladies here would be doubting this story so much if it was a 15 month old who still had a dummy, or still had one bottle a day which she couldn't let go of and then the child was taken? I am sure many would be rushing to sign the petition then. The whole story is out there and has been verified.

Shocked to hear that it is true. I think it just sounds so irrational and unbeleivable that people can't help but doubt it.

If it is completely true, and there are not other factors then it is disgusting. But tbh...why didn't she just stop?! She certainly shouldn't have had to, but she was obviously in a bad position if she was living there, and now she is homeless and has lost her baby. Not really worth prooving a point over (this would be the same if it was bottle/dummy whatever btw).

If it is completely true, and there are not other factors then it is disgusting. But tbh...why didn't she just stop?! She certainly shouldn't have had to, but she was obviously in a bad position if she was living there, and now she is homeless and has lost her baby. Not really worth prooving a point over (this would be the same if it was bottle/dummy whatever btw).

From the sounds of it, it was pretty sudden at the final stage. She may well have not known they were about to take away her child. I would fight any order to stop breastfeeding my daughter. I hardly think she's responsible by refusing to comply with such callous arbitrary regulations.

:shock: I'm deeply disturbed to imagine this is really happening.

I've sent a few request to respected US news organizations to follow up and report on it if true. Hopefully this story will spread and the international outcry will help reunite them.

From the sounds of it, it was pretty sudden at the final stage. She may well have not known they were about to take away her child. I would fight any order to stop breastfeeding my daughter. I hardly think she's responsible by refusing to comply with such callous arbitrary regulations.

I've not read any of the stuff so don't know the full story tbh. I definitely agree with you, and in no way think she's responsible, it's obviously horrendous what has happened. I just presumed that she would have been warned, what is the place she is living in? Could she not have just left?! I guess if I was in such a bad position and being threatened then staying with my baby would come before any kind of feeding thing or w/e, because god knows what would happen to the baby once you'd left. Obviously she should never be put into that position, but as I said, I don't know the whole story.

Why is it when a case like this is presented people always assume there HAS to be more to it? For a group of people who claim not to be judgemental you are throwing alot of judgement at this case and the mother in question. This isn't the first case I have heard of similar to this and I'm saddened to say but I doubt it will be the last

I think because its only natural and civalised to want to know full facts and all sides of a story before jumping to conclusions.
Isnt this why courts and trials where invented?
History has proven that if everyone just went along with the flow of one side that many innocent people are judged without a trial and punnished or put to death while many more truly guilty parties get away with it.
Classic example being Shannon Mathews, if people hadnt of thought "hang on theres somthing more or not right about this" then her mother would have got away with it and not now be in prison.

To only listen to one side of a story and basing your decisions around that is not just nieve but dangerous.
If we believed everything we read in papers or heard on the news without using our own judgment or at least wondering where the other side of it is then we havnt realy come along very far from the days of just following the masses to "burn the witch"
Just because one person or one group say somthing doesnt make that the whole truth and the only facts and 90% of the time there is more to a story then is first told.

I've read the other information and many well known people in Spain; and very well known newspapers (including the equivalent of The Times or NY times) have reported on this in exactly the same way as it has been reported here. The lady WAS giving her child solids; no question of that however the home she was in with her daughter does not allow breastfeeding at all, it seems even for young babies. I would wonder if ladies here would be doubting this story so much if it was a 15 month old who still had a dummy, or still had one bottle a day which she couldn't let go of and then the child was taken? I am sure many would be rushing to sign the petition then. The whole story is out there and has been verified.

Im sorry if iv mss understood this post but to me it comes across as very "your only ignoring it because its about bf" why does it always have to come back to "all and only breastfeeders get victamised" type tone.
I and im sure alot of people would question the story based on one side without at least wondering what the other side was no matter what the subject is.
My doubt is not based on because its about bf or because I dont bf its based because I have sense to not jump on a band wagon untill I know more about a situation.
If after learning more about the situation and at least learning who, whats and whys other then the first thing I read in the opening post I still think its discusting then I will gladly sign the pertition

Just read the baby was returned to her mum on the 23rd June (this was in the Guardian). Smokey I am not saying people are ignoring the story because its about BF but they have all kinds of suspicions about the truth of the story which I honestly don't feel they would have if it was about a FF baby. For example, the assumption by so many that the mum was not giving solids at all; only BF nowhere was this written in any of the articles on the topic but so many assumed extended BF=no solids! xx

Have you got a link to the article? Or were you reading the old fashioned paper kind? :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->