• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

20 week scan - how long and how many people?

KittieB

Reaction score
I have my 20 week scan in a couple weeks and have a couple questions for those ladies who have already had theres.

How long roughly does it take? Is it longer than the 12 week scan?

And how many people did you bring with you? Obviously my OH is coming, but I really want my Mum to come too :)

my 20 weeks scan was 2 hours!!! and not even my DH was allowed in the room until the very end when they told us the sex, we were not pleased that they wouldnt let him in :(

I've heard many women say around 30-60 minutes long. However my baby was being an overachevier and did all the right moves to get measurments, so it lasted about 15 minutes.
We had my husband and mom. Other times before that we had up to 5 people in the room to see the baby. Depends on your doctor office.

The 20 week scan is LONG. Keira was co-operating and showing everything off and it still took a little over an hour. OH wasn't allowed in until after the tech got everything she needed (which is normal).

Our 20 weeks u/s took about 1 hour, it was just hubby, me (and baby!), and the technician in the room. I wouldn't want a bunch of people in the room with us.. it's kind of a special 'couple' event imo.

Mine today took roughly 40 mins . He was so very thorough and explained everything he was measuring and why . We got some amazing pictures of baby sucking it's thumb and giving a high 5 . Amazing . Also it was just my husband and I in the room with the sonographer.

on my appointment letter it said it would take 20mins but it took 45 mins and i have to come back for another scan as the baby didnt want to co operate towards the end so its spine wasnt checked

Thank you girls :) I'm so happy that it's longer than the 12 week scan. Can't wait!

I didn't realise my OH will have to wait outside until the sonographer got everything they need - does this happen everywhere?

My hospital said to allow for an hour and to not bring kids and they only let OH half in at the end of it - they really need to concentrate and they want as few distractions as possible which is totally understandable.

Mine lasted about 20 minutes and I brought my boyfriend. She told us the sex almost instantly and the rest was just taking pictures and measurements.

No, most places let the husband in..(in the UK) but maybe not any other people.

No, most places let the husband in..(in the UK) but maybe not any other people.

I'm in the UK, it says on my appointment letter that "partners, children and close relatives are welcome, space permitting". I think I might phone them tomorrow and ask.

About 40 mins,Inc a brisk walk around the block as baby was in wrong position for measuring the spine. My hubby and 17 year old son were allowed in too:happydance:

I have my 20 week scan in a couple weeks and have a couple questions for those ladies who have already had theres.

How long roughly does it take? Is it longer than the 12 week scan?

And how many people did you bring with you? Obviously my OH is coming, but I really want my Mum to come too :)

DH came with me to our anomaly scan this morning, which lasted about a half hour. However, the practice I go to does mostly anatomy checks at 20 weeks, with another scan at 24 weeks digging deeper and looking at the cardiac progress.

Mine was about an hour. I had my boyfriend and my grandma with me.

This is the bit I find weird. In the uk I have always had my DH in the room with me, but here in Canada I have to go in alone and he can only come in at the very end. I have my anomaly scan on Tuesday and they told me he won't be allowed in til the end again. Part of the reason I am having a private scan after Christmas. I understood at the NT scan as the measurement has to be so accuarate and no distractions are required but thought he could come in with me a this one..... :nope:

This is the bit I find weird. In the uk I have always had my DH in the room with me, but here in Canada I have to go in alone and he can only come in at the very end. I have my anomaly scan on Tuesday and they told me he won't be allowed in til the end again. Part of the reason I am having a private scan after Christmas. I understood at the NT scan as the measurement has to be so accuarate and no distractions are required but thought he could come in with me a this one..... :nope:

They measure every single organ here at the anomaly scan. Everything. It takes a really long time because of it but they also have to make sure they are accurate the same way they do with the NT scan. I've never had my OH allowed to come in for the full scan - it's always at the end and even then they don't guarantee it will be allowed. I've gone to 3 different places for my ultrasound and it was the same as far as OH goes at each one.

I was told mine could last up to 2 hours, and that my DH was allowed to go in with me. My 12 week scan he was able to be in there with me the entire time as well, and it lasted about 45 minutes (kiddo was being uncooperative!). I'm getting mine done on December 13th, nice early Christmas present. :)

Mine took about 2 hours as I had a very complicated pregnancy. They check everything, all the organs, the chambers in the heart etc.

Oh and if they ask you to roll on your side... you might want to hold onto something because when they press down it HURTS!! The sonographer scanned me on my side for so long that she had to use my thighs as an arm rest :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"