2 unrelated home birth questions

Narie

Expecting baby no.3
Reaction score
1) How many towels should I have prepared for the home birth? The mw just said have some towels ready, so I've put 3 good size towels in my home birth box is that enough?

2) Are the heat pads that are single use like curaheat that you can buy from the pharmacy OK to use during labour ? Both times previously I've had most of my labour pains in my back and thought a pad might be easier to use then a hot water bottle.

Hi there :)
On my list that the midwife gave me she suggested 3 large towels. Are you having doing a waterbirth as well? Then you would want some towels for the floor around the pool. As far as the heating pad I don't know a whole lot about how safe they are. I was having pretty bad back pain awhile ago and I asked my MW if I could use one of those heating pads, and she said occasionally and just make sure you only use it on your back. I would ask your MW to be sure. It would certainly be easier for you though. :)

i got 3 packs of 3 towels of different sizes (large, med, small), and for your back pain have you tried a tens machine? mine was really helpfull in my last birth as he was lying back to back and the pain was all in my back and spine, dont think your supposed to use them before labour but i did occasionally during the last 6 weeks or so (had 2 TEST it lol) :) xxx

The list I have from the midwife asks for 8 large towels.

I had 4 towels in my box, bath sheet size. Also I used tens throughout my whole labour and really liked it, but I'm sure the heat pads will be fine to use but maybe not create as much heat as a hot water bottle.

1) I was told to have 10 bath towels and about 10-15 small dish towels on hand. I used 1 towel for my homebirth and that was a towel that we caught ds2 in which could have been done with a recieving blanket.

2) I'm sure those pads could work. You can also try a warm bath, warm shower, wet dish towel warmed in the oven or microwave, and a heat sock.

Thanks, I picked up some heat pads in the week as they were only £2.66 for 3 so seeing as they were cheap I thought I would give them a go.

I used 1 towel for my last home birth.. and it was a water birth! :haha: I had a bath sheet to wrap me in when I got out of the pool, and LO was snuggled up in the same towel as me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->