2 years old likes sleeping "trapped"?

missielibra

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure how to phrase it, but my 22 months old likes to sleep "trapped. He has a toddler bed and he'll turn so he's sleeping horizontal, head agaisnt the barrier, forced in a ball. Or he'll get up and go on his rocking chair in the middle of the night, sleeping basically in a ball, head pressed against one side and legs folded pressing against the other.

Is it a normal behavior that he doesn't seem to want the openness and freedom to move while sleeping or should I be concerned?

Thank you!

I think to some degree everyone has their sleeping preferences. I’m not a child psychologist or a pediatrician or have any relevant information than personal anecdote. Some kids like the pressure against their bodies, it’s soothing. It could just be that or it can range all the way up to anxiety. I have to sleep wrapped tightly in a comforter even if it’s hot af. But I have an anxiety disorder and the pressure calms me. Flip side, my son has a diagnosed sensory processing disorders and has shown to like to sit in tight places or deep hugs but gives zero thoughts about being bundled up to sleep. So honestly I wouldn’t stress unless you’re worried he’s going to get hurt or if there’s some underlying trauma. Worst case bring it up to his doctor for reassurance. But I wouldn’t give it much thought tbh esp if he’s just always slept like that vs suddenly changed

As the above poster said, everyone has their own sleeping preferences. My four year old still doesn't use a pillow and prefers to sleep on a completely flat surface, Lol.
Maybe your LO feels safer being surrounded like that. When I was younger I used to sleep with a duvet over my head even in the summer as I was scared of the dark.

I agree with regards to sleeping preferences . DD1 sleeps facing the wall with her hand touching the wall . DD2 sleeps all over the place and DS on the other hand sleeps at the very bottom of his cot then he will be rolling all over the place waking himself up ! . So three very different sleeping preferences !

If he’s not waking up I’d assume he was comfortable and happy x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->