15 weeks and about to maybe lose job :( need advice

pradabooties

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm 15 weeks 4 days pregnant and I've just been informed by the manager of my workplace that it's fairly likely the company will be closing down within the next two months. I'm at a loss... I don't know exactly what to do. I have a great part time job that allows me to work from home so I was really happy to have that flexibility to look forward to when I'm heavily pregnant and then with a newborn.

My partner does not have a good enough income for me to simply stop working. I know its technically illegal to not hire someone because they're pregnant but of course when an employer is deciding between applicants of course they would take that into consideration as an issue. I've just applied for a few temporary and casual positions but I don't know how to handle this situation, do I hide it and not mention anything at the interview? And then if I do get a job when do I tell them?

I'm very stressed out and confused, did not need this worry on top of moving house tomorrow!

Im not sure what the law says where you are, but I would find out at what stage in your pregnancy are you required by law to inform your employer.

Here I think its like 24 weeks or maybe later? But we do need to apply for time off for antenatal appointments 2 weeks in advance and 4 weeks in advance for maternity leave.

Honestly I'd just apply for the jobs and not say anything about my pregnancy. It would be unfair (and I think unlawful?) for them to not consider you for the job just cos your pregnant.

Good luck I hope it all works out!

If I were you I would apply for jobs and not say anything to your potential employer. One way to look at it is that you are actually doing them a favour by preventing them from doing something illegal (i.e. not hiring you because you are pregnant). You are not legally required to tell them until a certain stage in your pregnancy - here in Canada you must give your employer 4 weeks written notice that you will be taking maternity leave, so technically you don't have to tell your employer about your pregnancy until a month before your due date. The laws are there to protect you, so don't feel guilty about not disclosing your pregnancy, especially this early on.

Do what you have to do for your family as long as you are within the law. I'm pretty sure here we don't have to inform about pregnancy until 24 weeks. I know my department just got a new employee who didn't inform about pregnancy until after she was in orientation. Although she is due at the same time I am, and my company was hiring her to be trained to work while I was on Maternity leave.

Just do what you need to for you!

Thank you everyone, its such a tricky situation!
I would definitely be applying for more casual / part time jobs so maternity leave isn't really the issue - our government here provides parental leave benefits in the case of your employer not doing it.

So I would be wanting a casual or part time job that ideally I could go back to a month or so after the birth but worst case scenario I could take 18 weeks off after the birth and job hunt again during that time.

I guess I'm just worried because I feel like its sort of dishonest to get a job and then be like surprise! I'm pregnant. I believe the law here is 24 weeks as well so assuming I could secure a job in the next 9 weeks I'd have to tell them pretty quickly anyway (the job market/economy is really bad in my city at the moment, people normally job hunt for around 3 months before finding anything).

Thanks for your advice ladies, I think I will just start applying and see how it goes!

Im currently looking for work! Had 3 interviews so far and havent told any! Im 18 weeks almost and dont plan on telling until iv signed a contract!! May be some that disagree with it but I cant help but think who would employ me in pregnancy! Im still more that capable to work and dont see why it should affect me or them! I dont care about maternity pay or anything like that! Just want to be in full time work! Xx

I'll be finished school in the middle of August, at 23 weeks pregnant. After school I can work under supervision until I write my national exam in the middle of November. I thought, who would hire me when I have to be supervised for that long, and then I'll be on maternity leave starting in December (ie. I will only be able to work unsupervised for a maximum of 2 weeks before I go on maternity leave!). Well, I found a job and they know I'm pregnant and are perfectly fine with the situation. Just keep looking and something will fall into place!

So sorry to hear that. I'm in the same position, by the end of September I might lose my job.

I'm not sure how maternity benefits work in Aus, here in the UK we get maternity allowance (only £138 per week) if we have worked in the past 26 weeks or something. Not sure if there is something like that over there.

Hope you get it sorted !

So sorry to hear that. I'm in the same position, by the end of September I might lose my job.

I'm not sure how maternity benefits work in Aus, here in the UK we get maternity allowance (only £138 per week) if we have worked in the past 26 weeks or something. Not sure if there is something like that over there.

Hope you get it sorted !

Ah I'm sorry to hear that, it's so stressful isn't it! It's pretty much exactly the same here in Australia, we get maternity allowance for 18 weeks after the birth, at least thats something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->